Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Miner BHP Billiton cuts 2,100 WA jobs!

Miner BHP Billiton cuts 2,100 WA jobs!

Old Jan 22nd 2009, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

northernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to all
Default Re: Miner BHP Billiton cuts 2,100 WA jobs!

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
This is why i struggle with sympathy. I do feel for individual families but the arrogance of many West Australians has been astounding.
I was reading an article in The Australian today about a family affected by the closure of the big mine in Ravensthorpe.
I was just feeling sorry for them when I read that they had two properties. TWO PROPERTIES? Sympathy went out of the window.......
I saw some of the Ravensthorpe ex employees on the News yesterday, after being told they had lost their jobs at Perth airport. I don’t want to sound like a bigot/prejudice but they all came across and looked like as a bunch of bogans! One guy was fretting because he had just bought an investment property and had lost his job.

Who was it who said, we everyone gets greedy, get scared and when everyone gets scared, get greedy...?
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 10:01 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

[
Who was it who said, we everyone gets greedy, get scared and when everyone gets scared, get greedy...?[/QUOTE]

Yeah he,s the guy who,s doing 15 years for insider trading....mm
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 10:08 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Just got back to Adelaide , been in Broken hill for Two days packing up a BHP job for Olympic Dam mine , {gold ,uranium, silver ,} going big time , its, just Nickle, lead, and zinc thats having a hard time .......mm
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 10:41 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr mover
Just got back to Adelaide , been in Broken hill for Two days packing up a BHP job for Olympic Dam mine , {gold ,uranium, silver ,} going big time , its, just Nickle, lead, and zinc thats having a hard time .......mm
BHP were laying off lots of jobs at Olympic Dam I read.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 10:46 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
This is why i struggle with sympathy. I do feel for individual families but the arrogance of many West Australians has been astounding.
I was reading an article in The Australian today about a family affected by the closure of the big mine in Ravensthorpe.
I was just feeling sorry for them when I read that they had two properties. TWO PROPERTIES? Sympathy went out of the window.......
There is something about the Australian psyche. It probably dates to the old days when you were either lucky or dead. They like to take a risk. For every Andrew Forrest there are 10 bankrupts. And of course, the tax breaks on investment property make it a tempting proposition. I thought about it for a while but (wisely) decided buying at the top of the market was not a good idea.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 10:51 am
Banned

Originally Posted by worzel
BHP were laying off lots of jobs at Olympic Dam I read.
Miners only , short term , the people they are bringing in ,our involved with the maintenance, and concerned with the open pit expansion,... lack of sales cut back on the people who dig it up .....simple........mm
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 11:06 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

... where's Amazulu ...
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 11:12 am
A former regular of BE

Originally Posted by mr mover
Miners only , short term , the people they are bringing in ,our involved with the maintenance, and concerned with the open pit expansion,... lack of sales cut back on the people who dig it up .....simple........mm
200 of them. Miners or not, short-term or not I am sure they are not sleeping soundly tonight.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 11:33 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Hutch
... where's Amazulu ...
Strangely quiet isn't he?
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 11:37 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
Strangely quiet isn't he?
I know - I wanted an update on the projects mentioned in this thread...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ght=fmg&page=2
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 2:06 pm
_

Kalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond repute

... where's Amazulu ...
Yep I blame it all on Amazulu's absence. Seems like when he's not around with his healthy doses of optimism then everything starts falling apart
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 6:53 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by worzel
200 of them. Miners or not, short-term or not I am sure they are not sleeping soundly tonight.
Miners are moving all the time ,especially hard rock miners, Kal-Mt Isa-Roxby - Broken hill it never ends Keeps me in a job..............mm
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 8:35 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

... where's Amazulu ...
Holiday in Malaysia
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really nice

I've been told that more job cuts are being announced in my company atm, they're busy consolidating workshops etc and closing those that are too small and not cost effective.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 9:39 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

I'm very curious as to where this is all going.

My husband is a mining engineer but he works with a company that is not in production at all, they are just in the planning stages (oil shale). It seems like they will just continue on.... the owners are just two really rich brothers who are seeing this as in investment for the future.

They continued on despite Anna Bligh putting a 20 year ban on one of their sites. So things still seem ok, although there is nothing stopping them from throwing the towel in.

Although I must say after the Anna Bligh decision the compay was worried about all the staff leaving so they promised everyone 3 months salary if they were made redundent. Which is good because my husbands only been there a year. Only time will tell I guess!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.