Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Nightmare RE Agent and landlord

Nightmare RE Agent and landlord

Old Apr 9th 2012, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nightmare RE Agent and landlord

Originally Posted by Pomster
Anyway we found that only one bond can be held per property, so were happy to take it to tribunal as it meant the place could not be relet/new bond accepted.
I didn't know that! You could really mess up the rental by dragging out the tribunal if that is the case.
Old Apr 9th 2012, 10:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

We own a property thats managed by an agent, same tenant for 2 years, all was going great we thought. Turns out the agent hasnt inspected the property for the entire 2 years despite charging full fees.

Went to house on weekend, its pretty knocked around, and they were running a home business from there that due to the chemicals would have voided our house insurance.

This is a very very large, well known, australia wide RE agency.
Old Apr 9th 2012, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

OakTree has much to be proud ofOakTree has much to be proud ofOakTree has much to be proud ofOakTree has much to be proud ofOakTree has much to be proud ofOakTree has much to be proud ofOakTree has much to be proud ofOakTree has much to be proud ofOakTree has much to be proud ofOakTree has much to be proud ofOakTree has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pomster
we rented in the Cmberwell area via FN in Balwyn.

They were awful.
Tried to accuse us of not cleaning the carpet, despite the agent coming at the same time bloke was unloading his carpet cleaning equipment.
Said the 'brown circular marks on bedroom carpet' noted on the condition report were not the same as cigarette burns....we don't smoke!

Anyway we found that only one bond can be held per property, so were happy to take it to tribunal as it meant the place could not be relet/new bond accepted. Strangely this got the agent moving and our bond was returned.

It should have been too as the place was spotless, and far better than when we moved in...

Good luck

Thanks.

We're hoping to get this sorted at VCAT. The agent just advised us that VCAT always awards them the cleaning charges. That could change now given the fact that it is significantly tidier state than before, so may be we should be paid instead.

Last edited by OakTree; Apr 10th 2012 at 1:09 am.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 3:38 am
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

Not Aussie related but when we moved over here the landlord in Bromley said they wanted us to have the flat professionally cleaned from top to bottom as we'd been there for over 7 years. We were getting quotes when the caretaker happened to mention that the flat was being gutted and re-furbished once we'd moved out!!! Can you imagine how peeved we would be if we'd spent money cleaning carpets that the landlord was planning on ripping up, regardless of their condition?? Needless to say we challanged the landlord and they admitted that they were gutting the flat. B@stards...

We still cleaned and left the place neat and tidy..and got our full deposit back.

Out REA here is a bit useless, took 6 months to get a window fixed and they've ignored larger issued which need to be addressed. We'll hopefully move once our lease is up in September. We have a little note that was left for us the last time the place was inspected thanking us for keeping it in such good condition. Needless to say we'll be producing it if they try and complain about anything haha!

Tx
Old Apr 10th 2012, 4:48 am
Forum Regular

OakTree has much to be proud ofOakTree has much to be proud ofOakTree has much to be proud ofOakTree has much to be proud ofOakTree has much to be proud ofOakTree has much to be proud ofOakTree has much to be proud ofOakTree has much to be proud ofOakTree has much to be proud ofOakTree has much to be proud ofOakTree has much to be proud of

The agent has come back and the proposed deduction has reduced from $500 to $100 for the inside cleaning. Probably something to do with those photos.

So will see them at the VCAT now. As I am 'jobless' at the moment this should keep me busy for sometime. Am sure someone who was working and cannot afford to take time off would probably think it just isn't worth the money/effort and would just pay up. Not me. This isn't about money at all but principle. I'd rather donate my money to charity than let an unscrupulous agent/landlord lay their hands on it.

Last edited by OakTree; Apr 10th 2012 at 6:20 am.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 6:05 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

[

DO NOT LET THEM AWAY WITH IT..
We were suckers. You cannot reason with unreasonable people, so we just walked away.
I only wish I had given the Barstards something to clean !!!
and we had CREAM carpets in both places and used the ovens.[/QUOTE]

Thats it , i'm throwing a party this weekend , will tell people to keep their shoes on and spill red wine, and will cook the party food in the oven::
Old Apr 10th 2012, 6:10 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by elice_in_oz
We never had any grief from agents or landlords in the 5 properties we rented over 7 years before we bought. Only once did the agent keep some of the bond money to replace a cracked window (not sure how it cracked but since we lived in the house at the time, it was our responsibility). It is often down to the individual property manager really and I guess we got lucky all those years. Also, it pays to know your rights as a tenant, and to make sure you communicate with the agent from the start, especially about the initial inspection. Make sure you write everything down, even small scratches and document with photos, with a newspaper in to show the date or emailed straight away to have proof of date.
good thinking about the newspaper, will use that nxt time round.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 6:14 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by OakTree
The agent has come back and the proposed deduction has reduced from $500 to $100 for the inside cleaning. Probably something to do with those photos.

So will see them at the VCAT now. As I am 'jobless' at the moment this should keep me busy for sometime. Am sure somebody who was working and cannot afford to take time off would probably think it just isn't worth the money/effort and would just pay up. Not me. This isn't about money at all but principle. I'd rather donate my money to charity than let an unscrupulous agent/landlord lay their hands on it.
You have my full and utter admiration, best of luck to ya,
Old Apr 10th 2012, 1:14 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret3
good thinking about the newspaper, will use that nxt time round.
We took photos on the day we moved in with every single scratch etc and we printed them out with the property inspection form we had and gave it to the Real Estate agent that very day.

We got all our money back except for the carpet cleaning which was fine as we had Gordon anyway.

But photos were taken immediately and served us well in our case, mind you our agent was really nice which is very rare.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 1:54 pm
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, cheetah7, I seem to recall in the dim distant memory of the past that you had a horrid time with a landlord in London...

Did I imagine that one?
Old Apr 10th 2012, 3:03 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alipally
Ah, cheetah7, I seem to recall in the dim distant memory of the past that you had a horrid time with a landlord in London...

Did I imagine that one?
Oh god no, that was real - a complete and utter tosser, not just with us either, all his previous tenants.

Ill never forget him or what he did.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jad n rich
We own a property thats managed by an agent, same tenant for 2 years, all was going great we thought. Turns out the agent hasnt inspected the property for the entire 2 years despite charging full fees.
Never had a rental inspection in 7 years. Rental agents are a waste of time.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 12:47 am
Forum Regular

I spoke to the new property manager who is now handling the property. The previous agent is no longer with the company.

According to this property manager:

"We do not believe we have a case against you and will not be proceeding with VCAT. It appears the previous agent did not inspect the property properly at the beginning of your lease"

I was asked to forward the email correspondence exchanged with the previous property manager which I just did.

So will wait for the above confirmation in writing before I do a victory dance.

To those that posted on this thread and provided some great advice and support – thank you so much and I sincerely appreciate it

Last edited by OakTree; Apr 13th 2012 at 1:14 am.