Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

My dog is flying tonight

My dog is flying tonight

Old Nov 7th 2008, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

KarenBK has a brilliant futureKarenBK has a brilliant futureKarenBK has a brilliant futureKarenBK has a brilliant futureKarenBK has a brilliant futureKarenBK has a brilliant future
Default Re: My dog is flying tonight

Originally Posted by flodsfive
A quick update on trix my labrador. She apparently has gone off her food a bit, not uncommon apparently so I have spoken to her handler for advice and they have suggested a lady that can come and walk her up to five times a week. which I have now arranged. Not bad price $12 a walk and she will take photo's and e-mail them to us. for all your info they get a check over by the vet 7 days after arrival then if all OK they are allowed out to be walked by the allocated walkers. This can happen mon-fri only. So if all OK she will be allowed out for a walk on thursday. I feel so hopeless back in the UK.

nb thank you for all the personal messages.
Hi - my name is Karen and I run Dog Walks Pty Ltd. I find this link really helpful and explains the Eastern Creek regulations in terms of visiting and exercising. These apply to everyone without exception. It also gives all their contact details:-

http://www.daffa.gov.au/__data/asset...tern_Creek.pdf

If anyone has any specific questions, please do feel free to PM me.

Thank you and I wish all your doggies a safe and smooth journey. The flight and quarantine are worth all the pain I promise. My 10 (rising 11 next month) yr old lab has a whole new lease of life since arriving here last year
Old Nov 8th 2008, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

KarenBK has a brilliant futureKarenBK has a brilliant futureKarenBK has a brilliant futureKarenBK has a brilliant futureKarenBK has a brilliant futureKarenBK has a brilliant future

Hi again. I've actually been thinking, flodsfive, a bit more about what you said. I would be more than wary of anyone who claims to be able to walk your dog five times a week. Quarantine are very clear that they only allow 2 exercises per week per dog and a further 2 visits in their kennel. This is for owners or walkers alike. I would love to be able to take dogs out 5 times per week but it is just not possible to exercise them more.

I hope your labrador is doing well and soon home safe and sound with you.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 6:31 am
Forum Regular

jaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nice

hiya,
I've got a few questions if you dont mind I wondered how much it costs for the blood tests & some advice...we came over to qld in july leaving my golden retriever with my friend till we got settled....got spooked by horror stories of not being able to find a rental with a dog...we are desperate to bring her over now & am worried that I'm being selfish & cruel to move her again after leaving her in the first place...I miss her SOOOO much & have cried & cried since we got here ...my kids miss her but I don't want to upset her.She's only 3 yrs old & my friend told me that she pined for weeks when we left but she's settled now.
jacq
Old Nov 13th 2008, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

jaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nice

Hiya Karen,
just emailed you for a quote...hope you dont mind
the best one I've had so far is £2719 from glasgow airport to sydney & they arrange everything except blood tests.
thanx jacq
Old Nov 13th 2008, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

flodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really nice

Hello,

Just a quick update, Trix is eating more now an is due to be weighed tomorrow. she lost a kilo in the first week so hopefully will not have lost anymore.
Thanks for the advice Karen, I can only go by what the handler says it was her suggestion to get trix out for walks and I've discussed the four walks a week and she did'nt say she was'nt having that, but I will double check tomorrow when i phone about the weight.

At present as off today no dogs are bing walked in Eastern creek because of a tick epidemic so hopefully trix won't go off her food again.

Thanks again to all for the p.m's

Flodsfive
Old Nov 14th 2008, 12:54 am
Just Joined

Badger Brock is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, whats that you say, a tick epidemic!! Gosh I hope my dog at Eastern Creek is okay, thats all they need sucking their strength after such a journey. I have been using DogWalks to visit and exercise my little Staffie "Serendipity" and feel much more relaxed about the whole thing now, they have been really kind. Looking forward to seeing her again Sunday 30th. The photos all show her panting away, but I would be too in this heat!
By the way I used Airpets, they charged 2,188.00 GBP (why isnt there a pound sign on Aus keyboards I wonder! However I had to pay a further 370
GBP for blood tests etc to my vet.

Good luck to all the dogies "Flying Tonight".
Veronica
Old Nov 24th 2008, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

Good news all. The tick restriction at Eastern Creek has just been lifted and our quarantined pups will be allowed out to play from tomorrow.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 11:40 am
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by markallwood
my dog is flying tonight,
she is flying tonigt,
her scheduled flight is JAL243
and I just hope that she will forgive me

my dog is flying tonight
flying tonight
will she have enough food and water?
will there be turbulence over the straights of gibraltar?

ok that's enough, someone else can finish it off, heh heh.
I'm No good with the lyrics but I could help out with the Album cover ??

