Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

My Top 10 Aussie Gripes

Wikiposts

My Top 10 Aussie Gripes

Old Mar 13th 2006, 9:05 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: My Top 10 Aussie Gripes

Apparently...

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to cresta57 again.
Old Mar 13th 2006, 9:06 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My Top 10 Aussie Gripes

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

I have no problem with people posting their own experiences, just so long as (a) they do not try to convince people that this will necessarily be the experience of everyone who comes to Australia, (b) they are honest and accurate in their account of the problems they faced, and (c) they do not spread false and misleading information and/or generalisations about Australia.
Well

Let's have the same honesty from Australians who live in the UK as well.

G
Old Mar 13th 2006, 9:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
I've lived here for 2 1/2 yrs and been using the forum for close to 4 yrs. I've watched some fairly spectacular changes in posting styles by quite a lot of posters.
First there are the U.K is crap posters blaming a lot of things from the weather, the culture to the immigrant problem. I think a lot of it is down to trying to justify it in your own mind.
Then there's the we've arrived it's great everything is perfect best thing we ever did. That usually lasts a couple of months, six a most. After that you see a slight change in style to "my hubbie cant get a well paid job" or "is it always this humid". Things start to niggle a little bit as you go through the period of unrest following the honeymoon period.
After that it can go either way, good job nice house and happiness in your newly adopted country. Or poor paid job living in a rental struggling to make ends meet.
I've lost count of the number of posters who really think it's utopia here and end up going back to the U.K for many different reasons.
If you've visited here on holiday/reccie trip your a bit better acquainted with the problems your likely to face. However to lambaste someone who lives here and posts of their experiences and problems seems a little stupid to me especially if you've never even been here. I've posted quite a few threads about the harsh reality of living here and trying to get a licence to work, they don't make pleasant reading from a 3 bed semi in the U.K. I've had all sorts of answers from good luck to why don't you just go back then. Very naive posts from people sitting in the U.K.
It's very hard to make it here, it's even harder to start up your own business, especially when the only reason you came out in the first place was to spend a bit of time with your parents in their twilight yrs and have to watch your Father die from a terrible disease.
We don't all come because it's sunny.

That's why you were picked to be a Moderator. Brilliant post hun, K for you x
Old Mar 13th 2006, 9:14 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: My Top 10 Aussie Gripes

Originally Posted by Grayling
Well

Let's have the same honesty from Australians who live in the UK as well.

G
If you ever think I am being less than honest about the UK, feel free to point it out and set me straight.

Plenty of poms have taken issue with my views of the UK (fair enough, that's their prerogative - just as my opinion of the place is my prerogative) but nobody has accused me of telling porkies about it.
Old Mar 13th 2006, 9:16 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

If you ever think I am being less than honest about the UK, feel free to point it out and set me straight.

Plenty of poms have taken issue with my views of the UK (fair enough, that's their prerogative - just as my opinion of the place is my prerogative) but nobody has accused me of telling porkies about it.
You make a lot of generalisations.

The UK I live in is nothing like that you continually post about.

G
Old Mar 13th 2006, 9:21 am
Fighting my corner

Cool Re: My Top 10 Aussie Gripes

Originally Posted by Grayling
You make a lot of generalisations.

The UK I live in is nothing like that you continually post about.

G
Of course not. That's because you're a rich bloke (retired or semi-retired, IIRC?) with loads of money and a nice big expensive house in a bloody nice area. So I wouldn't expect the UK I continually post about to be anything like the UK you live in.

In fact, I am willing to bet that the UK you live in is nothing like the one that most ex-pats on this forum have ever experienced.

After all, how many people here will be moving to Australia with just under $1 million to play with?
Old Mar 13th 2006, 9:22 am
Bitter and twisted

Of course not. That's because you're a rich bloke (retired or semi-retired, IIRC?) with loads of money and a nice big expensive house in a bloody nice area. So I wouldn't expect the UK I continually post about to be anything like the UK you live in.

In fact, I am willing to bet that the UK you live in is nothing like the one that most ex-pats on this forum have ever experienced.

After all, how many people here will be moving to Australia with just under $1 million to play with?
It is still a generalisation though.

