Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Not welcome / Not belonging feeling

Not welcome / Not belonging feeling

Old Jun 10th 2008, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

paula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Not welcome / Not belonging feeling

Originally Posted by Syedney
What's the problem here??

Are we already whingeing again?? No wonder the Ozzies (or m-ozzies!) call us WPs!

Cheer up guys and gals and please lighten up!!!

You can't meet everyone that will endear to you or vice versa!!!

If the oz get along better is only NATURAL: they understand fully their culture whereas you don't. You may get some of the culture but not everything!!

Watch your kids though!!! They'll blend in better than you!!

For a start, they won't be whingeing but will take things in their stride!!

Man, tell me something: have you not noticed in UK how many emigrants you REALLY got on with?? in every level???

Not many, huh?

Just cheer up. Know that there will be some differences between us and them.

Respect it and be proud of it.

Don't let something so....Ruin your life!
I dont think we are whingers, I just think we are a lot more honest with situations.
If we dont like something, or disagree with something we will be honest enough to tell someone.
I worked with a lot of Aussies who did nothing but moan, about everyday life in Australia, Politics, Petrol, Price of food, you name it they moaned about it.
We are not the only ones who moan.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 2:26 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Be 100% honest when you answer...How many immigrant FRIENDS did you have in UK? Not acquaintences, but real friends. Then ask yourself why you would expect the Australians to be any different.
thats so right!! I mean how many of us when in the UK were open armed and welcoming to the Poles coming (legally) who we were applying for jobs or talking in a pub, or moving into our street.

Its always amusing to hear that people often site immigrants as a reason for leaving the UK - not wanting the multiculuralism going so far, not wanting to lose the "Brit" identity etcetc and then becoming an immigrant themselves and wondering why locals arent rushing around plumping up cushions for them!
Old Jun 10th 2008, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

Jadea will become famous soon enoughJadea will become famous soon enough

I can't really say a lot about it as we are just starting the visa process...

My mum is german, my dad british. His family moved to Australia at the end of the 70's, so all of my cousins my age are Australians. I grew up in Germany, where I still live. Together with my OH, who is british.

When we visit family and friends in the UK, I love it there, but do feel very german.
When I'm at work or around my friends here in Germany, I don't. I feel british (especially when people are looking at me weird because they don't get my kind of humour). They think I'm a bit too british
Coming back home my OH loves annoying me by telling me what a typical German I am.

Mhm, what's my point? It doesn't matter if you're "different" than the people around you. If you don't click with someone because of your accent etc., then you wouldn't have clicked with that person if he/she was speaking your language or had your accent either.

I will never be able to speak english without my german accent, and I don't care. As long as everyone understands me, I couldn't care less.

I have good friends which are german, british, polish, american and dutch. And I'm pretty close to my australian family. They all have different kinds of humour, different ways of living their lives,etc. and I accept it, as they accept mine.
I've lived in Germany all my life, and I can count my close german friends on one hand, so I don't expect coming to Australia and make lots of friends within a short time.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

PC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nice

Originally Posted by scottie
Interesting reading guys. Have friends who have moved over all ready and they say much the same things. However, we are Scottish, so are defo crap at sport and will love adopting aussie rugby team (just wish they were a bit better looking). Resigned 2 fact gonna spend months falling off a surf board b4 can even lie on it 2 paddle out and sure everyone gonna think we have a funny (defo not posh accent). Gonna give it a big go anyway and hope for the best. Lucky 2 in a way cos loads of uk paramedics going out at same time so we all be in the same boat which will hopefully make things a little easier.
Start with Boogie boarding mate - you can't fall off!

The thought of so many Scottish paramedics asking dazed accident victims what symptoms they have 'doesn'y paint a pretty picture' Scottie, you'll need to a least practice some posh stuff every now and then. And then there's the Geordie paramedics...

Paul

PS Some of my best mates are/were Scots and Geordies!
Old Jun 10th 2008, 11:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney, Australia, but home to EU in 2009 for good!
Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dave99
If its not nasty comments it could be done in the form of jokes at social events, or even simply saying 'oh you wouldnt understand not being from australia' comment

Whenever I hear that I just reply with, “oh I miss Culture, High Wages, Modern technology, cheap flights, commercial free TV and better food....Oh sorry, you wouldn’t understand not being from the EU”

It usually shuts them up.

