Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Not welcome / Not belonging feeling

Not welcome / Not belonging feeling

Old Jun 14th 2008, 11:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not welcome / Not belonging feeling

Originally Posted by alipally
I feel that unhappy people sometimes do not want to take responsibility for their situations.....

Where you are in the world, or indeed your life, is a result of your own choices. Nobody put you on a prison ship and sent you to Australia. Nobody except yourself is keeping you where you are unhappy against your will

If you truly, truly wanted to move back, then you would find a way and make the necessary sacrifices to seek your own happiness.
You are where you are because you choose to be there. No other reason.... Despite the excuses that you may present to yourself....
Very judgemental - life isnt always about simple self gratification options unfortunately.

Last edited by quoll; Jun 14th 2008 at 11:18 am.
Old Jun 14th 2008, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney, Australia, but home to EU in 2009 for good!
Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

I feel that unhappy people sometimes do not want to take responsibility for their situations.....

Where you are in the world, or indeed your life, is a result of your own choices. Nobody put you on a prison ship and sent you to Australia. Nobody except yourself is keeping you where you are unhappy against your will

If you truly, truly wanted to move back, then you would find a way and make the necessary sacrifices to seek your own happiness.
You are where you are because you choose to be there. No other reason.... Despite the excuses that you may present to yourself....
That’s crap.

Some of us came back because of partners to give and to give Australia a go. You don’t know if it’s going to work out here until you try it.

It’s not that easy for everyone to just go straight back, you have to move your whole life again! I will go back, but it will take me a year, and until then, I will whinge about the place!

Some people can unfortunately never get back, no matter how much they want to, for many different reasons. Not everyone fits into a box.

Mikey
Old Jun 14th 2008, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Very judgemental - life isnt always about simple self gratification options unfortunately.
Yes, I liken it to those who think they are 'parenting experts' but have yet to have children themselves. :curse:

It really gets my goat when you get posters on here who haven't even arrived in Australia yet with the "I won't be like that, it's what you make it, I won't be doing xyz" etc etc. attitude in response to other posters who have actually walked the walk.
Old Jun 14th 2008, 11:39 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabsody
Yes, I liken it to those who think they are 'parenting experts' but have yet to have children themselves. :curse:

It really gets my goat when you get posters on here who haven't even arrived in Australia yet with the "I won't be like that, it's what you make it, I won't be doing xyz" etc etc. attitude in response to other posters who have actually walked the walk.

I thought Alipally was going back to Aus a second time. unless I am mixing them with someone else
Old Jun 14th 2008, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
I thought Alipally was going back to Aus a second time. unless I am mixing them with someone else
Maybe she is, I don't know her personal circumstances. I was talking generally about posters on this forum that come out with those kind of statements which seem to be quite prevalent on here lately.
Old Jun 14th 2008, 11:52 am

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe she is, I don't know her personal circumstances. I was talking generally about posters on this forum that come out with those kind of statements which seem to be quite prevalent on here lately.
Ahh I see.

I agree. You aint got a clue till you live here and 12000 miles away all you know is sand, sea, big houses and a few cuddly Koala's and kangaroo's in your back yard.

All these years later and I'm still looking for Skippy. Lying bastards
Old Jun 14th 2008, 12:09 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Ahh I see.

I agree. You aint got a clue till you live here and 12000 miles away all you know is sand, sea, big houses and a few cuddly Koala's and kangaroo's in your back yard.

All these years later and I'm still looking for Skippy. Lying bastards
I saw him lying on his back on the side of the road yesterday on my way into work.
Old Jun 14th 2008, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

michael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud of

Maybe because I live in an area of Sydney that has high Asian population but I don't get that unwelcome vibe from second or third generation Aussies. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Like with the US, Britain and Australia are divided by a common language. Just because we speak the same language doesn't mean we are the same. Most of my Aussie friends are what I would call Anglophile Aussies, but there are a lot of Australians out there who don't give a rats arese about Britain and don't see pom migrants as being any different to the average Greeks, Brazilian or Indian migrant.

