Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Motorbike Thread

The Motorbike Thread

Old Mar 29th 2008, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

bigpaul has a spectacular aura aboutbigpaul has a spectacular aura aboutbigpaul has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: The Motorbike Thread

Thanks again for your help...do I need to supply an Australian address? Could struggle with that one?? If so where on the form do I tell them that?
Old Mar 29th 2008, 1:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

tripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by furkew
A general note for all bike enthousiasts, spares and aftermarket parts over here are bloody expensive in general. I buy 90% of my parts in the States. Ebay is good, but if you search the net, there are many sites for specific bikes in the states, which normally recommend good deals, and often have site sponsors offering discount on parts.

One example, I recently bought an alarm system costing $470.00US, here the same system costs over $750.00. Delivered in 7 days. Just remember to not spend more than $1000.00 at a time, otherwise you will need to pay duty & get customs clearance etc.
Yeah, thats true..that is why I took all my extras and carbon stuff off my R1 and am having it shipped after I have sold the bike here....also taking my devil magnum pipes and bought some standard R1 underseat exhausts off e bay here for £30 and put them on it before I sold the bike..not buying any aftermarket parts there!!
Liz
Old Mar 29th 2008, 3:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ian444 is just really niceIan444 is just really niceIan444 is just really niceIan444 is just really niceIan444 is just really niceIan444 is just really niceIan444 is just really niceIan444 is just really nice

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me the costs of importing a bike, i thought selling was the best bet but i'd prefere to take it with me if it's not too expensive.

Ian...
Old Mar 30th 2008, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

GaryVFR8s_Wife is a jewel in the roughGaryVFR8s_Wife is a jewel in the roughGaryVFR8s_Wife is a jewel in the roughGaryVFR8s_Wife is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by bigpaul
Thanks again for your help...do I need to supply an Australian address? Could struggle with that one?? If so where on the form do I tell them that?
Hey Paul,

Sorry, i can't remember exactly where it asked for an Australian address. If you don't have one or it's a while before you leave the UK, they might send it to your UK address, i'm not 100% sure. Best thing to do would be to ask DOTARS what the proceedure would be for this.

Sorry i can't remember the exact details. I've got pregnancy brain currently and struggle to remember my own name most days!
Old Mar 30th 2008, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

bigpaul has a spectacular aura aboutbigpaul has a spectacular aura aboutbigpaul has a spectacular aura about

No worries, nice 1 anyhow. It will be a while before we leave the UK, we've got our meds a week tomorrow and all the copies of my passport etc to go with my Import Application are with a solicitor at the moment being authenticated! Should get them back next week sometime...so I'll post it all off and it'll give me time to iron out any issues as we have September in our heads to be moving...just in time for the Australian summer & nice long ride outs!!!!

Thanks for your help again, greatly appreciated!

Paul
Old Mar 30th 2008, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

GaryVFR8s_Wife is a jewel in the roughGaryVFR8s_Wife is a jewel in the roughGaryVFR8s_Wife is a jewel in the roughGaryVFR8s_Wife is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by bigpaul
No worries, nice 1 anyhow. It will be a while before we leave the UK, we've got our meds a week tomorrow and all the copies of my passport etc to go with my Import Application are with a solicitor at the moment being authenticated! Should get them back next week sometime...so I'll post it all off and it'll give me time to iron out any issues as we have September in our heads to be moving...just in time for the Australian summer & nice long ride outs!!!!

Thanks for your help again, greatly appreciated!

Paul

Hey Paul,

Not a problem at all. The import approvals, once approved, are valid for the life of the vehicle, so it wont be a problem getting the approval now and having it ready for when you leave. As i said, DOTARS will be able to tell you what happens with the original of the import approval. The email address is on page 6 i think of this thread if you need that at all. (if you can't find it, give me a shout and i'll send it again)

Yep, September is a really lovely time for riding. Nice crisp mornings and it's not too hot (start of Spring). I'm sure you'll find some great roads wherever you're off to over here. Just beware of the nutbags with four wheels!
Old Mar 30th 2008, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

I have e-mailed DOTARS a few times with queries but they've yet to reply!!! We plan on moving to Brisbane area, south of the river so if you're over there...I'll give you a shout!

Take care!

