British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   A New Dive Buddy & A warning to U.K Divers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/new-dive-buddy-warning-u-k-divers-400727/)

cresta57 Oct 6th 2006 1:43 am

A New Dive Buddy & A warning to U.K Divers

Last week I took our son Josh [15] up to Bundaberg to do his open water dive course. We had a fantastic time and his tuition was one on one until the four open water dive's when it was two on one plus myself as chief photographer [any excuse to get wet] He passed the course with flying colours and my new dive buddy promptly relived me of my BCD, computer, spare knife and spare wetsuit. It's looking like an expensive few months for me as it's now buy two of everything.
We did the actual open water dives at Barolin Rocks (Coral Cove) about 17k out from Bundy. It's the first time I've dived there and the place is teaming with hard and soft coral, fish life is abundant, we saw so many different species Josh's log didn't have room to name them all. For an easy shallow dive, I clocked a max of 6 m, Barolin Rocks is going to be hard to beat. Vis was good the first day at about 5-6m poorer the second day as the wind was gusting 15 Knots onshore.
If anyone is interested in learning to dive or upgrading their present skills Bundaberg Dive Academy is highly recommended.
Josh is now looking to do his Advanced and is already hounding me for a trip out on the dive boat to Lady Musgrave Island, I'm so weak willed I'm sure I'll give in easily.

The Warning:
Do Not Bring U.K Cylinders They Will Not Be Tested, unless you pay the bureaucrats in the Australian Standards Dept lots of cash and wait up to 18 months for them to approve your individual cylinders. I had a long chat to a bloke in the Quality Assurance Department who said "While it's technically possible to get approval for an individual cylinder it would be cheaper to buy new"
I posted a bit of this on another thread;
Having just spent the afternoon researching the cost of Scuba Cylinders a couple of things become immediately noticeable:
1] There are very few online shops in Australia and if you find one you have to ring for a price. I found just two shops displaying prices in a whole afternoon of surfing.

2] Prices here are not just a bit more expensive they are massively more expensive.

The excuse I hear frequently is "well we have to add 10% GST" BIG DEAL! we had to add 17.5% bloody V.A.T in the U.K and stuff was still way cheaper.

To compare like with like for an example I wanted to buy 4 X 232bar 12 litre Faber steel tanks.

U.K prices varied between £120 [$302.00]and £150 [$377.00]the cheapest price for one cylinder was £109.00 [just $274 Bucks]
Australian prices for the same thing were from $480 to $599 [£191.00-£239.00]

Obviously I didn't ring the U.K companies and ask for discount for buying four I did ring the Aussie ones and ask for a bulk buy discount. One company wouldn't deal the other two knocked off $100 bucks per cylinder but were still way more than I'm prepared to pay.
The cheapest I could find O2 clean cylinders for was for four $402 bucks each $1608 bucks compared to $1100 if I bought them in the U.K
EDIT:
I just received an email from Dive Imports [Perth] they are the best price yet.

We can also supply the following High Quality FABER light weight steel cylinders.
( Including rubber boot and stamped Din / K valve )

C21 LIGHT WEIGHT STEEL - 85 cu/ft cylinder ( 10.5 Litre ) - RRP: 525.00 AU Dollars
( Nominal Tare weight 11.5 KGs )
Our Special Price is $329.00 INCLUDING DELIVERY IN AUSTRALIA ONLY.

C22 LIGHT WEIGHT STEEL - 100 cu/ft cylinder ( 12.2 Litre ) - RRP: 580.00 AU Dollars
( Nominal Tare weight 13.2 KGs )
Our Special Price is $349.00 INCLUDING DELIVERY IN AUSTRALIA ONLY.

Buzzy--Bee Oct 6th 2006 2:07 am

Re: A New Dive Buddy & A warning to U.K Divers

Hi Sean

I look forward to diving with you and Josh in November. Promise I won't bring my own cylinder!!!

