Reload this Page >

NSW Ambulance service

NSW Ambulance service

Old Sep 5th 2008, 6:40 pm
Just Joined

Kellas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NSW Ambulance service

Hi all!

This is my first post, I am just away to post an application to NSW for a Paramedic job based on 'RPL.'

My prior was; Combat Medic Royal Marines - Medical Technician Scottish Ambulance Service & last three years have been an Offshore Paramedic Instructor, also have university degree and masters degree, not in medicine though.

Does anyone know if my prior learning / experience will be of any use or does one have to be an in-date paramedic?

Cheers!
Old Sep 7th 2008, 12:07 am
Forum Regular

teepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to all

hi kellas, as far as im aware nsw recruit hpc registered paramedics from uk.
Old Sep 7th 2008, 12:21 am
Forum Regular

Boweaver will become famous soon enough

They've definately obsessed about seeing my registration including all years since first registering.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 4:14 am
Forum Regular

ddavies73 is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Re: NSW Ambulance service

I am a UK passport holder with a US National Registry paramedic certification.

I applied for a Paramedic position with NSW Ambulance back in December 2007. Went through a lot of problems with the RPL process. Eventually got ICP certification. However, they only accept my Paramedic time, and not my time as an EMT. So they could only do a temporary visa as I had only been a paramedic since August 2006.

Went out in June for the interview and testing, was told that everything was good. Informed them that my visa to be in the US was expiring in August, and waiting to start ASAP. Waited for my job offer letter, and missed the September class due to them needing to check things out with regards to my qualification (Isn't that what RPL is for?) After some emails to them, as the time to get into the October class is passing by and I am sitting here running the risk of getting kicked out of the US, NSW Ambulance emailed me back. They informed me that due to changes in the driving license laws I must now wait to see if my license is good. Just got an email back from them saying that I need to have a UK license for 24 passengers. So there goes the job offer :curse:

It wouldn't be so bad, but the driving laws changed before they did my RPL and informed me that they could only do a temporary visa! You would of thought, that as driving is a major part of the job they would check that that option would work before offering me the temp visa.

I feel very let down by NSW Ambulance, and out of pocket by a huge amount of money. I also feel that they do not care that I have spent so much time and effort on this process. All they can say is sorry but we will not be hiring you as you do not have the right driving license. Too bad

I just now question myself as to what kind of organization they would be to work for if this is their attitude?
Old Sep 11th 2008, 11:07 am
Just Joined

ellie10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ddavies73
I am a UK passport holder with a US National Registry paramedic certification.

I applied for a Paramedic position with NSW Ambulance back in December 2007. Went through a lot of problems with the RPL process. Eventually got ICP certification. However, they only accept my Paramedic time, and not my time as an EMT. So they could only do a temporary visa as I had only been a paramedic since August 2006.

Went out in June for the interview and testing, was told that everything was good. Informed them that my visa to be in the US was expiring in August, and waiting to start ASAP. Waited for my job offer letter, and missed the September class due to them needing to check things out with regards to my qualification (Isn't that what RPL is for?) After some emails to them, as the time to get into the October class is passing by and I am sitting here running the risk of getting kicked out of the US, NSW Ambulance emailed me back. They informed me that due to changes in the driving license laws I must now wait to see if my license is good. Just got an email back from them saying that I need to have a UK license for 24 passengers. So there goes the job offer :curse:

It wouldn't be so bad, but the driving laws changed before they did my RPL and informed me that they could only do a temporary visa! You would of thought, that as driving is a major part of the job they would check that that option would work before offering me the temp visa.

I feel very let down by NSW Ambulance, and out of pocket by a huge amount of money. I also feel that they do not care that I have spent so much time and effort on this process. All they can say is sorry but we will not be hiring you as you do not have the right driving license. Too bad

I just now question myself as to what kind of organization they would be to work for if this is their attitude?

I'm really sorry to hear that, you really have been messed around and its not funny when you have put down money. Will you try and get your C1 or are you too pissed off with them to want to work out there.

I was due my offer letter last week so booked in for all my medicals, all our stuff is in storage waiting to get shipped over and I have been told the same thing as you. I am now in the process of outlaying more money to get my C1 and D classification, they have had my driving licence since last November. Am booked to be on the October course but will not be able to do it in time and have been put on the March course.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 11:12 am
Banned

swigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to all

[F]Went out in June for the interview and testing, was told that everything was good. Informed them that my visa to be in the US was expiring in August, and waiting to start ASAP. Waited for my job offer letter, and missed the September class due to them needing to check things out with regards to my qualification (Isn't that what RPL is for?) After some emails to them, as the time to get into the October class is passing by and I am sitting here running the risk of getting kicked out of the US, NSW Ambulance emailed me back. They informed me that due to changes in the driving license laws I must now wait to see if my license is good. Just got an email back from them saying that I need to have a UK license for 24 passengers. So there goes the job offer [/FONT]

When you say a UK licence for 24 passengers, do you mean the C1 & D1? This is what ALL Services in the UK stipulate as a minimum requirement to allow entry. You say you have a UK Passport. Do you have a UK Driving Licence and if so does it have C1 and D1 on?
D1 allows you to drive a minibus size vehicle (up to 16 passengers) which if you passed your test before 1997 you will have on your licence.
For 24 passengers you would need a PCV I think so it may be worth checking your licence and with NSW.
Don't think many people would have PCV on their licence!
Old Sep 11th 2008, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

