Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Nice area with 30 mins of CBD of melbourne

Nice area with 30 mins of CBD of melbourne

Old May 24th 2009, 1:51 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nice area with 30 mins of CBD of melbourne

[QUOTE=Margaret3;7600568]
Originally Posted by Petals
Why not try the other way Ascot Vale, Pascoe Vale, Moonee Ponds, Northcote, Cllifton Hill or Rosanna, Bulleen, Ivanhoe. Ascot Vale is close to the city and close to the major hospitals, Childrens, Royal Melbourne, St Vincents, Freemasons, Eye and Ear.

Rosanna way its close to the Austin Hospital.

yep all good areas and also near watsonia, i work at austin and think its an excellent hosp

I love ivanhoe, but house prices ouwith my range
Ivanhoe is out of the price range of most people me thinks.... have you seen the cost of Eaglemont recently?

I always think that McLeod and Rosanna are well priced. Watsonia is a fair area and there some nice houses to be had in Greensborough (have to kind of know the area to make sure that its good street etc). Once they spend all of that promised money on Greensborough, anywhere close by might be a good choice.

There are also some good places in Heidelburg (I think it is West Heidleburg and the Heights that should be avoided but I could be wrong). I think Heidelburg would be a good bet for the future and prices are starting to reflect that.
Old May 24th 2009, 4:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Beach, Family, 600 bucks, non Rowdy, 30 mins..... Probably Altona or Williamstown if you can find a place in Williamstown for 600 bucks.

The rest of the places dont tick all the boxes.

Concentrate on Altona, you'll get a good place there for that price. A lot of UK New Arrivals at the Royal Melbourne Hospital have bought there. I was talking to someone on Friday Night that cycles in, in less than 30 mins.

No Beaches over this side of town, within 40 mins, and probably too busy for someone that specifies family. Although I'd advise the OP that there is plenty to do around here.

Ascot Vale and Maribyrnong could be worth a look as quieter sub 30 min subs where the sub 600 buck PW figures come in. I doubt if you could get decent family accom in Clifton Hill, Northcote or Brunswick for under 600 PW.... Pascoe Vale could be worth a look as well.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; May 24th 2009 at 4:22 pm.
Old May 24th 2009, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Point Cook is very good, probably one of the most family friendly suburbs in Melbourne IMO. Parks everywhere, kids playing outdoors, many people walking dogs, low crime etc. New shops and good facilities with easy access to the airport and average of 30 minutes to the city. (weekends about 20 minutes). Easy access to Geelong and the Great Ocean Road beaches. (Don't underestimate this advantage in summer when you can easily access proper ocean/surf beaches within an hours drive, living in the East can add an hour each way)

It has large modern homes that are reasonably cheap ($300-$400pw for large 3/4 bedroom houses).

Alternatively Kingsville, Yarraville and Seddon are all very nice and pretty quick to get into the city.

Don't automatically shun the west side for the east because of downright snobbery - plenty of crap areas in the East too and I'm really not sure what is so special about places like Moorabbin, Hampton East, Highett etc.
Old May 24th 2009, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71

Don't automatically shun the west side for the east because of downright snobbery - plenty of crap areas in the East too and I'm really not sure what is so special about places like Moorabbin, Hampton East, Highett etc.
I don't think it's anything to do with snobbery, some just prefer established suburbs, with proper town centres and a bit of history. Some prefer new build estates. Nothing wrong with either. However, for me, it's the surrounding flat and dry land in the West that makes the area unattractive.
Old May 24th 2009, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

JCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud of

Thanks guys,som egreat replies

I was origianlly thinking around Geelong way but alot of peeps were saying its "baron" but the eastside is more colourfull?

So 30/40 mins westside from the city would take us in the Altona area?

Is this a nice place/beaches(calm/surf?/nice walks and also nice houses?

We will after a year im sure buy a nice new modern(unit?).
We are not a fan of new houses over in the uk but love the contempary look(maybe ill do a old house up)

Please keep areas coming please.

We would rather pay a around$500 but dont want a bad area

Thanks guys n gals

jase
Old May 24th 2009, 8:59 pm
Hasta la victoria siempre

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light

No surfing in Melbourne, until you get past Geelong.

Williamstown - old historic suburb - been there many many years, so definitely got some character.

Altona - cheaper, some hoons, not much to do. Julia Gillard lives there sometimes and I used to see her in Coles. (Don't know if thats a pro or a con)

Point Cook - cheap, no public transport direct into city. Nothing to do there except drive somewhere else....
Old May 24th 2009, 9:53 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Elwood-Black Rock etc southwards down towards the Peninsula? <30 mins(?)
Yep, over 30 mins commute to the CBD from there.

To be honest if the OP is after a 3 bedroom property within walking distance of the beach on the South East that is within anything approaching a 30 min commute without getting 10+ speeding fines a week then you're talking around $500-$600 a week.

Al
Old May 24th 2009, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Crow
I don't think it's anything to do with snobbery, some just prefer established suburbs, with proper town centres and a bit of history. Some prefer new build estates. Nothing wrong with either. However, for me, it's the surrounding flat and dry land in the West that makes the area unattractive.
Many Melbournites do write off the West purely on snobbery though, historically with very good reasons and many of those reasons still exist. But in the last 10 years that has changed immensely because of the housing crisis and suburbs like Point Cook are packed full of families and are great places to live. However neighboring suburbs like Laverton, Werribee and Hoppers Crossing are a lot cheaper, rougher and fit the Western 'stereotype' a lot more.

As for the other comment on nothing there, its kind of true, but then you have to drive somewhere in most Melbourne suburbs unless you live in the very inner ones like South Yarra, Richmond etc. And let's not forget that the lack of public transport eastern suburbs too, like between St Kilda and Hampton/Brighton - and is one reason why Point Cook has an extremely low crime rate (apparently there are strong correlations between amount of crime and train stations)
Old May 24th 2009, 9:57 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Nice area with 30 mins of CBD of melbourne

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Looks tidy but what in the name of god is that thing on the roof? If that's the air con, it's huge
Yep, it's evaporative aircon. Ugly as sin, and useless in humid weather.
Old May 25th 2009, 1:21 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=busterboy;7600815]
Originally Posted by Margaret3

Ivanhoe is out of the price range of most people me thinks.... have you seen the cost of Eaglemont recently?

I always think that McLeod and Rosanna are well priced. Watsonia is a fair area and there some nice houses to be had in Greensborough (have to kind of know the area to make sure that its good street etc). Once they spend all of that promised money on Greensborough, anywhere close by might be a good choice.

There are also some good places in Heidelburg (I think it is West Heidleburg and the Heights that should be avoided but I could be wrong). I think Heidelburg would be a good bet for the future and prices are starting to reflect that.

yep, thats certainly the feedback i get from work, they seem to hate west heidelbur and the heights, i looked at macleod , didnt do it for me, but am ok with roasanna and watsonia, greensborough i find can be a hit or miss, and ave heard they are doing the shops up there, so imagine it will go up in price, according to my aussie collegues, am on a 'beer budget, but looking for a champagne lifestyle', that made me laugh.

To be honest, its all a long cunning plan, in the hope we will be able to make some dosh in the nxt few years and leave us with a choice of going back to the homeland, right now we have no choice as we have no money