Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A New Dive Buddy & A warning to U.K Divers

A New Dive Buddy & A warning to U.K Divers

Old Oct 14th 2006, 5:16 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: A New Dive Buddy & A warning to U.K Divers

Originally Posted by annqldau
Now now! some one will acuse us of picking on the Aussies again.
Yes and then the mods will have to sort the argument out.

Right that's it - I'm banning that Buzzy bloke!!!

Buzzy
Old Oct 14th 2006, 5:38 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A New Dive Buddy & A warning to U.K Divers

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Yes and then the mods will have to sort the argument out.

Right that's it - I'm banning that Buzzy bloke!!!

Buzzy
About time if you ask me... .
Old Oct 14th 2006, 7:51 am
BE Enthusiast

andicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really nice

Originally Posted by cresta57
Last week I took our son Josh [15] up to Bundaberg to do his open water dive course. We had a fantastic time and his tuition was one on one until the four open water dive's when it was two on one plus myself as chief photographer [any excuse to get wet] He passed the course with flying colours and my new dive buddy promptly relived me of my BCD, computer, spare knife and spare wetsuit. It's looking like an expensive few months for me as it's now buy two of everything.
We did the actual open water dives at Barolin Rocks (Coral Cove) about 17k out from Bundy. It's the first time I've dived there and the place is teaming with hard and soft coral, fish life is abundant, we saw so many different species Josh's log didn't have room to name them all. For an easy shallow dive, I clocked a max of 6 m, Barolin Rocks is going to be hard to beat. Vis was good the first day at about 5-6m poorer the second day as the wind was gusting 15 Knots onshore.
If anyone is interested in learning to dive or upgrading their present skills Bundaberg Dive Academy is highly recommended.
Josh is now looking to do his Advanced and is already hounding me for a trip out on the dive boat to Lady Musgrave Island, I'm so weak willed I'm sure I'll give in easily.

The Warning:
Do Not Bring U.K Cylinders They Will Not Be Tested, unless you pay the bureaucrats in the Australian Standards Dept lots of cash and wait up to 18 months for them to approve your individual cylinders. I had a long chat to a bloke in the Quality Assurance Department who said "While it's technically possible to get approval for an individual cylinder it would be cheaper to buy new"
I posted a bit of this on another thread;
Having just spent the afternoon researching the cost of Scuba Cylinders a couple of things become immediately noticeable:
1] There are very few online shops in Australia and if you find one you have to ring for a price. I found just two shops displaying prices in a whole afternoon of surfing.

2] Prices here are not just a bit more expensive they are massively more expensive.

The excuse I hear frequently is "well we have to add 10% GST" BIG DEAL! we had to add 17.5% bloody V.A.T in the U.K and stuff was still way cheaper.

To compare like with like for an example I wanted to buy 4 X 232bar 12 litre Faber steel tanks.

U.K prices varied between £120 [$302.00]and £150 [$377.00]the cheapest price for one cylinder was £109.00 [just $274 Bucks]
Australian prices for the same thing were from $480 to $599 [£191.00-£239.00]

Obviously I didn't ring the U.K companies and ask for discount for buying four I did ring the Aussie ones and ask for a bulk buy discount. One company wouldn't deal the other two knocked off $100 bucks per cylinder but were still way more than I'm prepared to pay.
The cheapest I could find O2 clean cylinders for was for four $402 bucks each $1608 bucks compared to $1100 if I bought them in the U.K
EDIT:
I just received an email from Dive Imports [Perth] they are the best price yet.

We can also supply the following High Quality FABER light weight steel cylinders.
( Including rubber boot and stamped Din / K valve )

C21 LIGHT WEIGHT STEEL - 85 cu/ft cylinder ( 10.5 Litre ) - RRP: 525.00 AU Dollars
( Nominal Tare weight 11.5 KGs )
Our Special Price is $329.00 INCLUDING DELIVERY IN AUSTRALIA ONLY.

C22 LIGHT WEIGHT STEEL - 100 cu/ft cylinder ( 12.2 Litre ) - RRP: 580.00 AU Dollars
( Nominal Tare weight 13.2 KGs )
Our Special Price is $349.00 INCLUDING DELIVERY IN AUSTRALIA ONLY.

