Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Murder in Sunshine Coast

Murder in Sunshine Coast

Old Feb 20th 2010, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

Tricky Nicky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Murder in Sunshine Coast

So saddened for lots of reasons to have seen the shocking murder of private schoolboy in Redcliffe, Queensland.

We are still in UK and have been seriously considering emigrating to Oz, however feel now that it would be complete madness when one of the main reasons would be to provide a better childhood and environment for the kids.

We have never been under any illusion that problems exist in every country and where there's humans there will be problems however I genuinely was led to believe that this kind of problem did not exist in Australia. Have also just read an article from 'Brisbane Courier' which suggests that 1 in 7 people are too scared to walk the streets in their neighbourhood etc and it's all just too familiar and depressing!!

Would really appreciate any opinions from those of you who have made the move or are in the same position as us.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 1:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Murder in Sunshine Coast

Yep everything you read is true But on the other hand do a google on 9 year old knifed in Bradford
Old Feb 20th 2010, 9:05 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tricky Nicky
So saddened for lots of reasons to have seen the shocking murder of private schoolboy in Redcliffe, Queensland.

We are still in UK and have been seriously considering emigrating to Oz, however feel now that it would be complete madness when one of the main reasons would be to provide a better childhood and environment for the kids.

We have never been under any illusion that problems exist in every country and where there's humans there will be problems however I genuinely was led to believe that this kind of problem did not exist in Australia. Have also just read an article from 'Brisbane Courier' which suggests that 1 in 7 people are too scared to walk the streets in their neighbourhood etc and it's all just too familiar and depressing!!

Would really appreciate any opinions from those of you who have made the move or are in the same position as us.
I'm not sure who led you to believe that this kind of problem did not exist in Australia but I wouldn't listen to them any more.

UK and Aus are kissing cousins when it comes to crime. Some stats slightly worse some slightly better but all very similar.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 9:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Try researching and making your own mind up. Here's a decent place to start.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/
Old Feb 20th 2010, 9:15 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by spartacus
Try researching and making your own mind up. Here's a decent place to start.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/
How will that work? I have it on goof authority that the Aus media doesn't report any bad news.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 9:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
How will that work? I have it on goof authority that the Aus media doesn't report any bad news.
Of all the Disney characters, Goofey's the least trustworthy.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 9:22 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

All the large cities in OZ have plenty of crime but its no worse then the UK , l live in a country area of OZ theres very little crime at all here. Crime all depends on what part of OZ you live in , bad suburbs of large cities have plenty of crime while theres many places such as some areas in Country OZ that have very little crime. l think Canberra is the city that has the lowest crime rate in OZ and Tasmania is the state with the lowest crime rate. l wouldn't base your decision to immigrate based on one murder, school kids don't stab each other to death everyday. Regarding 1 in 7 people affraid to Walk the streets at night l'm sure that would be no worse any city of the same size as brisbane anywhere in the world

Last edited by mohogony; Feb 20th 2010 at 9:38 pm.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 9:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by mohogony
All the large cities in OZ have plenty of crime but its no worse then the UK , l live in a country area of OZ theres very little crime here.
I'd second that . . . apart from drink driving probably.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 9:26 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by spartacus
Of all the Disney characters, Goofey's the least trustworthy.
Exactly.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 9:41 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

If your only reason for immigrating is to escape crime then perhaps move to a low crime part of the UK, l think the murder rate and crime rate in OZ is roughly the same as the UK.

Last edited by mohogony; Feb 20th 2010 at 9:44 pm.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 10:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

BTW Shorncliffe where the murder happened is Bayside Brisbane, not sunshine coast, however not saying it wouldnt happen on the SC, it could happen anywhere in OZ.

Who on earth led you to believe that sort of thing didnt happen in austraila. Australians are a different race, not a different species.

However I shouldnt be surprised, on this forum a person once asked about bullying, a poster replied quite seriously that it doesnt happen in australia

A few days before the sad stabbing in brisbane, there was someone who had moved back to the UK saying they wanted to move to oz, you guessed it, because someone in the UK had been stabbed.

Australia has similar same rates of crime, murders, violence, drugs, mental illness, social problems etc etc as anywhere else in the western world.

BTW shorncliffe whre the murder happened is not the sunshine coast, its Bayside Brisbane, however it could happen anywhere.

Last edited by jad n rich; Feb 20th 2010 at 11:01 pm.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

I think the main difference is that in the UK the police arrest the victim rather than the criminal.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 12:15 am
Banned

terfmop63 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,
This is my first visit since registering.
I have been in Aus. since 1966 originally from Lancashire. I have travelled all over this great country (as well as most of the globe) & currently work and reside in Perth WA. Like most other 'Multi-Cultural' societies, there is always crime. Some worse than others. Take New Zealand for example, some years ago it had a clean green image, a great place to visit (still is) very little unempoyment and a crime rate most countries would envy and perhaps 1 murder every 10 years. Now it's almost weekly and catching very little headlines anymore. So. I guess we all have to be aware of what's happening and make a choice accordingly.
Have a great day
Old Feb 21st 2010, 12:26 am
Living in the mountains

earlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to all

It is not like this is happening on a daily occurrence in schools. This was an isolated incident. A very sad one at that.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 12:29 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by terfmop63
Hi All,
This is my first visit since registering.
I have been in Aus. since 1966 originally from Lancashire. I have travelled all over this great country (as well as most of the globe) & currently work and reside in Perth WA. Like most other 'Multi-Cultural' societies, there is always crime. Some worse than others. Take New Zealand for example, some years ago it had a clean green image, a great place to visit (still is) very little unempoyment and a crime rate most countries would envy and perhaps 1 murder every 10 years. Now it's almost weekly and catching very little headlines anymore. So. I guess we all have to be aware of what's happening and make a choice accordingly.
Have a great day
Hi terfmop, welcome to BE!

I think you can blame Helen Clark and her far left mates in the progressive party for the downfall of New Zealand. A great shame and the reason so many Kiwi's moved here to Oz.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.