Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

My beautiful dog please help

My beautiful dog please help

Old Jan 23rd 2004, 5:42 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all
Default Re: My beautiful dog please help

Originally posted by brummie bird
Hello all,

To my dismay we have decided for lots of reasons not to take my dog to perth, we go about May.

He is KC registered Border collie, long haired. Does anyone know any border collie enthusiasts who might want my georgeous doggie??

I have spoilt him a little, which will now cause a problem, always fussing and loving him cuddling him to sleep etc!!!!!

Any ideas Im in Worcestershire.

Cheers for any help or advice.
Hiya BB

Just wanted to send some sympathetic thoughts - know just what you're going through. Had to leave my beaut Maine Coon cat (sorry, not a dog, but mattered just as much to me!) when I left the Us. Cried about as much as Lake Ontario He was fine, though - animals adapt a lot better than we think sometimes, as long as they get to live with someone nice (and, let's face it, despite all the negatives here, most dog/cat loving people are).

However, this time it's different: have decided to take my 2 cats to Oz: although they will have to be indoor cats, I've checked out what they do all day & it boils down to: sleeping on our bed/the guest bed/ the sofa/Mr Anya's sports car's roof. They're nearly 9, so are getting to that 'bloke-on-the-sofa-with-a-beer' stage of their lives! So this time, taking them is the right thing to do...

So whatever you decide, I'm sure it will work out.....

Good luck,
Anya.
Old Jan 23rd 2004, 7:11 pm
Account Closed

dazzac is an unknown quantity at this point

No help what so ever - we have a bearded collie and we'll be taking her.
We couldn't, wouldn't leave her.
We're off to Brisabne , pretty hot but I'm sure it'll help her aging joints. Guess she'll get a crew cut once the summer kicks in.
Hope all goes well with your decision - can't be easy.
Old Jan 23rd 2004, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

j hamilton is an unknown quantity at this point

hi how much does it actually cost to ship a dog over. we have a labarador and my 8 year old daughter is insisting we take him with us. thanks.
Old Jan 23rd 2004, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Regarding climate and dogs, We have a border collie in QLD. About November by which time its really warmed up we have him shaved down to about 1cm, it does look pretty funny the first few weeks, but it does not worry him one bit. Before we had the creek for him to swim in we just used to leave a big plastic tub of water in the backyard, which he would dip into. Most houses here have covered patio attached so finding shade is not a problem usually. Having said all that tho, in the recent heatwave, the damn thing discovered airconditioning and moved inside for a week
Old Jan 23rd 2004, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

Originally posted by bundy
Absolutely PP. We had to leave our beautiful, much loved Kelpie (bit like a border collie) on Oz.
When it comes to rounding up sheep in the bush, a kelpie will leave a border collie panting under the ute every time. I think your decision was spot on.

Here's another site which might help

www.rescuepet.org.uk/
Old Jan 24th 2004, 9:12 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dotty
Regarding climate and dogs, We have a border collie in QLD. About November by which time its really warmed up we have him shaved down to about 1cm, it does look pretty funny the first few weeks, but it does not worry him one bit. Before we had the creek for him to swim in we just used to leave a big plastic tub of water in the backyard, which he would dip into. Most houses here have covered patio attached so finding shade is not a problem usually. Having said all that tho, in the recent heatwave, the damn thing discovered airconditioning and moved inside for a week

1st point where is Buderim

2nd is running aircon expensive, we considered building a kennel annexe with air con in , i know people do it there , weve seen it , but wondered on cost.

3rd we had our willy (male newfy~reason for name is another story) shorn to 1cm and wow he was like a puppy, he did look funny.

4th how do you cope with ticks etc.

5th do you feel he suffers with the humidity.

cheers steve
Old Jan 24th 2004, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

g and l is an unknown quantity at this point

We're taking our dog, a 12 year old Weimaraner to perth, around Nov time.

She's a temperamemtal dog, she wouldn't adapt to living with anyone else, and we certainly wouldn't send her to the glue factory!

I guess Collies, from what i've seen, tend to adapt pretty well to new owners. I guess it's what will make your dog happiest.

Cost is not a consideration, certainly for us, we hope to make a bajillion pounds on our house
Old Jan 24th 2004, 12:10 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally posted by brummie bird
Hello all,

To my dismay we have decided for lots of reasons not to take my dog to perth, we go about May.

He is KC registered Border collie, long haired. Does anyone know any border collie enthusiasts who might want my georgeous doggie??