Mikey
Old Jun 11th 2008, 1:20 am
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kalenge
Well said Dorothy - that says it all.

There seems to be an expectation for Australians to go out of their way to integrate and accept newly arrived immigrants, but nothing in their life has actually changed, it's really up to the immigrants to forge the relationships.

I think there's also a proportion of immigrants who tend to stick to their own and frequent places which have more (recent) immigrants than local Australians. I'm not sure how they can expect to ever feel integrated.
If we act like British Expats we will always be seen as British Expats.
I agree with this

we dont know any other poms here. we chose to live in a small community we knew no one and have no kids, the key we have found is join in with anything going, even if its not the kind of thing you would have done in the UK, that way you get to know people.

our community club has all sorts of stuff going on, on the surface my initial thoughts were oh god i'm not doing that... its such a far cry from my social life in the UK.. but we had two choices either sit in the house or go join in.

you do profit both ways from showing an interest, not only have we made some good friends you get to know local buisnessmen/tradesmen and its a nightmare trying to get tradesmen round here. In turn my OH is fitting a new bar in the club he is also doing a skit dressed as a woman in the variety show.. though I personally do think thats taking it a little too far
Old Jun 11th 2008, 2:35 am
Forum Regular

PC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mikeyc
Whenever I hear that I just reply with, “oh I miss Culture, High Wages, Modern technology, cheap flights, commercial free TV and better food....Oh sorry, you wouldn’t understand not being from the EU”

It usually shuts them up.

Mikey
Seriously?

If I said that you'd never see me again. Too many chefs around here...
Old Jun 11th 2008, 4:25 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Exactly.

The key to it all is integration. "When in Rome, do as the Romans do". It's something I hear often in the UK, but usually in reference to people entering the country (not leaving it).

I've had to integrate into UK society just to get along with the people and get ahead in employment. I expect the same of anyone who moves to my country.

Poms complain a lot about immigrants who refuse to integrate when they come to the UK - and rightly so! But are they remembering to do the same when they become immigrants themselves?
Here's a hypothetical.

On Monday I am a British immigrant and I have certain gripes that relate to Australia. I tell people about my concerns and I get called a winging pom. I am told "when in Rome do as the Roman's do!".

On Tuesday I attend my citizenship ceremony and formally become an Australian. I am now a fully fledged member of Australian society. I still have the same concerns and issues about Australia and I announce them to the world once more. What does that make me? What should I do as a consequence? What are the implications of the transition in status between Monday and Tuesday? Are my suggestions for change the inappropriate ramblings of a discontent immigrant or the progressive and appropriate words of a new Australian?
Old Jun 11th 2008, 4:37 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Here's a hypothetical.

On Monday I am a British immigrant and I have certain gripes that relate to Australia. I tell people about my concerns and I get called a winging pom. I am told "when in Rome do as the Roman's do!".

On Tuesday I attend my citizenship ceremony and formally become an Australian. I am now a fully fledged member of Australian society. I still have the same concerns and issues about Australia and I announce them to the world once more. What does that make me? What should I do as a consequence? What are the implications of the transition in status between Monday and Tuesday? Are my suggestions for change the inappropriate ramblings of a discontent immigrant or the progressive and appropriate words of a new Australian?
Being 'Australian' is not about attending a ceremony and receiving a small flag and a pot plant. I've held Australian citizenship since birth and yet I'm not really Australian. I'm all for adopting the ways and modes of an adopted country, but I think you can go too far too quickly.
Old Jun 11th 2008, 4:44 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Being 'Australian' is not about attending a ceremony and receiving a small flag and a pot plant. I've held Australian citizenship since birth and yet I'm not really Australian. I'm all for adopting the ways and modes of an adopted country, but I think you can go too far too quickly.
Well, I agree but where does one draw the line in the sand that allows the new Australian to be accepted as a true Australian? Also, with all due respect, I can't really see the relevance of your example as my hypothetical was based upon someone having lived here for at least the minimum amount of time necessary to apply for citizenship. With having spent at least two years "on the ground" surely this counts towards becoming Australian through familiarity and experience? Is this not implied by the state-defined pre-requisites for gaining citizenship?

