Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

New speeding camera's!

New speeding camera's!

Old Jan 17th 2013, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

Scot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to all
Default Re: New speeding camera's!

^HWP got a friend of mine for having an arm out the window, as in just leaning the arm and holding the steering wheel. According the HWP office that intercepted him, he didn't have proper control of the motor vehicle and was given an infringement notice.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

Scot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to all

^ Furthermore, the way he intercepted him was comical apparently. U-bolted over double white lines with traffic doing 100km/hr having to grind to a halt, all just to infringe him for an arm resting on the window.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 1:51 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly why they have no respect, how is that making the roads safer ? In fact their actions made the roads more dangerous.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

That's it. Full song and dance, lights going sirens blaring, took off after him like a criminal was on the loose lol.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 2:05 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

That does seem a bit exteme -although I struggle to see how you can lean you arm out of the window and hold the wheel.

On a similar note - you can get fined for smoking a cigarette or eating if you are driving in the UK as you are supposed to keep both hands on the wheel. I've not heard of the smoking one being enforced but it has been reported in the past in the tabloids where people have been fined for eating while driving.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 2:34 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

As they have in Australia.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 4:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

I never wear a seat belt.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 4:49 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
I never wear a seat belt.
That's so bad
Old Jan 17th 2013, 5:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
That's so bad
On my motorbike.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 5:19 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
On my motorbike.
I was waiting for that one
Old Jan 17th 2013, 7:55 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scot_expat
^HWP got a friend of mine for having an arm out the window, as in just leaning the arm and holding the steering wheel. According the HWP office that intercepted him, he didn't have proper control of the motor vehicle and was given an infringement notice.
It's illegal for any person in a moving vehicle to have any part of their body outside the car. This is for Queensland but I'm fairly sure similar laws exist in the various states.

http://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LE...ntOpRURR09.pdf

268 (3)
A person must not travel in or on a motor vehicle with any
part of the person’s body outside a window or door of the
vehicle, unless the person is the driver of the vehicle and is
giving a hand signal—
(a) for changing direction to the right in accordance with
section 50; or
(b) for stopping or slowing in accordance with section 55.
Maximum penalty—20 penalty units.

It's amazing how people complain about getting done for things when obviously they haven't read the rules and regulations.. or have read them and either couldn't be bothered to comply or couldn't understand them...
Old Jan 17th 2013, 9:11 pm
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Which all goes to prove you've been very lucky in the UK.

Simple answer - if you don't like points, don't break the law!!
Curiosity, how much driving have YOU done in QLD?
Old Jan 17th 2013, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
Curiosity, how much driving have YOU done in QLD?
I haven't - and never said I did - but this thread has not been solely about driving in QLD. The reply I made was to someone commenting on how many points they had in Australia compared with points in UK.

It doesn't really matter where in the world you are - you have to abide by the local laws. All police forces employ marked vehicles, unmarked vehicles, fixed cameras and mobile units.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 1:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dreamy
It's amazing how people complain about getting done for things when obviously they haven't read the rules and regulations.. or have read them and either couldn't be bothered to comply or couldn't understand them...
I wasn't complaining at all, I thought it was hilarious.

And to clarify, he had his elbow resting on the sill/upper door of the car with that hand controlling the car - like how most Australians drive.

I reckon the most courteous drivers I've ever encountered and the country with the least amount of speed cameras would be New Zealand. Even if there are speed cameras, drivers give you a nice little flash.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 3:57 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Scot_expat
I wasn't complaining at all, I thought it was hilarious.

And to clarify, he had his elbow resting on the sill/upper door of the car with that hand controlling the car - like how most Australians drive.

I reckon the most courteous drivers I've ever encountered and the country with the least amount of speed cameras would be New Zealand. Even if there are speed cameras, drivers give you a nice little flash.
That is it, nothing to do with the rule, we all know you cant have any part of you body out of the car but it seems to be ignored 99 times out of 100. It is the inconsistency that is the issue.
I really do need to get back to sleep, a few minutes on here usually works

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.