After ten years I think I'm used to it.
Old Jun 15th 2008, 7:02 am
looking for my marbles

ozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to behold

by the same token some of us who havent yet made the move do get a bit fed up of people on this site constantly whinging, no i havent made the move yet but i do get sick of hearing how crap it is. IOf its that crap i will find out for my self, anyway some people are never happy no matter what. This site is enough to put people off moving anywhere except your back garden

Like anything in life, its what u make of it, and on that i can have an opinion
Old Jun 15th 2008, 7:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ozzieclare2b
by the same token some of us who havent yet made the move do get a bit fed up of people on this site constantly whinging, no i havent made the move yet but i do get sick of hearing how crap it is. IOf its that crap i will find out for my self, anyway some people are never happy no matter what. This site is enough to put people off moving anywhere except your back garden

Like anything in life, its what u make of it, and on that i can have an opinion
I don't say it's crap. I think there is good and bad in both places.

To be truthful I do get annoyed by being trapped here with my circumstances but I don't know if I could settle back in UK either (family is the main pull). And I do get annoyed by those who won't accept any criticism of either Aus or UK - because it builds up false expectations of some kind of utopian existence (which is what I thought before I came out the first time on a WHV).

But I would certainly never put anyone off the idea of moving here, you won't know until you try. There are still many positives to living here (number one in my eyes being it is a good place to bring up children, closely followed by the weather).

Good luck with your move.
Old Jun 15th 2008, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I saw him lying on his back on the side of the road yesterday on my way into work.
Next you'll be telling me Santa doesn't exist
Old Jun 15th 2008, 7:29 am

I don't say it's crap. I think there is good and bad in both places.

To be truthful I do get annoyed by being trapped here with my circumstances but I don't know if I could settle back in UK either (family is the main pull). And I do get annoyed by those who won't accept any criticism of either Aus or UK - because it builds up false expectations of some kind of utopian existence (which is what I thought before I came out the first time on a WHV).

But I would certainly never put anyone off the idea of moving here, you won't know until you try. There are still many positives to living here (number one in my eyes being it is a good place to bring up children, closely followed by the weather).

Good luck with your move.
Excellent post. That's exactly it.

This site needs a balance of opinion but that shouldn't put anyone off coming to Aus. It's the extremest views that are misleading as no where is 100% perfect nor 100% bad.

With "happy clappy" posters or "down in the dump all the time" posters youshould take a middle of the road view.

Everyone has a right to their own view and opinion and the world is as they see it through their own eyes. It's up to the reader to interpret it correctly and even then, it could be different for them.

BTW: I agree Aus is a great place to bring up kids. That must be hard for you Rab, to be in two places in your heart at once
Old Jun 15th 2008, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

donovandenese will become famous soon enough

thats a completely unrealistic comment. very few people live in such a selfcontained bubble! choices and actions have to be made along with significant others (partners/parents/children) as everything affects them too and they may not feel the same way. its hardly a easy choice to stay where you don't want to be and be less than perfectly happy, or leave your partner/children behind?!
Old Jun 15th 2008, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

MINTS will become famous soon enough

Hi guys,

I'm on my way to Melbourne apx November this year and have been reading these posts with much interest and slight confusion!
Can anyone educate me with what the culture differences actually are and what I should be expecting?
Furthermore, I have read that Australians can be very straight to point and therefore hurtful, compared to most British who can be more tactful. But then a few posts later Poms are brash and Australians are backstabbers!!! Is this not just the usual different personalities that we meet in life, despite nationality?
Sorry to rattle on, but I still would be interested to understand more about what the culture differences are.

Thanks

Mints
Old Jun 15th 2008, 9:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MINTS
Hi guys,

I'm on my way to Melbourne apx November this year and have been reading these posts with much interest and slight confusion!
Can anyone educate me with what the culture differences actually are and what I should be expecting?
Furthermore, I have read that Australians can be very straight to point and therefore hurtful, compared to most British who can be more tactful. But then a few posts later Poms are brash and Australians are backstabbers!!! Is this not just the usual different personalities that we meet in life, despite nationality?
Sorry to rattle on, but I still would be interested to understand more about what the culture differences are.

Thanks

Mints
Australia is a very multicultural, cosmopolitan kind of place so it is almost impossible t say what is the "Australian" personality. Everyone is different just the same as the Poms. You will probably notice a difference as portrayed in the media which is a kind of arrogant "Aussie is best" sort of presentation (like the ad at for the Olympics - watch this coverage and see "every Australian medal" - they probably wont be showing that many other medal presentations and there is the assumption that Aus will be winning squillions of medals).

You'll be fine, the only thing that no host nation enjoys is immigrants coming in and telling it like it is "back home" so if you refrain from comparing (unless it is favourable to Aus) you will be fine and fit in nicely.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.