So, further questions are:

Do they ever become Australian? Is this something that needs to be earned above and beyond the existing requirements for citizenship? When will the new Australian have a voice that is worth listening to?

Last edited by DunRoaminTheUK; Jun 11th 2008 at 5:20 am. Reason: Something to add
Old Jun 11th 2008, 6:45 am

oliver1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

I reckon that as long as I speak in an English accent I will be considered English (even though I'm Welsh anyway) and not accepted as 'Australian'...even if I became a citizen and then went on to have lots of Steve Irwin/Crocodile Dundee 'footie' loving, true blue stereotype aussie hard core children.

With regards to whinging - I've met some of the biggest moaners of my life here is Brisbane.

And back to the original question, I have always been made to feel very welcome here and have fitted in no probs. But then I've made a point of NEVER saying "In the UK we do it like this..." (I never mention the UK unless specifically asked about it). And I haven't met/spoken with/hung out with any fellow UK'ers.
Old Jun 11th 2008, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

And I haven't met/spoken with/hung out with any fellow UK'ers.

Jeez

where do you live in the middle of a desert
Old Jun 11th 2008, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

Location: Am here!!!!! Beautiful sunny coast! On Oct induction :-))))))
scottie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PC Pom
Start with Boogie boarding mate - you can't fall off!

The thought of so many Scottish paramedics asking dazed accident victims what symptoms they have 'doesn'y paint a pretty picture' Scottie, you'll need to a least practice some posh stuff every now and then. And then there's the Geordie paramedics...

Paul

PS Some of my best mates are/were Scots and Geordies!
Lol, Mine 2!!!
Given the height of me a boogie board is about the same size as a full size surf board 2 normal people.
Old Jun 11th 2008, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

kelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cypry
!
If the oz get along better is only NATURAL: they understand fully their culture whereas you don't. You may get some of the culture but not everything!!

Culture??
Sorry have I missed something[/QUOTE]
ha ha ha haha ha hahaha can somebody help me up???!!!!
Old Jun 11th 2008, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

kelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I find some of the more selfish Australians I meet (at work but not in my division as our division attracts self-confessed intellectuals! now there's a thing) remind me of some of the people you find living on the edges of London. Lots of money, sort of successful but not very enlightened. Areas like Essex and some tiny parts of SW London spring to mind.

I see it as a work and get ahead thing and can't in some ways knock it. At the end of the day we're not all enlightened and when you move overseas to a place many will end up in anywhere suburb and then the problems can really set in.

I find Pom migrants a funny breed too. Most I have met fall into sort of vague categories which I can sort of identify here:

The ones I identify with the most are very self-reliant, switched on - have often worked overseas before. They would never dream of comparing or knocking Australians - they are too busy getting on with life. Often have a knack or a fair bit of savvy. Good diplomats, capable, can relate to a variety of people. Nothing is too hard for them. I give you old Buzzy Bee himself.

The others are what I call Little Englanders. Want a big house and accessories (never mind the politics) and that might and will do for many. The more individual ones tire of it and wish they were back in their centrally-heated, 3 bed semis with floating floors and DVD pine cabinets in Greater Manchester. Yes I have a pine DVD cabinet but I made it myself.

The final category are unfortunately what I call the ''social hand grenades''. There is one woman starting in the office now. The ones who really DO moan, and frankly do nothing for the old joke and stereotype Australians occasionally like to rib us about. Often a bit negative (they don't even realise it) who get people's backs up. Might be in a half-decent job, but you wonder how, or could still be productive and capable. Often you can't work out what is missing - they seem to lack tact, sagacity etc.These are the people who probably criticise Australians the most but themselves are bashed or tolerated as much by everyone else. Best avoided!
surely as a brit yourself you could be a bit kinder on the generalisations badge??

I have read your post and cant work out where we would fit in?! could you add another couple of catagories please?!

Last edited by kelbelinoz; Jun 11th 2008 at 7:37 pm. Reason: bad smelling!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.