Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

New "Virgin" credit card - is it just me?

New "Virgin" credit card - is it just me?

Old Jan 29th 2009, 4:46 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default New "Virgin" credit card - is it just me?

Together with others on this forum I have been using a Virgin credit card since arrival.

They have now shoved us off to a Westpac "Ignite" card and I've just received their info letter. The new card has a chip-and-PIN facility, which was sadly lacking with the Virgin one.

They say that I still have the option of using a signature instead of the PIN.

What on earth is the point of having the chip then?

If someone nicks my card they won't know the PIN so, regardless of the fact that I will always use it, they will just scrawl a rough copy of the signature on the back. To quote the letter - "Of course, you can continue to sign as you've always done"!

In other words, the "security" of having a chip-and-PIN is completely worthless.

Or have I missed sommat?

I've emailed Westpac and will not hold my breath that (a) they can comprehend what I am talking about or (b) they will make the PIN compulsory.

Seems to me as intelligent as Kevin 747's "kick-start of the economy"...
Old Jan 29th 2009, 4:51 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: New "Virgin" credit card - is it just me?

I don't understand it either. I usually enter my pin number so I don't have to bother signing. But there are times when they just do it for me and ask me to sign, so it's not like you have to use the PIN number.

I don't think it makes a lot of sense, and I would prefer if they just made it so that the PIN was required.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 5:12 am
Forum Regular

elmao is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Wol
Together with others on this forum I have been using a Virgin credit card since arrival.

They have now shoved us off to a Westpac "Ignite" card and I've just received their info letter. The new card has a chip-and-PIN facility, which was sadly lacking with the Virgin one.

If someone nicks my card they won't know the PIN so, regardless of the fact that I will always use it, they will just scrawl a rough copy of the signature on the back. To quote the letter - "Of course, you can continue to sign as you've always done"!

In other words, the "security" of having a chip-and-PIN is completely worthless.

Or have I missed sommat?

I've emailed Westpac and will not hold my breath that (a) they can comprehend what I am talking about or (b) they will make the PIN compulsory.

No you haven't missed anything. Australian's long-awaited adoption of chip n' pin seems to have completely missed the point re. security and is utterly useless.

Pity as I used to really enjoy the security of chip n' pin before moving to Oz.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 5:14 am
Unspoilt by progress.....

The Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Wol

Or have I missed sommat?

Depends where you use it. There are some places (and I am thinking of abroad) that will only accept your PIN number.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 5:23 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

i've found that the chip and pin system is a bit random here, i'd always prefer to enter the pin but sometimes it goes straight and asks for the signature. i think the computer systems cannot cope with it all during peak times and are not quite up to scratch.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 5:24 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol

Or have I missed sommat?

ANZ and Earth are the same, the staff have started asking "signature or PIN" whenever I present one.We've been told we MUST use a PIN when using the govt credit cards...but the twice I have tried to use that the staff have said it only comes up on the machine as needing a signature!
Must be a real pain for staff now "Cheque/savings/credit/pin/signature".
As you say, it defeats the object!
Old Jan 29th 2009, 7:11 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I think quite often, when the machine is not on your side of the counter the staff member presses OK to sign before you have the opportunity to enter the PIN.

Besides, no Australian issued AMEX cards have chip & pin....or so they told me anyway. I asked them what I should do if a UK shop demanded a PIN...they said just to use the CCV number...which is PRINTED ON THE FRONT OF THE CARD!!!!
Old Jan 29th 2009, 8:13 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

My EFTPOS machine at work won't allow PINs on Credit Cards and it's only about 8 months old. Haven't had my new Virgin card through yet and to be honest I'm not sure I want it. I joined up with Virgin for a reason and didn't want to be with WestPac for a reason. Not impressed.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol

Or have I missed sommat?

This is an example of the all those highly paid "executives" who get paid a fortune to make daft decisions - like this one. No wonder the world is so screwed up.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

TMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to behold

Virgin and westpac been in partnership for 6 years, sure in the T&C's it probably stated that somewhere.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

simonking is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wol

Or have I missed sommat?

Absolutely agree with your comments.

I recently had a follow-on HSBC credit card posted to me with no requirement to activate. So anyone intercepting it could have used it.

No interest was shown by HSBC on complaining.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 9:17 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TMRE
Virgin and westpac been in partnership for 6 years...
Not any more... Rumour has it that Virgin is waiting out its' time ban before launching another credit card over here... let's hope this time they don't listen to anyone else and do something stupid again like 'mates rates' and instead let us accumulate Virgin Air Miles...
Old Jan 30th 2009, 12:43 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

of course in Australia the siganture strip offers little security at all. Rare is it indeed that any retailer actually bothers to look at the signature. Given that cards are "self swipe" it is easy to do then put your card back in your wallet. I have rarely been asked to get it out again to show the retailer the signature
Old Jan 30th 2009, 12:45 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jayr
of course in Australia the siganture strip offers little security at all. Rare is it indeed that any retailer actually bothers to look at the signature. Given that cards are "self swipe" it is easy to do then put your card back in your wallet. I have rarely been asked to get it out again to show the retailer the signature
I think depending on where you are the retails may be more likely to check your card.

I almost always have the retailer look at the signature. I used to put the card away not thinking about it but they always asked for it to compare. So for me, I'm constantly being asked.... that's why I usually use the PIN now so they don't have to ask me.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 2:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

I mentioned this to Westpac a few months ago.

The reason for the chip is that if you want to use the card in UK and other places that now only take chip cards you can.

But in Oz the low security strip still works. I have noticed more places now asking if I want to use my PIN rather than sign...infact some are now becoming surprised that I want to sign rather than do the PIN...which I do 'cause I can't remember the PIN.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.