Paul
Old Mar 30th 2008, 7:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really nice

Originally Posted by GaryVFR8s_Wife
Hey Paul,

Not a problem at all. The import approvals, once approved, are valid for the life of the vehicle, so it wont be a problem getting the approval now and having it ready for when you leave. As i said, DOTARS will be able to tell you what happens with the original of the import approval. The email address is on page 6 i think of this thread if you need that at all. (if you can't find it, give me a shout and i'll send it again)

Yep, September is a really lovely time for riding. Nice crisp mornings and it's not too hot (start of Spring). I'm sure you'll find some great roads wherever you're off to over here. Just beware of the nutbags with four wheels!
Wooo I'm getting incredibly excited about riding all those lovely Oz roads
Old Mar 30th 2008, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

trevamather is a jewel in the roughtrevamather is a jewel in the roughtrevamather is a jewel in the roughtrevamather is a jewel in the roughtrevamather is a jewel in the rough

hi
can anyone tell me where i could get prices for a new ktm 990 adventure in oz as when i looked on trading post they were selling 07 models for $22,000 yet i could get one from brackens in london brand new for £8500. a bit of maths ie 10% gst on top makes it sound better to buy one here and put it in the container with our other gear. The ktm website gave me all the qld dealers but their websites don't give prices on new stuff....or so it seems.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 8:39 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trevamather
hi
can anyone tell me where i could get prices for a new ktm 990 adventure in oz as when i looked on trading post they were selling 07 models for $22,000 yet i could get one from brackens in london brand new for £8500. a bit of maths ie 10% gst on top makes it sound better to buy one here and put it in the container with our other gear. The ktm website gave me all the qld dealers but their websites don't give prices on new stuff....or so it seems.
Heres a 990S being offered by a QLD dealer for $22,395 and thats before any haggling.

http://www.bikepoint.com.au/DesktopD...as=bikepointau

That means you could pick one up for about $20,000 in the end. BTW, you would need to own the bike for at least 12 months before you would be able to bring it over.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

trevamather is a jewel in the roughtrevamather is a jewel in the roughtrevamather is a jewel in the roughtrevamather is a jewel in the roughtrevamather is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by furkew
Heres a 990S being offered by a QLD dealer for $22,395 and thats before any haggling.

http://www.bikepoint.com.au/DesktopD...as=bikepointau

That means you could pick one up for about $20,000 in the end. BTW, you would need to own the bike for at least 12 months before you would be able to bring it over.
oh well that screws that idea up cos if they get their arses into gear we are hoping to be moving august ish
Old Mar 31st 2008, 7:26 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trevamather
oh well that screws that idea up cos if they get their arses into gear we are hoping to be moving august ish
Must admit, the more I read about the new KTM's the better they sound. They are producing some very nice bikes at the moment.

I think the wife would divorce me if I spent any more on bikes, parts or clothing
Old Mar 31st 2008, 10:10 am
Going for a ride

If anybody is interested, here are the total sales of bikes in Oz 2007, and the top ten as well.

http://www.fcai.com.au/files/2007_PR..._10_Report.pdf

http://www.fcai.com.au/files/2007_PR...ary_Report.pdf
Old Mar 31st 2008, 9:23 pm
Just Joined

rex_mason is an unknown quantity at this point

All this talk of buying bikes...............what about insurance?

My 2005 R1 costs me £300 cos I have lots of no claims, am 43 and currently live in a quiet backwater of the Cotswolds.............and will be on eBay in a few weeks time

Once I am out in Sydney in May what is it likely to cost me to insure something similar? Any suggestions for good brokers or how to get reasonably priced insurance? Can I use any of my clean history?

Once I am over it would be good to hook up for a blast.

I have a few questions around dirt bike/trail riding in the Sydney area so any info on what the craic is would be appreciated - clubs, trails, legals etc.

Ta

Rex

Last edited by rex_mason; Mar 31st 2008 at 9:26 pm.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 12:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rex_mason
All this talk of buying bikes...............what about insurance?

My 2005 R1 costs me £300 cos I have lots of no claims, am 43 and currently live in a quiet backwater of the Cotswolds.............and will be on eBay in a few weeks time

Ta

Rex
Hi Rex,

Check out www.aami.com.au, i know they're one insurance broker, they're quite good as far as if you have an accident and so forth ( i had one in my mum's car quite a few years back now, no damage to the other vehicle but they tried to claim their was, i called the insurance company and told them the police had noted down there was no damage to the other vehicle, and heard nothing back at all) They also do lifetime no cliams if you've had a clean record for so many years (i looked at an online quote with them when i first got my bike over here, although i've had to put that on hold for the time being) you can pay the premiums monthly if you want, or do it all online which i think is great (although that would only be Ok if you already had the bike's details). I also know that Allianz is over here.

There's loads if you google them through the Australian Google site (www.google.com.au) but here are a few that my search came up with, you might find that they'll do quotes online for you. www.insuremyride.com.au
www.ebikeinsurance.com.au www.motorcycle-insurance.com.au www.nrma.com.au/motorcycle. I'm not 100% sure but there might also be a site like you get in the UK, you know the Insurance supermarket type place that can compare insurance costs and what you receive for you. Again, might be a case of googling it.

Hope this helps a little. Let us know how you get on with it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.