Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne Winter Weather?

Melbourne Winter Weather?

Old Jun 30th 2010, 9:46 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Melbourne Winter Weather?

Not bad winter in melbourne (Lake Mountain about 2 hour drive North East of Melbourne)
Attached Thumbnails Melbourne Winter Weather?-022.jpg   Melbourne Winter Weather?-026.jpg   Melbourne Winter Weather?-034.jpg  

Last edited by Margaret3; Jun 30th 2010 at 9:49 am.
Old Jun 30th 2010, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all

Originally Posted by DownUnderPaddy
Boy, with the weather we have had in the last week, I will definately say it is some of the coldest/wettest start of Winter weather we have seen in our 8 years here.

The papers agree !
Wettest Melbourne June in 9 years
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/go...0630-zmdh.html
Coldest Sydney morning for more than 60 years
http://www.smh.com.au/environment/sy...0630-zk4a.html
Yep, Certainly the coldest for me in 5 years... Especially in the house
Seems to be throught the whole south of the country as well
Old Jun 30th 2010, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Oh how I miss the extra 20 mins to release the ice to simply get into my car

I really don't find Melbourne weather a problem I want it to be colder so more snow falls and if it doesnt I just fly too Queenstown. See life is simple
And if you really need warmth there is noosa
Monday morning, I did actually have to scrape my car windscreen to get out and about in Geelong........I missed my heated windscreen!

Due to knackered knees, I am more than happy to escape the snow though!!
Old Jun 30th 2010, 1:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LiseM
Fair enough. Not having a car myself, I've found outside of summer, the weather can be all over the place on certain days - which Melbourne is renowned for. I've headed out in sunshine & barely any clouds some days, only hours later to be trudging around with my shopping in a downpour.
I've also felt too hot some mornings & headed off in just a tshirt - only to be cold later in the day & cursing my foolishness!
Your location says you're still in London.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 10:27 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

There you go,....Melbournes longest cold snap in 14 years.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/me...0702-zsh3.html
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 10:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

There you go,....Melbournes longest cold snap in 14 years.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/me...0702-zsh3.html
That's the closest it's been to UK winter weather yet still warmer. It's relative.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 11:03 am
ABCDiamond

Boy, with the weather we have had in the last week, I will definately say it is some of the coldest/wettest start of Winter weather we have seen in our 8 years here.

The papers agree !
Wettest Melbourne June in 9 years
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/go...0630-zmdh.html
http://www.smh.com.au/environment/sy...0630-zk4a.html
Sydney's week of cold weather continues, with the city recording its coldest June morning since 1949 when temperatures dived to 4.3 degrees.
But out in Western Sydney they get the real cold weather:
Richmond again got below freezing point, recording -4.8 degrees, its coldest morning since 1992.

Other western Sydney suburbs dropped below zero, including Penrith which rose to just 0.1 degrees at 8am.

Old Jul 2nd 2010, 11:05 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
That's the closest it's been to UK winter weather yet still warmer. It's relative.
Freezing Point has been moved....

spare a thought for the Melbourne of 1894, whose residents suffered a freezing 21 consecutive days under 13 degrees

Old Jul 2nd 2010, 10:34 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
I saw water in its solid form being removed from a windscreen this morning...and not out in the hills somewhere, but in Camberwell.
Ice on our windscreen 4 times in the last 2 weeks.Bastard cold it is bbbrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Old Jul 17th 2010, 2:58 am
Just Joined

louise123 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been in Melbourne 2 weeks now and I have to admit I wasn't very prepared for the weather!
That said, I was just coming from a heatwave in the UK and I have climatised since I've got here but I can't wait for spring/summer to arrive

I understand how it is difficult to explain/expect certain types of weather now as well as it can be warm but turn freezing cold within a few minutes/hours so you really do need to be prepared for all kinds of weather, I am really enjoying the bright sunny days though and it is nowhere near as cold as it would be in the UK at this time of the year in winter.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 5:26 am
Forum Regular

29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all

Originally Posted by louise123
I've been in Melbourne 2 weeks now and I have to admit I wasn't very prepared for the weather!
That said, I was just coming from a heatwave in the UK and I have climatised since I've got here but I can't wait for spring/summer to arrive

I understand how it is difficult to explain/expect certain types of weather now as well as it can be warm but turn freezing cold within a few minutes/hours so you really do need to be prepared for all kinds of weather, I am really enjoying the bright sunny days though and it is nowhere near as cold as it would be in the UK at this time of the year in winter.
Welcome to Melbourne Louise!~

If you think you have come from a heatwave in the uk wait til summer here!!
Old Jul 17th 2010, 5:29 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 29palms
Welcome to Melbourne Louise!~

If you think you have come from a heatwave in the uk wait til summer here!!
I think Shakmaty's appraisal of Melbourne weather -

"England plus 10 degrees"

is very accurate.

To that I would add a lot more sunshine, all times of year.

BB
Old Jul 17th 2010, 9:04 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
I think Shakmaty's appraisal of Melbourne weather -

"England plus 10 degrees"

is very accurate.

To that I would add a lot more sunshine, all times of year.

BB
Spot on
Old Jul 18th 2010, 4:42 am
Just Joined

anatolie is an unknown quantity at this point

Weather forecast and temperatures are misleading when you are comparing Melbourne with Sydney or the UK. Melbourne is as bleak and gloomy as almost the UK in my opinion, especially after living in Queensland and Sydney, it was unbearable. Probably simply because of lack of central heating etc. The place looks really sad in winter. If it is 12 degrees max in Melbourne during the day, it means it will reach 12 degrees for half an hour or 1 hour then 5-6 degrees the rest of the day and windy! If 17 degrees that same day in Sydney, it means it will be 17 at least for a good six hours during the day.

So don't be misled by those Melbourne temperatures, the place is freezing in winter, especially in the mornings, my God!

I remember taking a flight from Brisbane to Melbourne in the middle of winter. It was all nice and sunny, green subtropical trees, people wearing shorts and all colorful in Queensland. I got to Melbourne Airport, everyone wearing dark colors- navy or black, coats, jackets and all that, a typical cold and rainy winter day in Melbourne. So depressing it was.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 5:05 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anatolie
Weather forecast and temperatures are misleading when you are comparing Melbourne with Sydney or the UK. Melbourne is as bleak and gloomy as almost the UK in my opinion, especially after living in Queensland and Sydney, it was unbearable. Probably simply because of lack of central heating etc. The place looks really sad in winter. If it is 12 degrees max in Melbourne during the day, it means it will reach 12 degrees for half an hour or 1 hour then 5-6 degrees the rest of the day and windy! If 17 degrees that same day in Sydney, it means it will be 17 at least for a good six hours during the day.

So don't be misled by those Melbourne temperatures, the place is freezing in winter, especially in the mornings, my God!

I remember taking a flight from Brisbane to Melbourne in the middle of winter. It was all nice and sunny, green subtropical trees, people wearing shorts and all colorful in Queensland. I got to Melbourne Airport, everyone wearing dark colors- navy or black, coats, jackets and all that, a typical cold and rainy winter day in Melbourne. So depressing it was.
That's nonsense - 5-6 degrees for most of the day!!! It is cold when I leave in the morning (7am) but by the time I nip out for a coffee at 10am and when I walk home around 4pm, I'm mostly OK in a shirt or light cardi. And I think I've used a brolly about twice so far this winter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.