Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Missing Tesco's ...

Missing Tesco's ...

Old Sep 9th 2005, 12:32 am
FVC
Forum Regular

FVC is a jewel in the roughFVC is a jewel in the roughFVC is a jewel in the roughFVC is a jewel in the roughFVC is a jewel in the rough
Default Missing Tesco's ...

I know this is really sad, but I am missing shopping in Tesco and Boots, can't get used to the stack it high in no apparent order in Coles etc. Is it just me?

Which supermarkets would you recommend, we only have coles and safeways near us is Big W any better and does anyone know of out of town centres near South Yarra, Melbourne ?

Thanks

Fi
Old Sep 9th 2005, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

nmccallum has a spectacular aura aboutnmccallum has a spectacular aura aboutnmccallum has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Missing Tesco's ...

Originally Posted by FVC
I know this is really sad, but I am missing shopping in Tesco and Boots, can't get used to the stack it high in no apparent order in Coles etc. Is it just me?

Which supermarkets would you recommend, we only have coles and safeways near us is Big W any better and does anyone know of out of town centres near South Yarra, Melbourne ?

Thanks

Fi
Nope it's not just you!! I miss Sainsbury's and Marks so much!! Not that I often shopped at Marks - but at least I knew that I was guaranteed GOOD quality when I did pop in!! I find that in Aus - there's just no other choice....you're stuck with the exact same products in the exact same type of shops. There's no option if you want that nicer quality from the likes of Marks and Waitrose. Unless of course someone knows of the hidden treasures which I'd love to hear about!! So funny I had moan just yesterday about missing Boots!!

Think my boyfriend loves the fact that I don't like the shops here.....grocery bill is a lot less than it used to be!!!!
Old Sep 9th 2005, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FVC

Thanks

Fi
I'm NOT - used to work for them :scared:

We LIKE Coles now we have got used to all the products we can't get here
First few months were a bit 'awkward' must admit - but ok now.

We also shop in Woolworths and Bi-Lo at times, only for certain items we cant get in Coles. They all have their good and bad points.

Coles in Cairns, are the Australian equivalent to most Tesco stores, were I lived anyway. Their own brand name products are very good, unlike Tesco, cheap and nasty (IMO)
Stack it high? Were you lucky enough in the UK not to have to 'reach' for some products? In the almost new Tesco store where I worked, all the shop floor staff were always getting products for people you could not reach the high shelf levels.

BOOTS, have you not got any good 'chemists' where you live? Like Terry Whites? They are really good, go there for nearly all of my cosmetics and medicines, plus they have really good offers on everyday products like vitamins.

Hopefully someone will answer your questions who also lives near you.

HAPPY SHOPPING
Old Sep 9th 2005, 1:03 am
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute

hi
i found the shops a bit strange at first,i was used to a big tescos super store being practically on my door step,but over the weeks ive got to know the sores alot better and i like them much better now,i think my fave grocery store is woolworths, we have good one near us,at first i was extremely confused as what to buy what with nothing much being very familiar but ive tried alot of the local products and havent really come across very much i dont like,woolworths home brand ive found is very good,its just a case of trying things and seeing if you like them,if you dont dont buy them again isnt that the same in england i think the fresh fruit and veg especially in the fruit barns is fantastic,i think my shopping trolley is def more healthy than it was in the UK.

tracey
Old Sep 9th 2005, 2:13 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

I miss tesco too ....infact I must b double sad cos I just went on the online shopping for a look lmao........I need a life
Old Sep 9th 2005, 2:20 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggy
I miss tesco too ....infact I must b double sad cos I just went on the online shopping for a look lmao........I need a life
Tescos is shit. Crap fruit and veg and full of miserable shoppers.
Old Sep 9th 2005, 3:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth

Thks for enlightning us But aren't most shoppers miserable anyway, especially in supermarkets - doing the weekly grocery trip is, after all, BORING Most of us can think of much better things to be doing with our time
Old Sep 9th 2005, 3:18 am
Forum Regular

dshole will become famous soon enoughdshole will become famous soon enough

Simple, stop shopping in supermarkets. They are a waste of time, start going to the markets and get to know your traders.
Old Sep 9th 2005, 3:40 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by renth
not the one I went to......was a fab shop....and I'm a Happy Shopper lol
Old Sep 9th 2005, 3:49 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

I was back shopping in Tescos, Waitrose, Sainsbury and M&S two weeks ago.

The weekend I arrived back here and had to head to Woolies for a couple of bits I entered the store and burst into tears. Ok I have severe homesickness again but after two years getting back to a decent store and being reminded of all I am missing was a very traumatic experience

I will state I am happy enough living here, I do not like shopping at the best of times but supermarkets here do not make the experience any better.

Cheers Sandra
Old Sep 9th 2005, 5:45 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

I've always found the selection to be very good in Australian supermarkets in general with one exception - pre-packaged meal type food. Sainsburys, Tescos and especially M&S make their substantive profits from these, not from the fruit, veg (usually loss leaders) and other items to cook with. Frankly this is a very good thing nutritionaly speaking and I for one dont miss them!!!

However, Aussie markets offer a huge range of other items and also the selection of independent traders is very good - compared to the UK where most have been driven out of business if they are anywhere near a large supermarket. The Deli shops, grocers and bakers for example simply dont feature much nowadays in UK life to the majority in the urban sprawl and more is the shame.

All in all, the shops are different to the UK but are no worse and a lack of familiarity can often tarnish an opinion. But, as a youth I trained as a chef (much to my wifes delight) and exploring different food types and brands is just another adventure and well worth the effort in my books. Better than another ready meal or several day old near rotten veg.
Old Sep 9th 2005, 7:52 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FVC

Thanks

Fi
Never thought I'd say this but... I'd kill for a trip to M&S! I used to buy M&S pants and socks and they would last me a life time much to the annoyance of the wife. Here the local stuff lasts me months not years! They seem to have mastered the art of stitching things together with air!

I also miss Boots, WH Smiths, TGI Fridays (cant believe it either) and even god stike me down for saying it, PC World.
Old Sep 9th 2005, 8:16 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
Never thought I'd say this but... I'd kill for a trip to M&S! I used to buy M&S pants and socks and they would last me a life time much to the annoyance of the wife. Here the local stuff lasts me months not years! They seem to have mastered the art of stitching things together with air!

I also miss Boots, WH Smiths, TGI Fridays (cant believe it either) and even god stike me down for saying it, PC World.
You can shop online at M&S. No, they don't deliver abroad, but they will deliver to any UK address. So just buy your stuff, get it delivered to a friend or relatives house and have them ship it on to you. Simple. Even Mandy Skeggs would approve .
Old Sep 9th 2005, 8:21 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Tescos - second only to Asda for its chav customer base. Got to agree about the ready meals thing. I know they're convenient and all, but god damn they're packed full of shit and mightily expensive. These days we buy the meat and the vegtables as they come and make it ourselves - tastes a bloody sight nicer and costs about half.
Old Sep 9th 2005, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FVC

Thanks

Fi
arghh, does that mean they don't deliver to aus when i do my internet shop!?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.