Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

My Top 10 Aussie Gripes

Wikiposts

My Top 10 Aussie Gripes

Old Mar 13th 2006, 3:11 am
Enjoy it while you can

Chick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really nice
Default Re: My Top 10 Aussie Gripes

Originally Posted by lostpom
Hang on ! Now you sound like a whingeing pom !

See everyone is allowed to let off steam about their living experiences. The only difference is you're having a pop at me for vocalising my bad experiences in a country you haven't lived in or experienced yet (er..I presume).

All I can say for the disbelievers is - I wish you all the success here. I really do. But one day, you'll remember my gripes, even if they don't bother you, but you'll recognise them and give me a little karma nod to say I was to some extent right.

If you don't believe me, read through all the replies in this post (err, ingnore the ones about shitting!), and count the proportion of people who said the following (and I haven't counted, but I'm making up the percentages, so as usual, anyone feel free to say I'm wrong)

A. God, you're dead right ! 30%
B. Yes, theres some truth, but... 30%
C. Why are you complaining ? Go home ! 35%
D. You're a w#nker ! 5%

lostpom.com
I have lived in Australia, and have travelled around it on many occasions with family and friends, and I personally can't wait to go and live there. If you had maybe done your homework instead of just going over to live you may have discovered that you like the UK better, after all 60 million people can't be wrong and they live in the Uk. The trouble is I moan about the UK that's why I am leaving it. I also know what my life will be like in OZ as I have been there and experienced it before. I couldn't justify moaning about the UK and then living here, but it seems it's OK for you, Frazer and the rest of the unhappy expats to do this. All I'm basically saying is you are not in prison buy a plane ticket and come back to the UK. You will become bitter and twisted if you don't accept that Australia is Australia and the UK is different in many ways. If you want to stay in a country you dislike so much good luck to you and all the other very unhappy ex pats.
Old Mar 13th 2006, 3:14 am
Enjoy it while you can

Chick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really nice

Originally Posted by fraser
Yes and that's why you're a hypocrite because you feel it's fine for you to come on here sand slag of the UK where you live but think it's not fine for others to do so about where they live (australia).

Why do I have plenty of time on my hands?

Maybe if you paraphrased It would have been clear

I didn't fill in countless forms and spend thousands of pounds to get to the UK, I was born here, so yes I have the right to slag it off!!. Remember you were the one who asked DIMIA to let you in, I don't think they had to drag you screamimg and kicking to get on that flight to Oz did they. You've made your bed either accept it's the wrong bed or get on with trying to adapt to Australia, but stop moaning at the people who know they have made the right choice.
Old Mar 13th 2006, 3:26 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chick Flick
I have lived in Australia, and have travelled around it on many occasions with family and friends.
So how come you did not know if they sell cider there or not?

G
Old Mar 13th 2006, 3:37 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

I didn't fill in countless forms and spend thousands of pounds to get to the UK, I was born here, so yes I have the right to slag it off!!. Remember you were the one who asked DIMIA to let you in, I don't think they had to drag you screamimg and kicking to get on that flight to Oz did they. You've made your bed either accept it's the wrong bed or get on with trying to adapt to Australia, but stop moaning at the people who know they have made the right choice.
um do you mind me asking where abouts you live in the UK? might give some perspective on why you hate it so much
Old Mar 13th 2006, 3:47 am
Livin it large

Mctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=Bix][QUOTE=Centurion] wikipedia has a good definition of an expat :

The difference between an expatriate and an immigrant is that immigrants (for the most part) commit themselves to becoming a part of their country of residence, whereas expatriates are usually only temporarily placed in the host country and most of the time plan on returning to their home country, so they never adopt the culture in the host country.

And using those definitions we could clearly define and label a lot of people on this forum who have an Expat attitude and who have an Immigrant attitude.

Immigrants don't try to change and reform the country they go to. They accept and conform to the society they have had the fortune to join.

Expats continually hark for the things they are "used" to. Well, that can be found......"in the home country".....and quite frankly for their own sanity they are better off returning there.
I've always found it to be the other way around. Most Expats are posted to another country with their jobs, so they have a job to go to, their belongings are shipped for free, they get given a house (or rent allowance), they don't have to go through the visa application, and they are not taking a huge risk by giving up careers etc to live in the unknown.

In a nutshell, most Expats I've met are always happy with the country they are in.
Old Mar 13th 2006, 4:28 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
I went to a curry house in Subiaco - my god - they charged you for your poppadoms & condiments! :scared:
Big stink in Perth a while ago cos some restaurants were charging for tap water ffs !
Old Mar 13th 2006, 5:01 am
Enjoy it while you can

Originally Posted by Grayling
So how come you did not know if they sell cider there or not?

G
Didn't drink it as a teenager, or in early twenties, so would never bother to notice if it was there or not. Just the same as I don't drink guinness or beer so I wouldn't even know if my local pub here sold them or the makes, I have asked relatives if there is cider there and they said yes but don't ask us which kind.
Old Mar 13th 2006, 5:03 am
Enjoy it while you can

Originally Posted by possoms
um do you mind me asking where abouts you live in the UK? might give some perspective on why you hate it so much
North West, but I dislike the British culture in general, I have also lived in Wales and Sussex, all much of a muchness.
Old Mar 13th 2006, 5:12 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Chick Flick]People ARE more friendly in Oz

Purely a matter of personal experience. I have lived in oz for years and would say people are far more friendlier in nz or uk than here.
Old Mar 13th 2006, 5:32 am
Banned

This is incredibly narrow minded and judgemental drivel. Good luck in your future life here but try and remember this is a democracy. People don't become a lesser class of person cos they migrated somewhere and have opinons (or negative experiences) that differ from others. Nor do they give up their rights to hold and express those opinons.

I've lived here for years, I'm from nz and I have citizenship of UK NZ and OZ and if I choose to have a whinge I farkin well will and totally defend the rights of others to do so as well. If you don't like/can't handle that, then find a thread (or site) that is more agreeable to you and post there. You have no more or less rights than any others who post on this site. ALL countries and societies have their pluses and minuses.
Old Mar 13th 2006, 6:07 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

North West, but I dislike the British culture in general, I have also lived in Wales and Sussex, all much of a muchness.
Was this before Nevada or spain?

there seem to be lot's of inconsistencies in your posts.

G
Old Mar 13th 2006, 6:19 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Who said I didn't want to be here?

I wanted the cricket team to lose So f**king what so did most poms on here.

How am I moaning at the people who know they've made the right choice because they're slagging of the UK which is my home country while slagging off me for criticising oz.

You told me I make you ashamed because I still support the England cricket team.

You're an aresehole, fact.

Last edited by fraser; Mar 13th 2006 at 6:37 am.
Old Mar 13th 2006, 6:31 am
Forum Regular

it_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to all

You're an aresehole, fact.
And that from a West 'Am man!
Old Mar 13th 2006, 6:42 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Frazer and the rest of the unhappy expats to do this. All I'm basically saying is you are not in prison buy a plane ticket and come back to the UK. You will become bitter and twisted if you don't accept that Australia is Australia and the UK is different in many ways. If you want to stay in a country you dislike so much good luck to you and all the other very unhappy ex pats.
Where did I say I disliked Australia, believe me if I did with all the shit we've been through I'd be on the first flight home.
Old Mar 13th 2006, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

it_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to all

Where did I say I disliked Australia, believe me if I did with all the shit we've been through I'd be on the first flight home.
Maybe it's just the impression you give.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.