Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne Winter Weather?

Melbourne Winter Weather?

Old Jun 22nd 2010, 10:38 am
Just Joined

louise123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Melbourne Winter Weather?

I'm heading to Melbourne next week from the UK (can't wait ). I'll be there for 6 months and wondered how cold the winters actually are when compared to the UK.
Do you think I'll actually find it very cold - any recommendations for what to wear - thick coat? lots of layers or could I get away with wearing a few layers?
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 10:42 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne Winter Weather?

Originally Posted by louise123
I'm heading to Melbourne next week from the UK (can't wait ). I'll be there for 6 months and wondered how cold the winters actually are when compared to the UK.
Do you think I'll actually find it very cold - any recommendations for what to wear - thick coat? lots of layers or could I get away with wearing a few layers?
Coming from the uk (we came from Ireland) you will find a Melbourne winter quite mild by comparison to a UK one.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

It was 3.5C today and in some places close to 0 degrees
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

It's bloody freezing here right now
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 10:51 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

A few layers? 2 is enough I think!

The week ahead:
Attached Thumbnails Melbourne Winter Weather?-week.png  
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 11:03 am
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

The thing with Melbourne is that it's so very changeable. People are right in that generally it is a bit milder than here, but even so, you will need your jumpers, fleeces, coats, umbrellas....

Enjoy, we'll be following you along soon
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 11:03 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IndieG
It was 3.5C today and in some places close to 0 degrees
If you ever lived in the UK/Ireland for a Winter, you would realise that those temps are practically balmy by comparison

Louise, you can ref the Melbourne Obs for the temps in context for the Melb City weather station @ the following BOM site...
http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDV60...01.94868.shtml

For us Euro blowins, its really very, very mild indeed.
Unfortunately, after 8 years here, I have now acclimatised and believe if I ever had to go back to Ireland and spend a winter there, I would probably not survive it
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 11:09 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Melbourne Winter Weather?

Originally Posted by DownUnderPaddy
Unfortunately, after 8 years here, I have now acclimatised and believe if I ever had to go back to Ireland and spend a winter there, I would probably not survive it
This is the big problem. Temperature is pretty subjective - in other words what might be warm to an Eskimo would be freezing to an African. Today in Melbourne was 4 degrees when I started the car to go to work at 6:15am and 15 degrees when I picked the kids up at 4pm. 15 degrees is a warm spring day in the UK - here I was standing with the other parents waiting for the kids to finish kindy and we were all wishing the kids would hurry up so we could get in a nice warm car!

BB
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 11:13 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I saw water in its solid form being removed from a windscreen this morning...and not out in the hills somewhere, but in Camberwell.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 11:15 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
This is the big problem. Temperature is pretty subjective - in other words what might be warm to an Eskimo would be freezing to an African. Today in Melbourne was 4 degrees when I started the car to go to work at 6:15am and 15 degrees when I picked the kids up at 4pm. 15 degrees is a warm spring day in the UK - here I was standing with the other parents waiting for the kids to finish kindy and we were all wishing the kids would hurry up so we could get in a nice warm car!

BB
Exackery ! My money is on Louise (being fresh off the boat so to speak) with a frame of reference of UK winters, finding a Melby winter quite pleasant by comparison.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 11:17 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by DownUnderPaddy
Exackery ! My money is on Louise (being fresh off the boat so to speak) with a frame of reference of UK winters, finding a Melby winter quite pleasant by comparison.
I'm not so sure...I reckon although people know it's winter, they still might come subconsiously expecting it to be kinda warm - which it sometimes is I suppose - and get a shock.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 11:22 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Melbourne Winter Weather?

Originally Posted by bcworld
I'm not so sure...I reckon although people know it's winter, they still might come subconsiously expecting it to be kinda warm - which it sometimes is I suppose - and get a shock.
Mate, we arrived in July, and we loved the weather! Mainly I suppose because it was so sunny, unlike UK winters which can be a bit grey and are always dark!

I still love winter because it reminds me of when we first arrived and everything was so new and exciting. Now it's just old and exciting (a bit like me.....)

BB
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 11:24 am
Frequent Flyer Member

...talking of the weather, here's a very strange photo my OH took in yesterday's fog - Eureka!
Attached Thumbnails Melbourne Winter Weather?-eureka.jpg  
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 11:54 am
Just Joined

louise123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the advice, I'm guessing I won't find it too cold except for in the mornings/at night which I can cope with
After having a winter in the UK where temperatures were getting down to -5 it probably won't compare in Melbourne and I think it was less than 15 degrees here the other day anyway
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

layla950 will become famous soon enoughlayla950 will become famous soon enough

We are heading to Melbourne too, but decided to drive down from Cairns. We arrived on Sunday, bought our camper today and has been a lovely 27 today. A wee shower last night but glorious. No flies , no mossies, just beautiful. I could just stay put if we could find work here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.