I have spoilt him a little, which will now cause a problem, always fussing and loving him cuddling him to sleep etc!!!!!

Any ideas Im in Worcestershire.

Cheers for any help or advice.
Hi There,

I had a look on the internet for you and found a Border Collie rescue place in Richmond North Yorkshire. Their phone number is 0870 4445838 They may be able to help of tell you of one that is close to you.

If you look on www.dogpages.org.uk and go to the 'dog rescue pages' then click onto your area on the map it brings up all dog rescue centres.

There is also a Border Collie Trust in Staffordshire and thier number is 0188 9577058

Good luck.

We didn't have trouble renting here in Perth and we had a dog and two cats! It's your choice at the end of the day though.
Old Jan 24th 2004, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

Originally posted by anya4oz
They're nearly 9, so are getting to that 'bloke-on-the-sofa-with-a-beer' stage of their lives!
Good luck,
Anya.

Know what ya mean
Attached Thumbnails My beautiful dog please help-image001.gif  
Old Jan 24th 2004, 5:46 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

Brummie Bird - sent you a PM - let me know what you think.
Old Jan 24th 2004, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

Posted earlier today how much it will cost to send our 2 labradors to oz with us and I can tell you it is expensive!

My husband (Whingin Pom) recently posted a similar thread last week. Over the last few month's we keep changing our minds on whether to take them or not. What has swayed it for us is our son, he will have to have friends to hug when he gets over there.

If it wasn't for the cost, then I don't think it would be as much of a problem but it is going to cost a small fortune.

Also, our girl does not get on well with heat and comes out in a rash on her tummy, too much yeast the vet said and we now have to bathe her in special shampoo in the summer. So is it fair to take her? (although it does seem to be getting better the older she gets).

Our dog is just a nutter, docile, playful and very loving and I don't think he will be a problem.

Do you think that it would be fair to seperate them if we have to?

Mandy
Old Jan 29th 2004, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

BB having read all the threads have you still got your heart set on leaving your dog behind?

It seems that he would cope with the heat or there would be ways round it and it does get cold here!

When we looked at rental houses there were a lot of negotiable statements. There are a lot of rental houses so landlords tend to be flexible. Quite often you put down an additional bond so that you get the house de-flead!!!! Cheeky Australians!

30 days quarantine is nothing-our dog is going through 7 months but we would not have it any other way and it will be worth it.

I work at a dog rescue centre and there are so many unwanted dogs. Dogs never asked to be dumped or re-homed. Our dog will come anywhere with us now whatever country we settle in eventually.

I am not knocking you as each case is different and I do not know all the ins and outs.

All I am saying is think about it carefully as it would be a shame for you to think a few months down the line that he would have been ok.
Old Jan 29th 2004, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

S Oldfield is an unknown quantity at this point

hate to sound like a bitch, but this dog is your BABY!!
How would you feel if the people that `get` him were evil to him.......I would spend forever worrying that I have done the wrong thing.
Think hard about it.....
Old Jan 29th 2004, 9:46 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally posted by S Oldfield
hate to sound like a bitch, but this dog is your BABY!!
How would you feel if the people that `get` him were evil to him.......I would spend forever worrying that I have done the wrong thing.
Think hard about it.....
I too think its' sad when people don't bring their pets out to OZ with them Even though it cost us a lot of money to bring our out we still bought them.

Maybe put off coming for a few months to save for their air fare would be better than not bringing them?

Ours are all returning back to the UK despite having to spend over $1000 just on Rabies vaccines etc... the airfare is going to cost around another $2500 !! but they are part of our family
Old Jan 29th 2004, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

brummie bird is on a distinguished road

Thanks to everyone who has posted a reply, at the moment i am still totally unsure what to do, i have absolutely no right to put him in a dog home and i would never do that in a million years, but someone might have him, and then put him in a home so i cant be sure at all can i??

He also is a little bit livley, and a little difficult to walk on a lead, he always wants to run a 90 miles an hour on a field, no stroll down the park for this dog. Hes quite cute though because i swear he looks like hes laughing when hes running, he loves it so much!!

I had a private trainer come to the house last saturday to give some tips on calming and training, and you know what, he is absolutely fab, huge difference already, its all about knowing what to do.

She suggeted i have him castrated :scared: to help calm him, do any of you dog lovers have any views they might offer on that one?

Once again thanks all, your really kind to take the time to help.

Angie.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.