Reload this Page >

My beautiful dog please help

Wikiposts

My beautiful dog please help

Old Feb 9th 2004, 5:46 am
Just Joined

redbod will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by scrawni
If you wanted to sort it all out for yourselves, how would you go about it.?

We are taking 2 dogs and have quotes from £3500 to £5000. That's alot of dosh.

Mandy
Aaaghhhhhhhhhhhh 3rd attempt.....god I wish I wasn't such a technophobe

Anyway Hi there Mandy.......

I was quoted £1110 by Par Air for two Shih Tzu's..........had to sit down at the shock so I don't know whatpeople sending Great Danes over think

anyway I checked on the nte .... www.affa.gov.au and chose the appropriate catagory (from UK it is Cat 2) whcih will bring up an info sheet which in reality is a bit of a check list.

I then took that to the vets and was told basically that all the inoculations are ones we regularly give our pooches. on top of those you will pay for the exam and the forms to be completed....luckily for me my locval vet employs both govt approved vets & official vets but if yours donesn't they should be able to tell you the nearest.

check out the above web site and there is loads of info on the side indexes

including what the quarantine stations have to offer for example I was a wee bit worried about my two being seperated but the Melbourne one allows dogs to stay together if applied in advance.

Happy hunting

Lorna
Old Feb 9th 2004, 12:03 pm
tia
Forum Regular

tia is an unknown quantity at this point

We had 2 dogs in the uk,one a collie cross and the other was a rottie..both lovely dogs and i loved them both madly and they were part of the family..collie 6yrs old,rottie 5yrs old,then we decided to emigrate and then all the heartache happened as we decided to find them new homes...we were lucky as good friends had them but we had to split them up..when we dropped jade off at my friends she didnt care all she was interested in was the other dog and food and she has settled in very well and loves her new owner,my other friend had tia and they lived 8 doors down from me so about 3months before we left they started taking her for walks then after a month they had her over weekends,then i used to let them feed her and keep her till late at night so they got to know all about her and they feel in love with her..all the time my heart was breaking as i knew she was looking forward to seeing anne more and more as she used to sit waiting for her to pick her up,so a week before we left she moved into her new home,i poped down now and then to see how she was and she was great ...me i was heart broken to let them go and now im in oz i still am and i really wish i had brought them over with me..but i really thought you would have problems getting rentals with dogs but you can just as long as you arnt confinded to one area then you will get somwere...it was one of the hardest things i had to do ...i was lucky friends had them....
Old Feb 9th 2004, 3:34 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by Timber Floor Au

4th how do you cope with ticks etc.

cheers steve

paralysis tick ... any animal can pick it up (one of my cats had one a few years back, and my friend had his little dog die from one of them) ... I can't stress how important it is to check the fur everyday. if your living next to bushland , or where native animals come in (ie bandicoots, possums, even blue tongue lizards - they all carry this tick) .

My cat was ok - I spotted it quickly enough - ie I always smooth my cats, so I spot any abnormalities .I spotted a "lump" that was on it's neck...closer inspection it was blue.. next day I took him into the vets , who removed it for me and the cat suffered no illness (because it was removed in time)(You can remove then yourself, but be careful not to leave any of it's "legs" in the animals skin) .

This is going back almost 6 years ago, I was in Newcastle at the time and although I don't think there were any Possums or Bandicoots (known carriers of this tick)around my then garden, there were plenty of blue tongues which were covered in ticks on their skin.

If you spot the tick sooner than later... no prob. It's always wise to check your animals on a regular basis . Been here almost 7 years, and only one of my cats have picked up one of these dangerous ticks.

It's just wise to check your animals if your living next to bushland, or go walking in bushland (the ticks hide under dead leaf litter,, waiting for their next host.. so when an amimal brushes along the litter .. it's meal time

But in all of my time here - it really is not such a big issue - if you check your pets fur /skin.

cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Feb 9th 2004 at 4:30 pm.