Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Murder in Sunshine Coast

Wikiposts

Murder in Sunshine Coast

Old Feb 20th 2010, 12:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Murder in Sunshine Coast

Originally Posted by mohogony
If your only reason for immigrating is to escape crime then perhaps move to a low crime part of the UK, l think the murder rate and crime rate in OZ is roughly the same as the UK.

Certainly dont move to oz to escape stabbings. Melbournes THE AGE newspaper is reporting its 5th stabbing this weekend. In reality despite all the life in the sun shows, UK is probably just as safe.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 12:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Certainly dont move to oz to escape stabbings. Melbournes THE AGE newspaper is reporting its 5th stabbing this weekend. In reality despite all the life in the sun shows, UK is probably just as safe.
And back to reading the news, Another one.

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news...-1225832643198
Old Feb 20th 2010, 12:39 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Theres no crime in antartica but its a bit too cold for me.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 12:41 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by terfmop63
Hi All,
This is my first visit since registering.
I have been in Aus. since 1966 originally from Lancashire. I have travelled all over this great country (as well as most of the globe) & currently work and reside in Perth WA. Like most other 'Multi-Cultural' societies, there is always crime. Some worse than others. Take New Zealand for example, some years ago it had a clean green image, a great place to visit (still is) very little unempoyment and a crime rate most countries would envy and perhaps 1 murder every 10 years. Now it's almost weekly and catching very little headlines anymore. So. I guess we all have to be aware of what's happening and make a choice accordingly.
Have a great day
Theres very little crime in tasmania, it has the lowest crime rate of any state.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 12:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Theres very little crime in tasmania, it has the lowest crime rate of any state.
I think the murder of 32 kids and families at Port Arthur one sunday afternoon would put the avg life in the sun seeker off

Been there, pulled up in a campervan, the park guide tells you about the mass murder in a very matter of fact way
Old Feb 20th 2010, 1:13 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by jad n rich
I think the murder of 32 kids and families at Port Arthur one sunday afternoon would put the avg life in the sun seeker off

Been there, pulled up in a campervan, the park guide tells you about the mass murder in a very matter of fact way
APart from that one off incident
Old Feb 20th 2010, 2:24 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

All the large cities in OZ have plenty of crime but its no worse then the UK , l live in a country area of OZ theres very little crime at all here. Crime all depends on what part of OZ you live in , bad suburbs of large cities have plenty of crime while theres many places such as some areas in Country OZ that have very little crime. l think Canberra is the city that has the lowest crime rate in OZ and Tasmania is the state with the lowest crime rate. l wouldn't base your decision to immigrate based on one murder, school kids don't stab each other to death everyday. Regarding 1 in 7 people affraid to Walk the streets at night l'm sure that would be no worse any city of the same size as brisbane anywhere in the world
If you actually look at the statistics the results can be quite surprising - the crime figures for rural areas, particularly crimes against the person can be quite high.

Victorian country towns like Ballarat, Bendigo, Swan Hill, Mildura, Warnambool and places like Gippsland all have rates of violent crime in excess of the Victorian average, in the case of some of them (Ballarat, Swan Hill, Gippsland) about 50% higher. Meanwhile many Melbourne suburbs are way below the Victorian average - in some cases 50% lower e.g. Bayside and some other SE suburbs.

However I'm sure people's perceptions may differ, even if the stats don't support them.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 2:30 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Take assualts:

Tasmania 2008: 750 per 100,000.

Victoria 2007/8: 595.7 per 100,000 (from the doc I already linked to).
Old Feb 20th 2010, 3:31 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by bcworld
Take assualts:

Tasmania 2008: 750 per 100,000.

Victoria 2007/8: 595.7 per 100,000 (from the doc I already linked to).
Looks like you have proven me wrong on everything, thanks
Old Feb 20th 2010, 4:10 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

Looks like you have proven me wrong on everything, thanks
No need to be sad - just think, you have less chance of being assaulted than if you lived in Tasmania!
Old Feb 20th 2010, 4:19 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Can I ask why it matters? I mean, obviously it's very sad for the families concerned and no one wants to be a victim of crime whether it's burglary or murder but, without knowing any stats or even caring about stats as they can be twisted to show anything, the actual chances of something happening to you is unlikely. I'm pushing bloody close to 50 and only been the victim of crime once in my life. My mother who's 85 has never had anything occur.

Do people really spend their time worrying about something that might or might not happen? And do people really base migrating on stats produced in newspapers?

Not having a dig at anyone, am honestly interested.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 4:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Can I ask why it matters? I mean, obviously it's very sad for the families concerned and no one wants to be a victim of crime whether it's burglary or murder but, without knowing any stats or even caring about stats as they can be twisted to show anything, the actual chances of something happening to you is unlikely. I'm pushing bloody close to 50 and only been the victim of crime once in my life. My mother who's 85 has never had anything occur.

Do people really spend their time worrying about something that might or might not happen? And do people really base migrating on stats produced in newspapers?
Probably makes immigrating easier if you can justify it by convincing yourself that in the UK you will be raped, robbed, stabbed and murdered . Then convince yourself that in OZ these things wont happen and bingo, the very difficult and traumatic decision of giving up your home, family, friends and financial security, makes sense.

Daily Mail articles work the best
Old Feb 20th 2010, 4:47 pm
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NedKelly
I think the main difference is that in the UK the police arrest the victim rather than the criminal.
That's Saudi Arabia.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 4:52 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NedKelly
I think the main difference is that in the UK the police arrest the victim rather than the criminal.
Interesting. Do they prop the corpses up in the dock then?
Old Feb 20th 2010, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte
Interesting. Do they prop the corpses up in the dock then?
I am sure they would if it means they have cleared up a crime and thus met quota.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.