G
Old Mar 13th 2006, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

it_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to all

I will!!
Old Mar 13th 2006, 9:25 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by it_hooker
I will!!
There you go

That is at least two of us

G
Old Mar 13th 2006, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

lostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ScottyTee
2. Internet. ok well you should put your business mind on here... you see an advancement that the UK have made over the past few years with Australia only catching on now.. you should bring the business idea over to Australia and get the band wagon rolling you see business in the UK with great websites and great funcionality you should be starting up a company that will provide this and your onto a winner. I am 17 years old and own an internet company in the UK at the minute and shall be releasing an Australian Branch once I move there, if me, a 17 year old programmer and entrepreneur can do it surely you can aswell. Think of all the negatives you have encountered then notice that this will be a fairly general problem throughout all expats and think of how you can capitalise on this and create some business ventures. Use your head...
A great post, and seriously, good luck to you. However, I really considered Aus as a great business opportunity because of all the gaps. When you get here, you'll realise that these gaps exist for a reason - there is simply not enough demand for many servvices or buisnesses ! Many businesses fold because of total lack of interest (or lack of people using the internet, though I seriously hope Australia will wake up soon and this may change).

10. Cost of Travel. Who needs international travel when you have a country as vast as Australia, worry about that in 10 years when youve explored Australia... why move to australasia and then want to go holidaying in Europe its not economic, its just dumb. Yes youll wanna visit relatives in the UK but why not get them to come out to you or save up and do it every few years.[QUOTE]

Because international travel takes you to all manner of different types of cultures and cuisines and histories, all within a 2-5 hour flight. Australia (great as it is), will always be just Australia - the same people, the same food, the same history, but OK, different landscapes and climates. If you enjoy embracing different cultures, then you'd better get used to the Aboriginal peoples, as this is all you're going to experience in 10 years of exploring here.

Well, anyways, good luck to ya - "You'll Love It!"
Old Mar 13th 2006, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

lostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of light

This thread has been a great substitute for me missing EastEnders !!

It possibly almost beats it on the doom and gloom factor, despite it being meant to be taken lightheartedly.

Maybe it is time to close it down, as we don't really seem to be getting anywhere further now. Mods ? Cresta57 ? Can you lock this down now ?

lostpom

Last edited by Pollyana; Mar 13th 2006 at 10:00 am.
Old Mar 13th 2006, 9:45 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

That reminds me - the "chip on the shoulder" syndrome is alive and well <g>
Old Mar 13th 2006, 9:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lostpom
This thread has been a great substitute for me missing EastEnders !!

It possibly almost beats it on the doom and gloom factor, despite it being meant to be taken lightheartedly.

Maybe it is time to close it down, as we don't really seem to be getting anywhere further now. Mods ? Cresta57 ? Can you lock this down now ?

lostpom.com

I think you are right, it definately went pair shaped. What started as a get it off my chest post turned into a monster :scared:
Old Mar 13th 2006, 10:09 am
SuzieB

blowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of light

We have Koshie and some blonde woman (who is a little bit too Mumsy for my liking) presenting QLD breakfast TV. Now Koshie is your mans man, and when asked on air if he was going to be going down to Sydney to join in the Mardi Gra celebrations, he just blushed !!! He was so uncomfortable with even talking about a gay festival, he couldn't answer the question !!

I work in an office full of aussie blokes and they all said they'd be going to the mardi gras (with machine guns) !
Old Mar 13th 2006, 10:31 am
SuzieB

blowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Chick Flick
People ARE more friendly in Oz, although I never mentioned that I said people don't talk in supermarkets over here, God Fraser get an eye test. I'm not a hypocrite I have always slagged off the UK, it will be rare you will find a post or a friend of mine who will ever say I like anything about the UK, that's not being a hypocrite, look the word up in a dictionary you have plenty of time on your hands, and no I am not supporting your children again read the post!!!!!!!

I do have to say, in all fairness, this is a very nice country to live in.
But Australians here in Sydney (and its the only place i can really talk of) are not at all friendly. Londoners are actually warmer people. This may sound shocking, but its true. My local shop assistants ignore customers, talk to each other and throw your change at you.
Unfortunately, some aspects of life, I think are just life, and its the same here as in the UK. But i'm enjoying this debate - it beats work!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.