Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

New "Virgin" credit card - is it just me?

New "Virgin" credit card - is it just me?

Old Jan 29th 2009, 3:55 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New "Virgin" credit card - is it just me?

I received an answer to my email today. In part:
>> Dear Mr Wol

Thank you for your email regarding Chip technology. We welcome the opportunity to assist with your enquiry.

Mr Wol, as the Australian and global market is currently in the process of moving to Chip payment terminals, you will still need your magnetic stripe to support terminals that haven't yet been upgraded to Chip technology, thus why you have the option of signature or pin.

To view more information on the new Chip Technology, I have included the link below for your interest.

http://www.westpac.com.au/internet/p...CS+Chip+FAQs#8

Mr Wol, we trust this information is of assistance. Should you have any further enquiries, please contact us by email or call Card Services on 1300 651 089 if you are calling from within Australia or on + 61 2 9374 7082 if calling from overseas (available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week) and one of our Banking Representatives will be happy to assist you.

Yours sincerely xxxxxx <<

Why do I think that's from a computer?....
Old Jan 29th 2009, 3:59 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
The reason for the chip is that if you want to use the card in UK and other places that now only take chip cards you can.
I was still able to use my chipless AMEX card in the UK recently....although I did get a lot of blank looks. Some of the younger assistants who clearly had never worked in a non chip n pin world had to go and get someone to help them out - bit of a pain really.

I also found that my ANZ visa which does have a chip & pin always also required a signature in the UK as the machines would never ask me for a pin....whereas they did in Dubai & Malaysia.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

briwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nice

Considering in the UK today there was a report about banks not paying up for fradulent transactions that occur near someone's home address - as people entering pins can no longer prove they personally didn't spend the cash (there's no dodgy signature to look at), I'd rather have the choice to sign
Old Jan 29th 2009, 6:42 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
I think depending on where you are the retails may be more likely to check your card.

I almost always have the retailer look at the signature. I used to put the card away not thinking about it but they always asked for it to compare. So for me, I'm constantly being asked.... that's why I usually use the PIN now so they don't have to ask me.
It obviously varies. Often the signature has disappeared and the set up of the shop means that I do the swiping. More often than not, if the signature has gone, the owner offers me their driving licence as proof so they must be used to being asked. I've never had to ask. I guess my situation is different, if anything goes wrong with the payment, I have the owners name, address etc etc on the school records so they can't get away with anything
Old Jan 29th 2009, 7:48 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Whilst chip and pin is better than strip and signature it is not a cure for fraud. Devices to steal pins are readily available on the internet and whilst cloning the chips is not in the arms of fraudsters the following is of little comfort
http://www.technicalinfo.net/blog/IS.../2008_016.html
BTW the CBA ATM on Walker Street in North Sydney was compromised and fraudsters were able to clone cards used there and steal the pins. A colleague lost $2400 on that one.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 7:53 pm

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
I mentioned this to Westpac a few months ago.

The reason for the chip is that if you want to use the card in UK and other places that now only take chip cards you can.

But in Oz the low security strip still works. I have noticed more places now asking if I want to use my PIN rather than sign...infact some are now becoming surprised that I want to sign rather than do the PIN...which I do 'cause I can't remember the PIN.
Second that, and i thought the chipped ones are not prone to "skimming", i.e. making a duplicate of your card.