Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving from UK to Melbourne

Moving from UK to Melbourne

Old Jan 31st 2021, 12:28 am
Just Joined

FSS1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving from UK to Melbourne

Currently thinking of moving from York (UK) to Melbourne in the next year/18 months and I was just wondering if anyone had any hints or tips.

I have obviously looked through countless blogs and articles regarding the move, however it would be good to gain some up to date knowledge!

I am a PE teacher and my other half is a police officer, and we will both be looking for work when we arrive. Further, I have been looking continuously at the job roles that are coming up and there seems to be a fair few - is this a regular thing?

Also, would it be difficult for a Police officer to achieve a job after arriving?

I can appreciate that all this is hypothetical at the minute, but just to reiterate - it would be brilliant just to get some up to date information.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 31st 2021, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from UK to Melbourne

Do you already have visas/citizenship?
Old Jan 31st 2021, 4:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I think you may be putting the cart before the horse - jobs are irrelevant if you can't get visas and afaik police officer isnt on there, Whether you, as a PE teacher, would be eligible for a visa depends on lots of things - first of all, do you have a 4 year degree? PE teachers are ten a penny in Australia so if and where you can get a job might also depend on what other subjects you can teach, what other sub skills you might have that are sports related.
Old Jan 31st 2021, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for the quick response!

I do have a tendency to do that to be fair! Ive had a glance at the point system and I believe I would achieve around 80pts. Am I right in saying the needed level is 60pts? In addition to this, would this be as important if I was being sponsored by a school that I had gained employment?
I do hold a 3 year Sport Science degree with a year teacher training also. I also have experience teaching A level PE, Btec PE (I understand it is still PE, but was hoping this may help further?) and geography.

I lead additional modules such as the Sports Leaders course and I have been a team leader for an expedition to Costa Rica.
Old Jan 31st 2021, 2:13 pm
Just Joined

I don't have either, it is very much an early thought and dream.

Would it be very difficult to achieve a visa? As I said, It is very early and I am quite unsure of the difficulties!
Old Feb 1st 2021, 7:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Is your one year teacher training a University based PGCE or a school based one? If it is Uni based then you should be eligible for registration as a teacher but if it was school based then it is not eligible. Being offered a visa is a competitive process and whilst the baseline might be 60 points you might be up against people with 90 points and it would be useful to check what points are being offered visas at the moment. You'd best talk to a registered agent and see what they have to say.
Old Feb 1st 2021, 8:31 am
Just Joined

Ah okay, I completed a school centred teacher training course - however, I have been teaching for 6 years since. What would be the reason for my course not being eligible? Surely it would be beneficial to have more experience in a school setting?

I didn't realise that it would be dependant on others trying to enter the country at that time also, so I appreciate you giving me the heads up on that!
I'll have a look to see if I can talk to an agent in the near future.

As always, thanks for your input - it really is appreciated!
Old Feb 1st 2021, 9:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FSS1
I didn't realise that it would be dependant on others trying to enter the country at that time also, so I appreciate you giving me the heads up on that!
Don't know what visa you're looking at, but a search of the forum might throw up info on the usual minimum points requirement as well. Information on moving to Aus for an Electrician

And I'm sure you can look up the points threshold for previous draws too to see if your 80 points would be enough.

Good luck.
Old Feb 1st 2021, 9:54 am
Just Joined

Thank you,

All the help received is greatly appreciated and hopefully I can get something sorted!

Thanks again.
Old Feb 2nd 2021, 5:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ah okay, I completed a school centred teacher training course - however, I have been teaching for 6 years since. What would be the reason for my course not being eligible? Surely it would be beneficial to have more experience in a school setting?

As always, thanks for your input - it really is appreciated!
Ah, you could be in a pickle there. Your experience amounts to diddly squat if you dont have a 4 year university teaching qualification - ie either a 4 year BEd or a 3 year degree plus GCSE. All Australian teachers are required to have a 4 year university based qualification so if you dont have that, you wont get a visa and you wouldnt get a job. It's not me, it's Australia's requirements regardless of how silly you may feel they are. That's a problem that a lot of UK teachers encounter because the school based qualifications are quite popular there.
Old Feb 2nd 2021, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Ah, you could be in a pickle there. Your experience amounts to diddly squat if you dont have a 4 year university teaching qualification - ie either a 4 year BEd or a 3 year degree plus GCSE. All Australian teachers are required to have a 4 year university based qualification so if you don't have that, you wont get a visa and you wouldn't get a job. It's not me, it's Australia's requirements regardless of how silly you may feel they are. That's a problem that a lot of UK teachers encounter because the school based qualifications are quite popular there.
That's one of the reasons our youngest went the university route rather than school based one for his teaching qualifications a lot of his friends choose the school route after university as it was (for them) easier than another year at university a couple of them who want to experience working overseas are now seeing how much harder it is to gain overseas employment in English speaking countries.
Old Feb 2nd 2021, 8:09 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by quoll
Ah, you could be in a pickle there. Your experience amounts to diddly squat if you dont have a 4 year university teaching qualification - ie either a 4 year BEd or a 3 year degree plus GCSE. All Australian teachers are required to have a 4 year university based qualification so if you dont have that, you wont get a visa and you wouldnt get a job. It's not me, it's Australia's requirements regardless of how silly you may feel they are. That's a problem that a lot of UK teachers encounter because the school based qualifications are quite popular there.
Okay, I was just under the impression that with the 3 year BSc and an extra year PGCE that it would be relative to the Australian equivalent, regardless to the fact I achieved the qualification whilst being in a school.
The only reason Im continuing with this line of questioning is the fact I am hearing conflicting things.
Old Feb 2nd 2021, 9:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Okay, I was just under the impression that with the 3 year BSc and an extra year PGCE that it would be relative to the Australian equivalent, regardless to the fact I achieved the qualification whilst being in a school.
The only reason Im continuing with this line of questioning is the fact I am hearing conflicting things.
Nope sorry, it isnt. The 4 year University based training is immutable. You might be able to get around it by doing an MEd which has at least 45 days supervised teaching practice. It's been a stumbling block for many UK school trained teachers with respect to obtaining a visa.