Reload this Page >

Information on moving to Aus for an Electrician

Information on moving to Aus for an Electrician

Old Jun 7th 2020, 5:16 pm
Just Joined

Marson84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Information on moving to Aus for an Electrician

Hi

im looking for some advice/info on moving to Australia with my Wife and Son!

ive been all around Aus and even spent a couple of years playing rugby there, so I know the area I’d like to live! Between Brisbane and Gold Coast if possible

But just some questions about work? And relocation costs?

Im planning on keeping my house over here initially to rent out and if it go’s well over there sell it, but how long do you have to be in Aus to be able to buy a place?

Is it difficult to get a visa? Or could anyone recommend who to speak to?

work:
im a fully qualified electrician over here running my own business but what is the situation with being an electrician there? I know I need to get a state licence but is it a lengthy process? Expensive?
can you work or get work as an electrician before you’ve got this licence?

sorry for rambling and thanks for listening
Old Jun 7th 2020, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Information on moving to Aus for an Electrician

While in general your expectations seem realistic -

The visa can be very difficult to get. Have you been to the government's points calculator? Have a look now. Generally people are needing 85-90 points these days. Don't make any irreversible decisions until you have your grant notice.

As you are so new I would recommend an agent. There are some who float around on these threads who you should look into hiring. They can give you a realistic assessment on your chances.

I can't speak to the job market or registration requirements for electricians.
Old Jun 8th 2020, 1:06 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

If you are not an Australian, and are planning on moving on one of the skilled visas, then you need to get your skills assessed.

The first step for an electrician is a paper based assessment. If successful, there is a practical assessment as well.

Not sure of current costs - I think when I did mine it was close to $2500 - $3000 AUD. Assessing bodies are Vetassess (they have a good website with lots of guides), Future Skills or Victoria University. Places like the 'Down Under Centre' in London can be helpful (DUC assess under Future Skills). Not sure how much this adds to the cost - I did mine myself.

Anyway, if successful, you are issued with an OTSR (Offshore / Overseas Technical Skills Record). You can use this to get a provisional license that allows you to work as an employee under supervision. You then need to complete gap training (theoretical with tests) and supervised experience. The time taken is often said to be 12 months, but each state can be different. You have a number of items that you need to complete and add to a portfolio. Once you complete all steps, you can get signed off as Cert III and get your A class license. This allows you to work as an employee unsupervised.

If you wanted to run your own business, there are more hoops to jump through, and I can't help with those.

For Queensland licensing - https://www.worksafe.qld.gov.au/lice...eas-applicants

QET - Queensland Electrical Training - are often recommended for gap training, but not my state so can't verify
Old Jun 11th 2020, 1:52 pm
Just Joined

Britswantingabetterfuture is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi my husband is in the same situation, he owns his own electrical company which he'll sell, we are wanting to move to the Gold Coast there is a Australian convention going around the country soon were going to the Manchester one in October 20, then start the process, hopefully the 65 points remain if they have gone up that will push us out unfortunately. Its seems really complicated things changing all the time, so we'll probably invest in some help.
keep posting on how you get on.
kind regards
Natasha
Old Jun 12th 2020, 4:38 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Britswantingabetterfuture
Hi my husband is in the same situation, he owns his own electrical company which he'll sell, we are wanting to move to the Gold Coast there is a Australian convention going around the country soon were going to the Manchester one in October 20, then start the process, hopefully the 65 points remain if they have gone up that will push us out unfortunately. Its seems really complicated things changing all the time, so we'll probably invest in some help.
keep posting on how you get on.
kind regards
Natasha
The conventions (if they go ahead these days with the virus) are just lots of companies trying to sell you services. You would be better speaking to a good registered migration agent. As for points, 65 wouldn’t get you an invite anyway
Old Jun 12th 2020, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately, 65 points nowhere good enough. 65 points just allows you to submit an Expression of Interest. To actually have your Expression of Interest drawn from the pool to receive an invitation, you need right now to be on about 85 points. 80 points will put you in a very long line. 75 points or less is not helpful.
Old Jun 14th 2020, 4:41 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
The conventions (if they go ahead these days with the virus) are just lots of companies trying to sell you services. You would be better speaking to a good registered migration agent. As for points, 65 wouldn’t get you an invite anyway
Originally Posted by carcajou
Unfortunately, 65 points nowhere good enough. 65 points just allows you to submit an Expression of Interest. To actually have your Expression of Interest drawn from the pool to receive an invitation, you need right now to be on about 85 points. 80 points will put you in a very long line. 75 points or less is not helpful.
If you can find a state or territory to sponsor the application though, 65 points is enough.