British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Melbourne Winter Weather? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/melbourne-winter-weather-673465/)

louise123 Jun 22nd 2010 10:38 am

Melbourne Winter Weather?

I'm heading to Melbourne next week from the UK (can't wait :D). I'll be there for 6 months and wondered how cold the winters actually are when compared to the UK.
Do you think I'll actually find it very cold - any recommendations for what to wear - thick coat? lots of layers or could I get away with wearing a few layers?

DownUnderPaddy Jun 22nd 2010 10:42 am

Re: Melbourne Winter Weather?

Originally Posted by louise123 (Post 8648385)
I'm heading to Melbourne next week from the UK (can't wait :D). I'll be there for 6 months and wondered how cold the winters actually are when compared to the UK.
Do you think I'll actually find it very cold - any recommendations for what to wear - thick coat? lots of layers or could I get away with wearing a few layers?

Coming from the uk (we came from Ireland) you will find a Melbourne winter quite mild by comparison to a UK one.

IndieG Jun 22nd 2010 10:42 am

It was 3.5C today and in some places close to 0 degrees:D

Deutschmaster Jun 22nd 2010 10:46 am

It's bloody freezing here right now

bcworld Jun 22nd 2010 10:51 am

1 Attachment(s)

A few layers? 2 is enough I think!

The week ahead:

JenniGee Jun 22nd 2010 11:03 am

The thing with Melbourne is that it's so very changeable. People are right in that generally it is a bit milder than here, but even so, you will need your jumpers, fleeces, coats, umbrellas....

Enjoy, we'll be following you along soon :)

DownUnderPaddy Jun 22nd 2010 11:03 am

Originally Posted by IndieG (Post 8648395)
It was 3.5C today and in some places close to 0 degrees:D

If you ever lived in the UK/Ireland for a Winter, you would realise that those temps are practically balmy by comparison :D

Louise, you can ref the Melbourne Obs for the temps in context for the Melb City weather station @ the following BOM site...
http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDV60...01.94868.shtml

For us Euro blowins, its really very, very mild indeed.
Unfortunately, after 8 years here, I have now acclimatised and believe if I ever had to go back to Ireland and spend a winter there, I would probably not survive it :ohmy:

Buzzy--Bee Jun 22nd 2010 11:09 am

Originally Posted by DownUnderPaddy (Post 8648442)
Unfortunately, after 8 years here, I have now acclimatised and believe if I ever had to go back to Ireland and spend a winter there, I would probably not survive it :ohmy:

This is the big problem. Temperature is pretty subjective - in other words what might be warm to an Eskimo would be freezing to an African. Today in Melbourne was 4 degrees when I started the car to go to work at 6:15am and 15 degrees when I picked the kids up at 4pm. 15 degrees is a warm spring day in the UK - here I was standing with the other parents waiting for the kids to finish kindy and we were all wishing the kids would hurry up so we could get in a nice warm car!

BB

bcworld Jun 22nd 2010 11:13 am

I saw water in its solid form being removed from a windscreen this morning...and not out in the hills somewhere, but in Camberwell.

DownUnderPaddy Jun 22nd 2010 11:15 am

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee (Post 8648455)
This is the big problem. Temperature is pretty subjective - in other words what might be warm to an Eskimo would be freezing to an African. Today in Melbourne was 4 degrees when I started the car to go to work at 6:15am and 15 degrees when I picked the kids up at 4pm. 15 degrees is a warm spring day in the UK - here I was standing with the other parents waiting for the kids to finish kindy and we were all wishing the kids would hurry up so we could get in a nice warm car!

BB

Exackery ! My money is on Louise (being fresh off the boat so to speak) with a frame of reference of UK winters, finding a Melby winter quite pleasant by comparison.

bcworld Jun 22nd 2010 11:17 am

Originally Posted by DownUnderPaddy (Post 8648468)
Exackery ! My money is on Louise (being fresh off the boat so to speak) with a frame of reference of UK winters, finding a Melby winter quite pleasant by comparison.

I'm not so sure...I reckon although people know it's winter, they still might come subconsiously expecting it to be kinda warm - which it sometimes is I suppose - and get a shock.

Buzzy--Bee Jun 22nd 2010 11:22 am

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 8648476)
I'm not so sure...I reckon although people know it's winter, they still might come subconsiously expecting it to be kinda warm - which it sometimes is I suppose - and get a shock.

Mate, we arrived in July, and we loved the weather! Mainly I suppose because it was so sunny, unlike UK winters which can be a bit grey and are always dark!

I still love winter because it reminds me of when we first arrived and everything was so new and exciting. Now it's just old and exciting (a bit like me.....) :p

BB

bcworld Jun 22nd 2010 11:24 am

1 Attachment(s)
...talking of the weather, here's a very strange photo my OH took in yesterday's fog - Eureka!

louise123 Jun 22nd 2010 11:54 am

Thanks for all the advice, I'm guessing I won't find it too cold except for in the mornings/at night which I can cope with :)
After having a winter in the UK where temperatures were getting down to -5 it probably won't compare in Melbourne and I think it was less than 15 degrees here the other day anyway :lol:

layla950 Jun 22nd 2010 2:08 pm

We are heading to Melbourne too, but decided to drive down from Cairns. We arrived on Sunday, bought our camper today and has been a lovely 27 today. A wee shower last night but glorious. No flies , no mossies, just beautiful. I could just stay put if we could find work here.