Dougie
Old Nov 24th 2008, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

loll is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: My dog is flying tonight

Originally Posted by KarenBK
Good news all. The tick restriction at Eastern Creek has just been lifted and our quarantined pups will be allowed out to play from tomorrow.
Hi, we are hoping to be in Cairns about feb next year, we have 2 dogs and a cat and can't bear the thought of leaving them behind. Any advice on transport for them and is it fairly easy to rent a property with pets
Old Nov 24th 2008, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

flodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really nice

Originally Posted by DOUGIE AN LOUISE

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...gwithwings.jpg

Dougie
Excellent
Old Nov 24th 2008, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

LUNANBAY is a name known to allLUNANBAY is a name known to allLUNANBAY is a name known to allLUNANBAY is a name known to allLUNANBAY is a name known to allLUNANBAY is a name known to allLUNANBAY is a name known to allLUNANBAY is a name known to allLUNANBAY is a name known to allLUNANBAY is a name known to allLUNANBAY is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jaca
hiya,
I've got a few questions if you dont mind I wondered how much it costs for the blood tests & some advice...we came over to qld in july leaving my golden retriever with my friend till we got settled....got spooked by horror stories of not being able to find a rental with a dog...we are desperate to bring her over now & am worried that I'm being selfish & cruel to move her again after leaving her in the first place...I miss her SOOOO much & have cried & cried since we got here ...my kids miss her but I don't want to upset her.She's only 3 yrs old & my friend told me that she pined for weeks when we left but she's settled now.
jacq
We were in 2 minds to wether to bring our dogs, Buster (Golden Retriever) & Brogan (Choc Lab )with us, lotta money, upheaval for them, hot country etc y'all know. I was a wee bit worried about the boy Buster, so I took him to vets to get him checked out, good strong heart, bit deaf(selective hearing) however as he was 14, he didnt think he would make it, so if we wanted, he could put him to sleep for us! I went mental!!!!!!!!! what ever small doubts I had were soon gone.
However, on Valentines night he had had a massive stroke, we (or the new vet) could do anything for him. So I lost my best mate of over 14 years!
Brogan flew out earlier this month and we pick her up from Brissie
Airport on the 14 Dec.
Sorry to have gone on abit, but there's not a day goes by where I dont think about him......

So the moral of this story is, if in doubt, bring em out!!

Rob
Old Nov 24th 2008, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Loll,

There are a few companies you could contact to help you with shipping your pets. This link (the Our Partners page) on my website gives names and contact details for the companies I work with so would be a good place to start:-

http://www.dogwalks.com.au/index.php...d=34&Itemid=38

When I brought my chocolate lab out last year, it cost around Gbp 2,000 for the flight to Sydney and then I used JetPets to get him from Sydney to Brisbane at the end of quarantine. I thought that was very cheap at around $270.

I don't regret bringing him at all. He loves it here now (the warmth helps his "maturing" bones) and it wouldn't have felt like home without him. I just gulped hard at the expense and put it down to "another cost of emigrating".

Sorry, I cannot help with rental question in Cairns though. I would look at the realestate.com.au website and see if you can get any ideas there.

Best wishes
Old Nov 24th 2008, 10:36 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DOUGIE AN LOUISE

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...gwithwings.jpg

Dougie
!! ha ha...
Old Nov 25th 2008, 6:42 am
Forum Regular

maund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to all

Originally Posted by LUNANBAY
We were in 2 minds to wether to bring our dogs, Buster (Golden Retriever) & Brogan (Choc Lab )with us, lotta money, upheaval for them, hot country etc y'all know. I was a wee bit worried about the boy Buster, so I took him to vets to get him checked out, good strong heart, bit deaf(selective hearing) however as he was 14, he didnt think he would make it, so if we wanted, he could put him to sleep for us! I went mental!!!!!!!!! what ever small doubts I had were soon gone.
However, on Valentines night he had had a massive stroke, we (or the new vet) could do anything for him. So I lost my best mate of over 14 years!
Brogan flew out earlier this month and we pick her up from Brissie
Airport on the 14 Dec.
Sorry to have gone on abit, but there's not a day goes by where I dont think about him......

So the moral of this story is, if in doubt, bring em out!!

Rob
So sorry you lost your dog, for us dog owners it's like losing a family member, 14 is a good age and at least he had a full life. We are bringing our 7 year old dog with us, worried sick, he suffers from seperation anxiety and stops eating. He has spent all his life going into kennels when we go on holiday and have managed to pick up a few tricks to get him to eat while we are gone. One of them is to put cheese grated into his food, that one he can't resist, I don't suppose the kennels over in Oz will do that for us though.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by maund family
So sorry you lost your dog, for us dog owners it's like losing a family member, 14 is a good age and at least he had a full life. We are bringing our 7 year old dog with us, worried sick, he suffers from seperation anxiety and stops eating. He has spent all his life going into kennels when we go on holiday and have managed to pick up a few tricks to get him to eat while we are gone. One of them is to put cheese grated into his food, that one he can't resist, I don't suppose the kennels over in Oz will do that for us though.
You might be surprised, when our lab would'nt eat they asked me if there was any tricks that I knew of to get her to eat. they seem really caring and will try to help. they weigh the dogs weekly and aim to send them out the same weight they came in at. unless instructed otherwise.

our dog lost a kg the first week, put on 1.5 kg the following and levelled out know. we get her on Mon. Can't wait.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.