Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne or Perth

Melbourne or Perth

Old Sep 21st 2014, 11:02 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne or Perth

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
It's all quite relative In terms of being close to other Oz cities, yes it's isolated here. I suppose that only becomes a problem if you like to visit the cities over east.

I've had long weekends in Melbourne, and long weekends in Bali. The former cost way more than the latter! Busselton, Dunsborough, Margaret River and Eagle Bay are all within comfortable driving distance for a few days break. Well, it's comfortable when I drive because I like the odd pit stop for coffee and stuff. When Scouse drives, it's a thermos, sandwiches and cross your legs, we're going straight through

I do like being relatively close to KL and even Vietnam. Most times though, we travel to the UK and I love the one stop Perth - Dubai - Manchester flight.

I like the Melbourne CBD, Southbank, the direct factory outlets and the variety of restaurants and cafes - I also find eating out in Melbourne cheaper than in Perth. In Perth, I like being on the doorstep of heaps of good wineries, the Mount Lawley café strip, being able to travel down South easily, and the beaches.

Different strokes
Perth has the shortest possible flight time from Australia to the UK (LHR):
EK425/EK003 19hr 40min including stopover in Dubai
Old Sep 21st 2014, 11:05 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
That's the one, Zulu. Love it.
Old Sep 21st 2014, 11:23 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

QR901/QR007...19hr 30mins. Sorry, couldn't help it!
Old Sep 21st 2014, 11:55 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
QR901/QR007...19hr 30mins. Sorry, couldn't help it!
Yes, but who wants to transit through Doha?
Old Sep 21st 2014, 8:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Yes, but who wants to transit through Doha?
What's wrong with Doha? I have transited there a few times.
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 12:29 am
Lost in the antipodes

msmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
What's wrong with Doha? I have transited there a few times.
I personally haven't gone (Emirates usually to the UK), but my friend that flies Qatar Airways frequently says the airport is fine. He did mention that there's a new terminal that opened in the last few years and the previous terminal was bad, maybe that's the reputation?
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 1:08 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by msmyrtle
I personally haven't gone (Emirates usually to the UK), but my friend that flies Qatar Airways frequently says the airport is fine. He did mention that there's a new terminal that opened in the last few years and the previous terminal was bad, maybe that's the reputation?
I think the new airport opened just a few months ago.
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 8:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Only what 4hrs? more than Melb-LA or San Fran. I've hopped across the Pacific in not much more than 15-16. Shorter than I realised in the past.
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 12:26 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I think people are referring to the geographical location though. And it is geographically isolated.
Yes that cant be argued, it is quite literally the arse end of nowhere. Some like it, I dont know why but we are all different. The isolation would definitely not appeal to me in the slightest.
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 12:00 pm
Just Joined

katiebell26 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I have recently analyzed about the cost of living between Melbourne and Perth. Research says Perth is 66% expensive when compared to Melbourne that includes food, transportation, housing and much more. However, Sydney is the most expensive of all!!
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 4:51 pm
Just Joined

smiffy999 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've lived in both. Perth for 10 years and Melbourne for a year.

They are both incredibly different. In my opinion (don't mean to offend anyone and I know not everyone shares my opinion) but Melbourne is a very large dirt city with horrendous traffic. After living in Perth we found the beaches to be very average and not the 'Australia' everyone pictures when they think of life down under. We only stayed a year as it really wasn't for us. And we just found the winter too cold. It reminded us of living in the UK and we didn't move thousands of miles to feel like we were back home.
Perth is much smaller, beautiful beaches, brought blue sky and a much cleaner and safer feel (sorry not everyone will share my opinion of course).
Suburbs to look at would be in the north: Mundarie, Sorrento, Burns Beach. Any suburb west of the train line. Your commute to the city would be approx an hour door to door. There are suburbs closer along the coast but they are more expensive and not necessarily on the train line. South of the river I would look at Applecross, Bicton, Fremantle..in Melbourne we lived in Sandringham, great little beach side town and a train line direct to the city.
Good luck with your decision ☺