Unhappy Re: NSW Ambulance service

"Dear David
I am writing to update our information to you regarding the type of driver licence required. The licensing systems between Australia and the UK /other countries are quite different and we have had further discussions on the matter.
Therefore, it has been agreed that Qualified Paramedic applicants require a D and C1 licence ( UK system). It seems the main issue is that paramedics may be required to drive the 24 seater buses.
I see on your USA licence that you cannot carry more than 16 passengers (including the driver), and the weight of the vehicle is not more than 26001 pounds. It would appear you only need a licence which is equivalent to carrying at least 24 passengers.
If you have any further questions, please contact either Elizabeth or myself.
Warm regards,
MishKaa
Telephone 9320 7320 | Facsimile 9320 7818"

So, from the above email, it seems that they require a full D license and not a D1, who has that?
I am also not sure why they need a paramedic to drive a 24 passenger bus Here in the US we drive Freightliner ambulances which are much much bigger than anything they have (everything is bigger in the US)
I think that Queensland is looking?
David
Old Sep 11th 2008, 12:53 pm
Banned

swigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to all

David,

Like you, I cannot understand why they are saying they need this. If it is needed surely you could take a similar kind of test once over there?? I wonder if all the Paramedics employed by them have this entitlement on their licences?
Old Sep 11th 2008, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

theotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nice

Originally Posted by swigski
David,

Like you, I cannot understand why they are saying they need this. If it is needed surely you could take a similar kind of test once over there?? I wonder if all the Paramedics employed by them have this entitlement on their licences?
This is indeed unusual. ASNSW specifically state that you will be required to get a PCV (or LGV - can't remember) licence within 3 months of starting in Aus in order to drive their vehicles. This implies that you'll need to take the Aus lessons/ test
Old Sep 11th 2008, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

The problem seems that some people going over to NSW can not get a NSW driving license upon arrival. So, according to them, they need people to have a D endorsement before they arrive. There is no three months to get it after going over there!
Somewhere, not sure where, NSW Ambulancetalked about getting a Light Rigid endoresment. However, when you look at NSW driving license page the pictures look just like the ones on the D1?
Anyway, the point is that without the full D on the UK driving license NSW Ambulance is not going to hire us.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

theotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nice

The problem seems that some people going over to NSW can not get a NSW driving license upon arrival. So, according to them, they need people to have a D endorsement before they arrive. There is no three months to get it after going over there!
Somewhere, not sure where, NSW Ambulancetalked about getting a Light Rigid endoresment. However, when you look at NSW driving license page the pictures look just like the ones on the D1?
Anyway, the point is that without the full D on the UK driving license NSW Ambulance is not going to hire us.
I still can't understand this?? As a UK licence holder, I would only be able to drive in Aus for 3 months before I had to get an Australian Licence anyway. This would have to include the Light Rigid category to allow me to drive their Ambulances.

If I get a D entitlement here, I would still have to get a NSW licence after 3 months.

Last edited by theotherphil; Sep 11th 2008 at 9:31 pm.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 7:29 am
Banned

This is crazy! Even before if you had both C1 and D1 on your UK licence you would have had to get the Light Rigid through a test. (see an earlier reply by teepee). What difference would it make if you had cat D on your UK licence? It will cost over a £1000 to get it unless you have bus driving experience and would you then still have to take the Light Rigid exam upon arrival??
Old Sep 12th 2008, 9:03 am
Banned

Have just read the RTA NSW site and noticed that the rules for TEMPORARY visitors have changed from April 2008. These people have to be in NSW for 6 months before they can apply for a NSW drivers licence and then it gets marked with a Q and is only valid for 12 months.
So if you are coming on a temp visa then this would apply
May have something to do with it

If you are coming on a Permanent visa the same rules apply in that you can use your UK licence for up to 3 months and then have to change to NSW licence apparently??
Old Sep 12th 2008, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

Eventually got ICP certification. However, they only accept my Paramedic time, and not my time as an EMT. So they could only do a temporary visa as I had only been a paramedic since August 2006.

Yes, my problem is to do with being offered a temp visa. However, I would check with NSW Ambulance to see if thier rule with requiring a D and C1 driving license is also true with perm visa. The email that they sent me made it out that NSW Ambulance is now going to require a C1 and D visa as part of the initial requirements when it comes to applying to them.

I just don't want people apply to them, going through the RPL process, spend over $3000 going out for an interview, thinking they got the job, spending time on medicals and moving. Then being told, at the last minute, that they don't have the right DL and it is cost a huge amount of money to get that DL and then not being sure if they have to go through this process again when they get to NSW. :curse:
Old Sep 12th 2008, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

Yes, my problem is to do with being offered a temp visa. However, I would check with NSW Ambulance to see if thier rule with requiring a D and C1 driving license is also true with perm visa. The email that they sent me made it out that NSW Ambulance is now going to require a C1 and D visa as part of the initial requirements when it comes to applying to them.

I just don't want people apply to them, going through the RPL process, spend over $3000 going out for an interview, thinking they got the job, spending time on medicals and moving. Then being told, at the last minute, that they don't have the right DL and it is cost a huge amount of money to get that DL and then not being sure if they have to go through this process again when they get to NSW. :curse:
Hmm, now it sorta makes sense. I am going for the permanent residency visa but it'd be a bit of a bummer to have to get a cat D on my UK licence!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.