Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Not welcome / Not belonging feeling

Not welcome / Not belonging feeling

Old Jan 21st 2009, 1:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not welcome / Not belonging feeling

Originally Posted by hippyboy1
Without idealising Australia too much, Australia has or at least once had a culture whereby average-wage earners had a sense of responsibility to fellow workers rather than the rich boss. Its called egalitarianism and 'standing by ones mates'.
The British employee in question puts the rights of the boss and his wallet first-typical British working class tugging the forelock.
Many working class Brits are completely screwed up by a culture that forrces them to idolise the posh and glamorous-and hope for their approval. Hence their slavish adherence to conservative 'daily-mail' views.
Sadly and misguidedly venting their bitterness on fellow working Poles and Pakistani's, and accusing 'PC Bleeding hearts' of being behind the import of cheap labour.
Australia egalitarian??What decade are you referring to??Standing by your mates..wonder if anyone really believes these well worn cliches??Surely not.And the Aussie worker does not put his wallet before or else.??
Sections of the British working class put up one hell of a fight in the eighties against the massed forces of the political right(namely Coal Miners,Print Workers to name a few)
Aussies used to complain about Trade Union Leaders having an overwhelming number of British accents.The comment often went that they had stuffed their country and now thay come over here to do the same to ours.(Australia)
I would suggest you can not have it both ways.
It is probably fair to say that the working class became very devided from this period and a lot went on and made a lot of money while another section became more marginalised and never recovered but this was not unique to Britain.
Australians on the other, hand from personal experience only, are very compliant with authority,so much for another cliche that claims the opposite to be the case.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 3:06 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Australians on the other, hand from personal experience only, are very compliant with authority,so much for another cliche that claims the opposite to be the case.

I must also agree with this, of course just in my experence

The stereotype of a Crocodile Dundee type figure giving authority the finger couldn't be further from the truth.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 3:41 am
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dave99
I have been in australia for a couple of years and constantly get the feeling I am out of place, that I do not belong or are not welcome, does this feeling ever pass?

I find that some australians are fine and act nice and perfectly normal but some act as if they have a problem with, like a chip on thier shoulder when they hear my english accent.
I have known australians for some time and yet things can be perfectly fine then one day they will making passing comments that feel like a slap in the face, comments that make you realise they view you as a visitor, that you dont belong in their country.
If its not nasty comments it could be done in the form of jokes at social events, or even simply saying 'oh you wouldnt understand not being from australia' comment and refusal to explain a term or name thats come up that I dont know and have enquired about

Its hard to explain but it all adds up to a feeling of not being welcome or not being wanted in this country, like they view us as tourists who have outstayed their welcome.

Does anyone else get this feeling?
Have you known someone for awhile and had them make sneaky comments that have made you rethink how they really view you?
I would say I have experienced this a bit.

I hate that feeling of saying something sarcastic or funny and someone doesn't get it at all. I've lived in the US for a short while and the one thing I find different in both US and Australia is the humour. Hubby and I do miss the good laugh and the ability to not take yourself so seriously side of humour and be rather dry about things.

I would say though that I have sat with a few Brits and not found them remotely humorous to.