Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Miner BHP Billiton cuts 2,100 WA jobs!

Wikiposts

Miner BHP Billiton cuts 2,100 WA jobs!

Old Jan 22nd 2009, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Miner BHP Billiton cuts 2,100 WA jobs!

Originally Posted by worzel

The end of the boom is about greed, not by individuals but by huge institutions and the very rich people than run them and the system of remuneration that rewards them for making short term profits over long-term security.
I'm not talking about the end of the economic boom. I'm talking about what I see as the questionable morals of people benefiting - and by that very benefit causing stress to others in such a fundamental area as housing.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Tis funny but the two guys on here who work in the public sector know lots of people with investment properties who are bleating about making losses. Yet I who works in the mining sector, with a large proportion of people who moved to Perth recently has never heard a single person make that complaint.
I don't work in the public sector.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 4:17 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

I know a few average Joes who own rental properties, they, like me, are very sceptical about super and prefer to have a bit of a say in their futures...
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 4:17 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Well I don't know anyone at work with investment properties, the people I know are other parents from the kids school.
Just curious, but are there more poms or Aussies in that position (relative to the total number of those groups). I have a theory that Aussies are bigger risk takers than us poms and will have gambled more.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 4:18 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Come to think of it I don't either.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 4:19 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Just curious, but are there more poms or Aussies in that position (relative to the total number of those groups). I have a theory that Aussies are bigger risk takers than us poms and will have gambled more.
The ones I'm thinking about are Scottish, also another is Australian.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by hevs
Sorry, I was being sarky, but because I find it hard to say what I need to in writing and I get frustrated! if that makes sense....

I get where you are coming from, but we have worked hard and believe me have gone without many things especially in the last two years. I guess I just get a little shitty when people make comments about how wrong it is to have two properties when you don't know anything about them or their circumstances. We have made big sacrifices and will continue to for the foreseeable future, we have struggled to buy this property to make ours and our families future better. It hasn't taken us 5 minutes to get here and will take us much more to get where we need to be, but thats our choice. I won't sit back and pass on this opportunity because I feel sorry for people who can't afford to buy a house (and believe me. I do!) We all have to do what we need to do, its the way of the world for some to have more than others, but don't assume its ALWAYS easy for someone to appear have more...
And I can see where you're coming from.

I suppose in the end it's the system which is at fault. Someone once asked on here if you would be allowed to distort the market for basic necessities such as bread and milk as you are for housing - pretty perceptive I thought.

I think you probably needed to have been in Perth to witness the very extremes of greed - I've never seen anything like the last few years.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 4:20 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

My bad. You are a teacher from memory. I was just trying to encapsulate those of you who work in "steady" jobs that are not especially affected by the strength of the economy versus those of us in industry that are more prone to the whims of the market.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 4:22 pm
(It's not my real name)

Originally Posted by hevs
I know a few average Joes who own rental properties, they, like me, are very sceptical about super and prefer to have a bit of a say in their futures...
Even if I could afford it I wouldn't ever have an investment property, it was stressful enough renting my house out in the UK for the first three years dealing with tennants who don't pay rent, plumbers pretending the drains had collapsed etc...

In fact, at the height of the boom a lot of investment property (mainly flats) was kept empty so as not to have the tiresome bother of dealing with tennants whilst the property continued its upward march of capital gain.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

My bad. You are a teacher from memory. I was just trying to encapsulate those of you who work in "steady" jobs that are not especially affected by the strength of the economy versus those of us in industry that are more prone to the whims of the market.
I am, but in the private sector - and, I suspect, relatively well-paid.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 4:23 pm
(It's not my real name)

I've never seen anything like the last few years.
With any luck we'll see less bogans on jetskis
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 4:27 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

I think you probably needed to have been in Perth to witness the very extremes of greed - I've never seen anything like the last few years.
Thats actually a well made point! I think the growth in the part of Melbourne that we live is has been steady and we haven't really been a part of whats been happening overthere.

One of my oldest friends bought a fibro house in Geraldton when her and her hubby split up, she was easily able to afford it. They are back together now and the property is rented out, she says its criminal how much more she would get for it now if she were to sell it, and that she would never afford the mortgage on it if she were to buy it now. I saw the house

Our house has only gained $100K in 5 years and we have really renovated it. Thats not a brag BTW, just to give you some idea. Its a steady rise and thats why I think that Melbourne (or areas of it) won't feel it half as badly as a lot of areas.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 4:27 pm
High in the Dandenongs

With any luck we'll see less bogans on jetskis
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 4:30 pm
High in the Dandenongs

Even if I could afford it I wouldn't ever have an investment property, it was stressful enough renting my house out in the UK for the first three years dealing with tennants who don't pay rent, plumbers pretending the drains had collapsed etc...

In fact, at the height of the boom a lot of investment property (mainly flats) was kept empty so as not to have the tiresome bother of dealing with tennants whilst the property continued its upward march of capital gain.
Thats exactly my point. It isn't easy! But people still say you're greedy!

But, at the end of the day, its still mine to do with what I want when I want (in terms of selling, renting, leaving, holidaying or using it for equity etc etc)
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 4:30 pm
A former regular of BE

Someone once asked on here if you would be allowed to distort the market for basic necessities such as bread and milk as you are for housing - pretty perceptive I thought.
Does that not happen? In your time in Perth you will have seen petrol go from under $1/litre to over $1.60 to back below $1.

We have seen bananas and lettuce prices skyrocket that I can remember too.

I think even bread and milk prices are at the free will of the market.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.