Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Motorbike Thread

The Motorbike Thread

Old Apr 12th 2008, 2:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Pommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud of
Default Re: The Motorbike Thread

^^^ Lane Splitting is the act of moving between lanes of stationary traffic to get to the front of the lights.

Saves me 10 minutes on my daily commute, but i only ever do it when cars are stationary as aussie drivers have a tendancy to change lanes with little or no warning.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

knsc will become famous soon enough

Hi all
I am looking for some information from those in Australia.
Can anyone tell me what the bike dealers are like to work for? I am a qualified mechanic but have worked as a service manager and parts manager and would be looking to be either a service manager or a parts manager but would be willing to go back in to the workshop if need be. We are not sure exactly were we want to settle but it is more likely to be the Brisbane area or Adelaide.

Thanks
Nigel
Old Apr 13th 2008, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

GaryVFR8s_Wife is a jewel in the roughGaryVFR8s_Wife is a jewel in the roughGaryVFR8s_Wife is a jewel in the roughGaryVFR8s_Wife is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by knsc
Hi all
I am looking for some information from those in Australia.
Can anyone tell me what the bike dealers are like to work for? I am a qualified mechanic but have worked as a service manager and parts manager and would be looking to be either a service manager or a parts manager but would be willing to go back in to the workshop if need be. We are not sure exactly were we want to settle but it is more likely to be the Brisbane area or Adelaide.

Thanks
Nigel

I'm not sure what they're like to work for, but i know Simon from Simnmax works for a bike dealers in NSW central coast area. Might be worth PM'ing him if you want to know a little about it.

Sorry i couldn't help any more. Good luck though.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

Havn't posted on this thread for a bit........have now arrived in Cairns and sold my R1 in the U.k before coming out..thinking i would have to pay at least 12,000 dollars for a 2004 R1....and am now soooo excited as have just ordered a brand new one for 15,000 dollars (plus 1500 on the road costs). Hope to have it by the end of the week to cruise around those loveloy mountain roads around tropical cairns..and the coast roads. You just couldn't get a new r1 in U.K for that, or even a pre-registered one I reckon.
One thing is the extras you can order are well expensive, so I will be getting them from America 200 quid for a seat cowl is double that of the U.K)!!

Good luck all of you getting your bikes there but this proves there are good deals to be had...
Old Apr 15th 2008, 9:07 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix da Boss
Havn't posted on this thread for a bit........have now arrived in Cairns and sold my R1 in the U.k before coming out..thinking i would have to pay at least 12,000 dollars for a 2004 R1....and am now soooo excited as have just ordered a brand new one for 15,000 dollars (plus 1500 on the road costs). Hope to have it by the end of the week to cruise around those loveloy mountain roads around tropical cairns..and the coast roads. You just couldn't get a new r1 in U.K for that, or even a pre-registered one I reckon.
One thing is the extras you can order are well expensive, so I will be getting them from America 200 quid for a seat cowl is double that of the U.K)!!

Good luck all of you getting your bikes there but this proves there are good deals to be had...
Congrats on the new ride. Hope you have some good weather over the "winter" months so you can run her in properly.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix da Boss

this is Liz on Gills mail!!! She hadn't logged off so mine (tripawaymars) is on her account.....Gill hasn't bought a bike and become a biker chick!!!!!..and Gill is still da boss!!

I may convert her to be a biker chick yet!!
Old Apr 16th 2008, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

bigpaul has a spectacular aura aboutbigpaul has a spectacular aura aboutbigpaul has a spectacular aura about

I think I read somewhere that when importing a bike, your engine oil and fuel tank need to be drained...does anyone know if there is any truth in this?
Old Apr 17th 2008, 6:10 am
Forum Regular

GaryVFR8s_Wife is a jewel in the roughGaryVFR8s_Wife is a jewel in the roughGaryVFR8s_Wife is a jewel in the roughGaryVFR8s_Wife is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by bigpaul
I think I read somewhere that when importing a bike, your engine oil and fuel tank need to be drained...does anyone know if there is any truth in this?
I didn't drain either when i imported mine. Only thing my husband did was run the carbs out of fuel so that she'd start when she got over here (which she did after a bump start from the battery being a little flat). But no, i wasn't asked to drain anything out of anything on the bike. Can always double check with either DOTARS or it could be a policy that the company that you're shipping with might have.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

bigpaul has a spectacular aura aboutbigpaul has a spectacular aura aboutbigpaul has a spectacular aura about

Sorry...just one more question - How strict are the Australian Police over race cans...sorely tempted to buy one before the big move!!!

Thanks again!!!!
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 2:08 am
karma? You make your own!

adriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant future

Sorry...just one more question - How strict are the Australian Police over race cans...sorely tempted to buy one before the big move!!!

Thanks again!!!!
I'd say less strict. For my roadworthy tests, had big bore Termi's on my Ducati with 'not for road use' on them, and it went through. For the Lambretta scooter, he didn't even start it and that's got an expansion chamber on it (2 stroke). ...
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 2:12 am
karma? You make your own!

adriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by GaryVFR8s_Wife
I didn't drain either when i imported mine. Only thing my husband did was run the carbs out of fuel so that she'd start when she got over here (which she did after a bump start from the battery being a little flat). But no, i wasn't asked to drain anything out of anything on the bike. Can always double check with either DOTARS or it could be a policy that the company that you're shipping with might have.
Didn't drain anything from any of mine.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 4:14 am
Forum Regular

Thanks again!!!!

I'm pretty sure it depends on the state's policy when you roadworthy. But i know down here in Tas it's legal as long as it doesn't go above 94 decabels

It's probably worth asking the people that do the roadworthy certs in the state you're moving to before you purchase the can.

Also something to think about, if it's the Police you're worried about, just remember, just because it passed the roadworthiness, doesn't mean the Police wont try and do you for a loud exhaust, etc. Personally i think they're lifesavers, and if people can go with loud exhausts on their cars, then people on sports bikes should be able to as well (lets face it, HOG's are pretty loud and obnoxious anyway )
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 9:28 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again!!!!
Dont worry too much about that. It will only come down to bad luck if you are fined or they ask you to remove the can.

My bike is a Yamaha Warrior 1700 and recently had a set of V&H big shots fitted. I also have a feeling that the baffles are not the originals either (it was second hand) It makes a LOT of noise, and it got through Roadworthy, VIV & Rego without a comment. Another friend of mine has a Pro pipe which is even louder, and he got a letter in the post requesting his presence at Vic Roads for a noise test on his pipes (he thinks he upset someone while lane splitting ) He took off the pro pipe, went to Vic roads, passed without a fine & went back home and refitted the pipes after 2 weeks. (This is what others have done as well)

The amount of Harleys & other customs with very noisy aftermarket pipes around, they wont even look at a sporty with an aftermarket can.

I still believe loud pipes saves lives, whatever the experts say, and i'm sticking to it
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 3:41 am
BE Enthusiast

tripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by furkew
Congrats on the new ride. Hope you have some good weather over the "winter" months so you can run her in properly.

No winter months up here mate..it is now perfect blue skies and dry...and 30 degrees...
Liz
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 4:04 am

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again!!!!
Yoshi on mine with no dramas...Rear sets will fail roadworthy tho'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.