Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Miner BHP Billiton cuts 2,100 WA jobs!

Miner BHP Billiton cuts 2,100 WA jobs!

Old Jan 20th 2009, 11:31 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Miner BHP Billiton cuts 2,100 WA jobs!

Ouch! BHP has been very quiet while Rio has been openly suffering.

http://www.news.com.au/business/stor...-31037,00.html
Old Jan 20th 2009, 11:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

RCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud of
Default Re: Miner BHP Billiton cuts 2,100 WA jobs!

Originally Posted by bcworld
Ouch! BHP has been very quiet while Rio has been openly suffering.

http://www.news.com.au/business/stor...-31037,00.html
Yahoo news story here: http://au.biz.yahoo.com/090120/2/244lm.html
Old Jan 21st 2009, 1:56 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

That has been suspected for quite a while. What still surprises everyone is that their iron ore mining does not seem to be affected - per the official announcements anyway. They are still claiming their Rapid Growth Project 5 is going ahead despite everyone else reducing operations. If they do a Rio-scale announcement there will be well over 10,000 staff, contractors and subbies affected.

I spoke to someone I used to work with (Rio) this morning and her division has lost over half of its jobs with just a week to get out the door, although they are getting reasonable severance packages. The woman I spoke to has lost 3 of her 4 staff, including a good mate of mine who just had his second baby in 18 months. Very sad.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 2:02 am
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

My friend has just rung me this morning, Her husband has just been laid off and the mine closed down in Ravensthorpe.

This is the second time in 2 months and they are on a 457 visa !

Nicky
Old Jan 21st 2009, 2:03 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

This is all happening very fast. If you had predicted this, even 6 months ago you would have been told you were insane.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 2:12 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
That has been suspected for quite a while. What still surprises everyone is that their iron ore mining does not seem to be affected - per the official announcements anyway. They are still claiming their Rapid Growth Project 5 is going ahead despite everyone else reducing operations. If they do a Rio-scale announcement there will be well over 10,000 staff, contractors and subbies affected.

I spoke to someone I used to work with (Rio) this morning and her division has lost over half of its jobs with just a week to get out the door, although they are getting reasonable severance packages. The woman I spoke to has lost 3 of her 4 staff, including a good mate of mine who just had his second baby in 18 months. Very sad.
I just had a look at their ASX announcement this morning which everyone was preciting would show slashed output for the first half of 2009FY. It seems that it has been business as usual and they weren't lying after all!
Old Jan 21st 2009, 2:13 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

The bigger the bubble the bigger the bang when it bursts!
Originally Posted by renth
This is all happening very fast. If you had predicted this, even 6 months ago you would have been told you were insane.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 2:30 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
I just had a look at their ASX announcement this morning which everyone was preciting would show slashed output for the first half of 2009FY. It seems that it has been business as usual and they weren't lying after all!
As far as I can gather (and this is from public info), their contracts have been hit as hard as Rio's. But while Rio has scaled back production, BHP has sold its surplus on the spot market at no profit or possibly even a loss. That either suggests they believe this is a blip or, as I suspect, they are trying to make themselves look better than Rio in order to make their share price look better than ours and push us into selling up to them.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 2:32 am
A former regular of BE

Originally Posted by renth
Maybe not 6 months ago but I was predicting a couple of months ago that Australia wouldn't be immune and that when it happened WA would be one of the hardest hit areas due to the reliance on the resources sector.

America stops buying => China stops manufacturing => China stops buying raw materials. It is very basic really.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 2:33 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I can gather (and this is from public info), their contracts have been hit as hard as Rio's. But while Rio has scaled back production, BHP has sold its surplus on the spot market at no profit or possibly even a loss. That either suggests they believe this is a blip or, as I suspect, they are trying to make themselves look better than Rio in order to make their share price look better than ours and push us into selling up to them.
I don't think BHP will be looking at Rio again until Rio has done something about its US$40b debt problem. Who wants to be taking on that kind of burden at this time?
Old Jan 21st 2009, 2:36 am
Frequent Flyer Member

America stops buying => China stops manufacturing => China stops buying raw materials. It is very basic really.
Some people used to say though that China was urbanising, and that their export industry was only a part of the story. That's fair enough as well, because if any country has the cash to plough into infrastructure it's probably China.

The missing part though was the now millions of Chinese who have been laid off from factories, they are now heading back, unable to find work, to the rural areas they came from, so the urbanisation story falls down.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 2:39 am
A former regular of BE

I don't think BHP will be looking at Rio again until Rio has done something about its US$40b debt problem. Who wants to be taking on that kind of burden at this time?
Maybe not the whole company but they know Rio needs to raise $10Bn this year to service debt and needs to sell some large businesses / mines to do that. The Pilbara is the one it wants and if Rio sells that you know we got really desperate.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 2:39 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting - I saw a news clip on the The Age today stating that a bank (UBS) was saying that BHP may make a fresh bid for Rio. How conveniently announced.

I think there should be a ban on positive rumourage as well as negative!

http://business.theage.com.au/busine...0121-7luw.html
Old Jan 21st 2009, 2:41 am
A former regular of BE

Some people used to say though that China was urbanising, and that their export industry was only a part of the story. That's fair enough as well, because if any country has the cash to plough into infrastructure it's probably China.

The missing part though was the now millions of Chinese who have been laid off from factories, they are now heading back, unable to find work, to the rural areas they came from, so the urbanisation story falls down.
I remember the CEO of Rio stating that only a tiny proportion of China's GDP was for internal use. But it doesn't take much to start a chain reaction of job losses and confidence hits, as you say.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 2:42 am
BE Enthusiast

TheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really nice

Now is definitely the time to be making sure you have a good skill set that's in demand. A lot of mines that have been short staffed for years are soaking up the skilled unemployed to fill their vacancies.

I'm just glad I'm working in the coal sector and I'm trying to move to a mine that produces mainly thermal coal as this is possibly the only area which isn't closing mines (as far as I know). Thank god people are still sucking up power.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.