:beer:

Buzzy

Originally Posted by cresta57
Last week I took our son Josh [15] up to Bundaberg to do his open water dive course. We had a fantastic time and his tuition was one on one until the four open water dive's when it was two on one plus myself as chief photographer [any excuse to get wet] He passed the course with flying colours and my new dive buddy promptly relived me of my BCD, computer, spare knife and spare wetsuit. It's looking like an expensive few months for me as it's now buy two of everything.
We did the actual open water dives at Barolin Rocks (Coral Cove) about 17k out from Bundy. It's the first time I've dived there and the place is teaming with hard and soft coral, fish life is abundant, we saw so many different species Josh's log didn't have room to name them all. For an easy shallow dive, I clocked a max of 6 m, Barolin Rocks is going to be hard to beat. Vis was good the first day at about 5-6m poorer the second day as the wind was gusting 15 Knots onshore.
If anyone is interested in learning to dive or upgrading their present skills Bundaberg Dive Academy is highly recommended.
Josh is now looking to do his Advanced and is already hounding me for a trip out on the dive boat to Lady Musgrave Island, I'm so weak willed I'm sure I'll give in easily.

The Warning:
Do Not Bring U.K Cylinders They Will Not Be Tested, unless you pay the bureaucrats in the Australian Standards Dept lots of cash and wait up to 18 months for them to approve your individual cylinders. I had a long chat to a bloke in the Quality Assurance Department who said "While it's technically possible to get approval for an individual cylinder it would be cheaper to buy new"
Having just spent the afternoon researching the cost of Scuba Cylinders a couple of things become immediately noticeable:
1] There are very few online shops in Australia and if you find one you have to ring for a price. I found just two shops displaying prices in a whole afternoon of surfing.

2] Prices here are not just a bit more expensive they are massively more expensive.

The excuse I hear frequently is "well we have to add 10% GST" BIG DEAL! we had to add 17.5% bloody V.A.T in the U.K and stuff was still way cheaper.

To compare like with like for an example I wanted to buy 4 X 232bar 12 litre Faber steel tanks.

U.K prices varied between £120 [$302.00]and £150 [$377.00]the cheapest price for one cylinder was £109.00 [just $274 Bucks]

Obviously I didn't ring the U.K companies and ask for discount for buying four I did ring the Aussie ones and ask for a bulk buy discount. One company wouldn't deal the other two knocked off $100 bucks per cylinder but were still way more than I'm prepared to pay.
The cheapest I could find O2 clean cylinders for was for four $402 bucks each $1608 bucks compared to $1100 if I bought them in the U.K
EDIT:
I just received an email from Scuba Direct [Perth] they are the best price yet.

We can also supply the following High Quality FABER light weight steel cylinders.

C21 LIGHT WEIGHT STEEL - 85 cu/ft cylinder ( 10.5 Litre ) - RRP: 525.00 AU Dollars

C22 LIGHT WEIGHT STEEL - 100 cu/ft cylinder ( 12.2 Litre ) - RRP: 580.00 AU Dollars

mackinnon Oct 6th 2006 2:18 am

Hmmmmm diving.........

I think I just got me some motivation......

Did The Reef a few times when I came round as a backpacker, having got my SSI card at Magnetic Island.

Whilst I remember, have any of you guys heard of a Saline Challenge Test?

My wife's Aussie friend had done numerous dives in Thailand when she mentioned to a dive buddy who was a doctor that she used to have asthma as a child.

The guy got very serious with her and implored her to get one done.

She did, and it brought on a asthma attack. That spooked her, so she never went diving again.

http://www.lungnet.com.au/fact_sheet...ng-health.html

Pollyana Oct 6th 2006 2:19 am

Many congrats to JosH!! He'll be showing you up soon, Sean :D

annqldau Oct 6th 2006 8:38 am

The Warning:

EDIT:
I just received an email from Scuba Direct [Perth] they are the best price yet.

I'm sure Crestas ConciConsciencet be as weak willed... :D .

As for the cylinders as you know that's why we now have two alimialuminium. Find they are a lot longer and bang you more than the steel one ever did as I had a dumpy one from Faber. They are now ornamental FaberFaber's

annqldau Oct 6th 2006 8:40 am

WELL DONE JOSH SHAME YOU HAD TO LOWER YOUR STREET CRED BY HAVING THE OLD MAN IN TOW... :) :D :beer: .

Bosshogg Oct 6th 2006 8:49 am

Yes well done Josh. If you are down on the Sunshine Coast make sure you get a dive in on the HMAS Brisbane. AWESOME!!

walaj Oct 6th 2006 8:57 am

thanks for the post. Still got to get a cylinder or 2 - did find out before moving that the UK ones were just not worth bringing. Looking at the prices I'm starting to suspect it is a conspiracy by the diving shops to buy a new one from them! (or am I just being cynical?)

