Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Murder in Sunshine Coast

Murder in Sunshine Coast

Old Feb 24th 2010, 10:05 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Murder in Sunshine Coast

Originally Posted by fish.01
Can you tell us how Sydney fares in comparison?
I did have a look and to be honest I find the NSW numbers very difficult to interpret. But Sydney reported 41 murders in 2008 - this is a slightly lower rate than all of NSW and a very much smaller number than in Melbourne.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 11:15 pm
Forum Regular

Cuppa10 has a brilliant futureCuppa10 has a brilliant futureCuppa10 has a brilliant futureCuppa10 has a brilliant futureCuppa10 has a brilliant futureCuppa10 has a brilliant future

Police in Victoria seem to enjoy shooting people and there is a lot of organised crime there. I guess it has a reputation for that.

The weird thing is, I actually quite enjoyed my time in Melbourne city, and I felt pretty safe.

I would guess that a lot of the murders are gang related, but I have no evidence to back that up.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 1:33 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by fish.01
Can you tell us how Sydney fares in comparison?
I have some 2005 figures:

But the 2008 figures which I will be updating soon, show Sydney now down to 0.9 per 100,000 and with NSW at 1.1

Old Feb 25th 2010, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by terfmop63
Hi All,
This is my first visit since registering.
I have been in Aus. since 1966 originally from Lancashire. I have travelled all over this great country (as well as most of the globe) & currently work and reside in Perth WA. Like most other 'Multi-Cultural' societies, there is always crime. Some worse than others. Take New Zealand for example, some years ago it had a clean green image, a great place to visit (still is) very little unempoyment and a crime rate most countries would envy and perhaps 1 murder every 10 years. Now it's almost weekly and catching very little headlines anymore. So. I guess we all have to be aware of what's happening and make a choice accordingly.
Have a great day
Unfortunately the downsides of modern day living, ie too much welfare, and family breakdown plus a lenient law and order system affects every society.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 7:30 am
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
The map in inaccurate - if you click through to the source data you'll see the figure quoted here (2.6) for UK is actually the figure for Scotland. The England & Wales figure is given as 1.6 and the AU figure in a range of 1.3 - 1.5...let's call it 1.4.
The figure for Scotland doesn't surprise me at all. I lived in Aberdeen for five years before moving to Perth. I felt like I was living a war zone and couldn't walk down certain streets because those streets were the domain of a teen gang who had beaten up one of my sons mates, who is now intellectually handicapped (long story about why I couldn't walk down the streets but we were "grassers" because we gave evidence to the police.)
Old Feb 25th 2010, 8:45 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aussietobe
The figure for Scotland doesn't surprise me at all. I lived in Aberdeen for five years before moving to Perth. I felt like I was living a war zone and couldn't walk down certain streets because those streets were the domain of a teen gang who had beaten up one of my sons mates, who is now intellectually handicapped (long story about why I couldn't walk down the streets but we were "grassers" because we gave evidence to the police.)
Well I lived in Scotland for 22 years, 4 of them in Glasgow & 1 in Aberdeen - I wouldn't label any part of it as like a war zone. Certainly not Aberdeen although it does have it's less savoury areas. Glasgow has some areas with massive social problems and I suspect the city is more or less responsible for Scotland's higher overall rate.

Clearly you had certain specific circumstances but that kind of intimidation can & does happen everywhere.