Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Meeting people in Sydney of my age

Meeting people in Sydney of my age

Old Apr 13th 2012, 1:21 am
Just Joined

Un1ty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Meeting people in Sydney of my age

Hey everyone, I have a chance to live in Sydney, Australia, im 20 at the moment but im nervous as ive never lived outside of 70 miles away from my family and i will be living alone if I go, how do I meet people my age as none of my family will be allowed the visa to live there with me.

thanks
Old Apr 13th 2012, 1:49 am
Forum Regular

coldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nice
Default Re: Meeting people in Sydney of my age

Originally Posted by Un1ty
Hey everyone, I have a chance to live in Sydney, Australia, im 20 at the moment but im nervous as ive never lived outside of 70 miles away from my family and i will be living alone if I go, how do I meet people my age as none of my family will be allowed the visa to live there with me.

thanks
What accommodation are you thinking of? That's pretty much the toughest thing about Sydney, if you can get a house share with people your own age you should start to make friends via them. Other options are work of course and sporting clubs etc. Sydney would be great, but I understand daunting at 20 y.o. I first came over at 23 (long time ago) and had a ball, hope you do too!

With respect, it may also depend on how outgoing and "worldly" you are.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 1:52 am
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya!

Work is usually the first place you'll meet people. If you're lucky they'll be sympathetic to you being new in the city and offer to take you out and show you around. After that it's the usual places...sports/choir/day trips/clubs etc. There are tons of backpackers tours and trips you can go on and people in Sydney are *generally* friendly so i reckon you'll be fine

enjoy!
Old Apr 13th 2012, 2:07 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Very interested to know what visa you are coming on considering your age and the fact your family are not entitled to come with you. If it's a WHV then I'm not sure why you'd be tied to Sydney.