Does this price difference apply to all of their diving equipment? I am keen to start diving and my daughter has had a few lessons. Would you advise buying the majority of our equipment here to save a few $$$

Cheers

Andy
Old Oct 14th 2006, 9:16 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andicee
Does this price difference apply to all of their diving equipment? I am keen to start diving and my daughter has had a few lessons. Would you advise buying the majority of our equipment here to save a few $$$

Cheers

Andy
I'd buy everything in the U.K except the cylinders.
A few more examples;
My Mares dive computer cost me £100.00 in the U.K todays cost in dollars would be $247 bucks Anaconda are selling the same computer for $795 bucks.

I have a set of Avanti Quatro fins U.K circa £70.00 conversion $172 bucks Anaconda sell them for $429.00

I have a Buddy Commando auto air U.K price £275 inc comfort pad and cumberband They are unavailable here [ATM] but a similar BCD would cost in the region of $1000.00. BCD's start at around $800 for a basic one.

If you can afford it buy quality gear in the U.K and it will last you a long time out here.
I'm buying a new Buddy Commando TD and hoping to ship it out here as Josh has now decided my old one is his. The cost to buy and ship is still cheaper than to buy an inferior[IMO] BCD here.
Good luck
Old Oct 14th 2006, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

andicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really nice

A few more examples;
My Mares dive computer cost me £100.00 in the U.K todays cost in dollars would be $247 bucks Anaconda are selling the same computer for $795 bucks.

I have a set of Avanti Quatro fins U.K circa £70.00 conversion $172 bucks Anaconda sell them for $429.00

I have a Buddy Commando auto air U.K price £275 inc comfort pad and cumberband They are unavailable here [ATM] but a similar BCD would cost in the region of $1000.00. BCD's start at around $800 for a basic one.

If you can afford it buy quality gear in the U.K and it will last you a long time out here.
I'm buying a new Buddy Commando TD and hoping to ship it out here as Josh has now decided my old one is his. The cost to buy and ship is still cheaper than to buy an inferior[IMO] BCD here.
Good luck
Very interesting. Thanks for that useful info. And wow, what a difference in prices. As you say, if possible, order online and get it shipped in if at all possible. Even with tax and import duties (if any) it's gotta work out cheaper. Still, for me this is all pie in the sky at the mo.

Andy
Old Oct 14th 2006, 8:46 pm
Potton to the Gold Coast

Rob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to behold

Got mine from Anaconda in Ashmore on the Gold Coast and also i got discount as i am a member!

I drove down there from Gympie today to check out the shop, I had stuff to do in Brisbane so it was only another hour. According to the sales guys Anaconda do not sell scuba cylinders, everything else but not cylinders. I told them they were recommended as the cheapest for aluminium cylinders and they denied point blank ever selling them. Lying bloody sales assistants.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 9:58 am

A few more examples;

Good luck
You could justify a boat with all those savings to dive off... and your Conscience could justify a chest freezer to put your body in after you bought it.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 10:22 am
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

A few more examples;

Good luck
Definitely sounds like buying on line from the UK and shipping it out there would work out much cheaper - those prices are a joke.

And Buzzy - yes that bit on the website made me chuckle too LOL

Graham
Old Oct 17th 2006, 11:21 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annqldau
You could justify a boat with all those savings to dive off... and your Conscience could justify a chest freezer to put your body in after you bought it.
She has a chest freezer already so I don't need to justify the boat
If I keep showing her pics of 40k Quintrex jobbies, eventually I'll get a compromise and be the owner of a nice 20k half cab. I'd settle for a 10k one but I didn't tell you that
Old Oct 20th 2006, 8:55 am

She has a chest freezer already so I don't need to justify the boat
If I keep showing her pics of 40k Quintrex jobbies, eventually I'll get a compromise and be the owner of a nice 20k half cab. I'd settle for a 10k one but I didn't tell you that
A but her present chest is only medium sized and her Avatar does say Buxom Wench so I feel she needs to increase her chest size if she is to accomodate all the fish a new boat would bring.

Just tell her you want a trawler then she'll settle... .