Congrats to Josh :D

BTW do you normally dive with a club or just book adhoc dives with dive operators?

Walaj - Hoping to be back in the water in around 4mths

cresta57 Oct 6th 2006 11:14 am

Originally Posted by annqldau
I'm sure Crestas ConciConsciencet be as weak willed... :D .

As for the cylinders as you know that's why we now have two alimialuminium. Find they are a lot longer and bang you more than the steel one ever did as I had a dumpy one from Faber. They are now ornamental FaberFaber's

That's another thing Ann; While ringing around the dive shops I initially asked for
either steel or aluminium. Two of the shops I rang stated categorically that 12l ally tanks didn't exist and weren't manufactured :confused: I have 2 sitting in the cupboard next to me.
I did however learn that while BS5045/3 is not acceptable as a standard even though it is identical to AS1777. The U.S cylinder that dad left behind is a DOT3 AL it is a perfectly acceptable standard to the Australian test stations and only requires a burst disc machining into the valve.

cresta57 Oct 6th 2006 11:27 am

Originally Posted by mackinnon
Hmmmmm diving.........

Whilst I remember, have any of you guys heard of a Saline Challenge Test?

http://www.lungnet.com.au/fact_sheet...ng-health.html

Ah The Saline Challenge test: sitting breathing in misted salt water and trying not to choke or wheeze, it sounds a bit like ducking a witch if she floats burn her if she sinks oh well we were wrong ;)
Far to many doctors are prescribing inhalers for simple allergies ending up with kids being labelled as asthmatic. Josh is allergic to the blossom of a type of pine tree. Had the doctor in NZ prescribed a ventolin he'd never have been able to dive. Lucky for Josh he was tested for reactions to a multitude of irritants and the cause of his wheezing was identified. He hasn't suffered any wheezing since leaving NZ.
In his case a sensible solution would be that he didn't dive in NZ during the spring.

cresta57 Oct 6th 2006 11:38 am

Originally Posted by walaj
thanks for the post. Still got to get a cylinder or 2 - did find out before moving that the UK ones were just not worth bringing. Looking at the prices I'm starting to suspect it is a conspiracy by the diving shops to buy a new one from them! (or am I just being cynical?)

Congrats to Josh :D

BTW do you normally dive with a club or just book adhoc dives with dive operators?

Walaj - Hoping to be back in the water in around 4mths

I just dive whenever I can, no club or anything. When I buy the cylinders I'll be diving with Josh in our own boat [If I can get Deb to act as surface watcher]
Cynical? well when you get told so many lies it kind of makes you like that I guess I'm just as cynical as you ;)

Boss hog
I refuse to pay the exorbitant fees required to dive on the Brisbane I live an hour away and it's not top of my list of to do's. IMO there are far better wrecks to dive than the HMAS Brisbane it's only been down there a year, I watched it as it sank and that was quite an awesome sight in itself.

232Bar Oct 6th 2006 6:33 pm

Congrats to Josh - now I know where I can offload all that excess dive gear I've accumulated - bring a big wallet next time you're down this way :)

Bosshogg Oct 6th 2006 10:16 pm

Boss hog
I refuse to pay the exorbitant fees required to dive on the Brisbane I live an hour away and it's not top of my list of to do's. IMO there are far better wrecks to dive than the HMAS Brisbane it's only been down there a year, I watched it as it sank and that was quite an awesome sight in itself.

There are better wrecks than the Brisbane? Excellent, I can't wait to get back out there. It was my first dive since qualifying at Stoney Cove!! ;)

mackinnon Oct 6th 2006 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by Bosshogg
There are better wrecks than the Brisbane? Excellent, I can't wait to get back out there. It was my first dive since qualifying at Stoney Cove!! ;)

I believe the best wreck dive in Australia, and one of the best in the world is the Yongala of the coast of Townsville.

cresta57 Oct 6th 2006 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by mackinnon
I believe the best wreck dive in Australia, and one of the best in the world is the Yongala of the coast of Townsville.

The SS Yongala rated the best wreck dive in the world by many dive mags ;)
In a few yrs time the Brisbane may equal or better it. As the Brisbane is out on it's own in the middle of an undersea desert it's already attracting prolific fish life.