My experience looking for employment in Oz

My experience looking for employment in Oz

Old Feb 8th 2006, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

jery_wang is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: My experience looking for employment in Oz

Originally Posted by Centurion
F...............

Its much like people in the UK trying to find rental accomodation, a real estate agent here isnt likely to consider it very serious until they are in the country and able to sign on the dotted line.

I am sorry to divert from the original thread. How difficult is it to rent an apartment/unit through www.realestate.com.au before the person arriving in the country (Melbourne)? I have intention to do it before arriving in Melbourne. Btw, I am already an Australian PR.

If it is difficult or not possible what are other avenues for migrant to find affordable accomodation during the transition period when searching apartment/unit?

What are the necessary requirements for the tenants? Sorry if this is a repeated question.

Thanks
Jerry
Old Feb 24th 2006, 4:09 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by rossifumi
Ok, this'll take 3 years and in which time I can concentrate on conversion to Australian Civil Aviation Safety Authority standards. I have coresponded via e-mail about conversion as they have a conversion course for their ex military. I received a reply which read,

"Your email is acknowledged and I will respond further in the near future."
Well it took 6 weeks to get a further response but I did receive one.

The kind lady from the CASA did reply and asked if I would like her to phone me, which she did last night.

Well I think aircraft engineering will be out the window for a while. The process of getting licensed is a mare as other trades people have also found out. I have other strings to my bow so I'll put that on the back burner for now I think.

She was very helpful as it turned out, sympathetic to my problem.

I asked if there was a shortage of licensed avionics engineers and she effectively said,

"too right there is".

She explained that in the coming 12-24 months the government/authorities are basically bringing in a more common sense approach in recognising overseas air engineering trade qualifications which will be based more on experience and obviously with applicable qualifications attached, but with a minimum of fuss required to convert to Australian standards to gain a licence (as advertised on BE previously).

I said, "yes this is applicable to not only my trade but other trades, electricians, plumbers etc.. isn't it ?"

She replies, "well I wasn't aware of that, I'm just aware of the licensing proposals in the air engineering world."

So it doesn't seem as though there is a huge national drive behind this campaign and it most certainly isn't well advertised. You would have thought that one trade organisation would be aware that this is a proposed campaign applicable to not just their business but most other trades also.
Old Feb 24th 2006, 7:31 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Much work in aircraft engineering, in Australia, is defence related.

My son works for a major defence company. He is a citizen and lives in Adelaide where much defence work is based.

There have been a lot of new contracts taken on recently and, as far as he is aware, it is possible to get security clearance if you are sponsored by one of the companies involved and have PR. This is what he originally did at Boeing.
Previous UK clearance would also help

The work is not all in Adelaide but that is the main centre.

G
Old Feb 24th 2006, 9:17 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

I'm bumping this for the information towards the end of post #32 for anyone who hasn't seen it and may be interested.
Old Feb 24th 2006, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute

good for you to hear though rich!

seems australia has a long way to go dosent it recognising other quals, its so bizzare though ! especially whan i see threads that tradespeople cant find work!

from a nursing persective, similar by the sounds of it from fellow nurses, the autonomy and responsibilities we have here dont exist over there, it the dr who is still 'the god'!!!!!!! and the nurse doth as he says!!!!!!!
Old Feb 24th 2006, 1:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm bumping this for the information towards the end of post #32 for anyone who hasn't seen it and may be interested.

Good Luck with it all.
Old Feb 24th 2006, 2:07 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

thats really good news mate
Old Mar 11th 2006, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

Neil & Shell will become famous soon enough

Hi Michelle

I have tried your way of thinking and have applied to 3 positions that stated "Australian Citizenship is a key requirement for this position", nothing to lose I thought.

I have telephoned the Human Resources departments concerned and their answers...

"Unfortunately this position is only open to..." as mentioned above.

You can read into this a few things. The resume wasn't up to scatch, lack of experience or whatever.

I'm not diswayed at this, this is a minor rant at one particular area of industry.

Cheers

Rich
Hi Rich

I applied for a position with Boeing (at RAAF Amberley) which stated the same "Australian Citizenship is a key requirement" but I applied anyway!!

Got an interview and got a job offer.

I was told the reason it states "Australian Citizenship is a key requirement" is that some projects conducted by Boeing are under contract from the USA, and the contact states for security reasons only Australian Citizens are entitled to work on the systems as the equipment has some classified material. So if I took the job I would have been unable to transfer to a different project as the position I was applying for was for modifying the F-111. However Boeing are involved with some excellent projects at Amberley but I won't be able to get involved until I become a Citizen.

Didn't take the job btw

Anybody Know of any Avionic work in the Brisbane area?

Neil
Old Mar 11th 2006, 3:09 pm
Legal immigrant

Lee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debbiemc
join baz and become a postie
What's the wages like for a postie?

Jon
Old Mar 11th 2006, 7:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lee Family
What's the wages like for a postie?

Jon
well, dont know how true it is , someone on our last meet told us that they earn 50k a year!!!!!!!!! if thats the case, then i'm packing nursing in!
Old Mar 11th 2006, 7:26 pm
Legal immigrant

Lee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debbiemc
well, dont know how true it is , someone on our last meet told us that they earn 50k a year!!!!!!!!! if thats the case, then i'm packing nursing in!
Do they all get to ride mopeds like on a new place downunder or whatever it was called? looked like fun

Jon
Old Mar 11th 2006, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lee Family
Do they all get to ride mopeds like on a new place downunder or whatever it was called? looked like fun

Jon

apparently yes jon!!

hubby is planning to do his bike test before we leave!