Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Migrants, my house is absolutely freezing...

Migrants, my house is absolutely freezing...

Old May 29th 2006, 10:10 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Migrants, my house is absolutely freezing...

Originally Posted by Pomster
we are lovely and toasty- maybe because Melbourne is one of the colder states

Ours is a double brick house, with underfloor heating, and at the moment we have a real log fire roaring away. Hmmmmm......

Underfloor heating does have a disadvantage- the cat tends to lay in the warm patches, so you have to be careful before stepping, as he particularly likes doorways.
Had a house with UF heating and a catflap once - each night the kitchen floor was awash with all the neighbourhood moggies stretched out! Used to be quite funny if you switched on the light - several dozen scrabbling to get out of the catflap at the same time!
Old May 29th 2006, 10:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
When I was growing up in the UK we did not have central heating either.

We had 10mins with a fan heater to get dressed in the morning. This was before my paper round.

I didn't get central heating until I left home.

Now I am happy with 17 degrees.

http://videowombat.blogspot.com/2006...en-sketch.html

OzTennis
Old May 29th 2006, 12:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis

Bloody brilliant lad...... that show was even older than I can remember.

Old May 29th 2006, 2:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Bloody brilliant lad...... that show was even older than I can remember.

Paradise, we were so poor I can't even remember as far back as you!

OzTennis
Old May 29th 2006, 2:38 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Well our house (double brick and insulated) is not to bad 17.7 deg c 2nite in here , so just feels a little chilly will go buy a coulpe of heaters this week i think .
Old May 29th 2006, 11:24 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I've got to admit the transition from Summer to Winter in Melbourne this year was as stark a change as I''ve seen in my time here.
I'm agreeing with you far too often of late But it feels really really chilly at night this year.
Old May 29th 2006, 11:40 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
Double glazing doesn't do anything much - it's a con. Double the insulation in your roof and then feel the benefit.
I beg to differ. We had to replace our rotten windows so did a heap of research first http://www.wers.net/ The three front windows that we didn't need to replace are still 3ml (LMAO!!) glass and run with condension in the morning. I just know the curtains are going to go mouldy. The double glazing windows are dry and the rooms hold way more heat that the front ones. The front rooms have loft insulation, the back don't because the roof on there is tin. So maybe a combination of both would work better. Oh and underfloor insulation too.....
Old May 30th 2006, 2:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
The double glazing windows are dry and the rooms hold way more heat that the front ones.
I haven't read the advise, but some Aussies look at you like you are mad if you want double glazing - even the money won't budge them.

One builder told me the sun rays would not heat up the house quickly enough. He may be right in this aspect of course, but on balance I'd rather keep the heat I am paying for inside in the first place
Old May 30th 2006, 2:38 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
That's my house!

Hi yes ours too - we had our roof insulated a couple of months ago and it has made a BIG difference this year
Old May 30th 2006, 2:39 am
High in the Dandenongs

I haven't read the advise, but some Aussies look at you like you are mad if you want double glazing - even the money won't budge them.
What? Even an Aussie double glazing supplier
Old May 30th 2006, 2:41 am
High in the Dandenongs

One builder told me the sun rays would not heat up the house quickly enough. He may be right in this aspect of course, but on balance I'd rather keep the heat I am paying for inside in the first place
All well and good if it is indeed sunny! If its not, then like you say, far better to keep the heat in. On the flip side think of the summer sun on thse north facing windows
Old May 30th 2006, 2:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

All well and good if it is indeed sunny! If its not, then like you say, far better to keep the heat in. On the flip side think of the summer sun on thse north facing windows
Indeed. On balance, we will probably never go for them.

The sun at its highest, and in the afternoon at it's 'hottest' hits the back of the house - it sort of comes in from the NW. I've checked and the house faces W/E.

One of the things I've told Chief is that we are going to make a note of where sunrise/set is on the soltices and equinoxes because I can never remember exactly where it will be.

We got to 50 odd on the back deck on that 40odd day. Luckily the pool was only 30..
Old May 30th 2006, 4:17 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by OzTennis

LOL that was brilliant...

Reminds me of some of the threads on this forum from time to time actually!!
Old Jun 1st 2006, 5:14 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I beg to differ. We had to replace our rotten windows so did a heap of research first http://www.wers.net/ The three front windows that we didn't need to replace are still 3ml (LMAO!!) glass and run with condension in the morning. I just know the curtains are going to go mouldy. The double glazing windows are dry and the rooms hold way more heat that the front ones. The front rooms have loft insulation, the back don't because the roof on there is tin. So maybe a combination of both would work better. Oh and underfloor insulation too.....
Double glazing doesn't save money IMO in the long run, since you have to replace the units every 15 years or so 9those on the equator side, anyway). But it does make the house a lot cosier and more "solid" as well as stopping the consensation.
Old Jun 1st 2006, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

OK, now you made me feel guilty.

I promise tonight that to keep warm like the rest of you, I will:
  • Put some sandals and a shirt on,
  • Turn the ceiling fan off,
  • Find a topsheet to pull up,
  • Close all the windows.

Now I know why I like Cairns at this time of the year.
These 20ºC min and 27ºC max days are just sooooo hard to take.

WW

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.