Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne or Perth

Melbourne or Perth

Old Sep 21st 2014, 12:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne or Perth

Originally Posted by Amazulu
The level of isolation of Perth is directly linked to the whinginess of the pom
I was born at St Anne's Hospital, Mt Lawley and lived in WA for the first 30 years of my life - Perth to me is isolated. Living back there with my kids, it seemed that a lot of the things available to us on the East coast are much harder on the West. For example, if I want to take the kids to Sydney for a dance workshop, it's an hour on a plane and only a couple of hundred bucks - you can be home before bed time on the same day. Much harder to do those type of things from Perth.
Old Sep 21st 2014, 3:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I don't know that it's true. I'm a single person living on a wage of less than $60k in Perth's northern suburbs and have no problem with my finances. Perth is expensive comparatively, but then wages are also higher.
Disagree wages being much higher. It depends on lifestyle. Paying rent or mortgage or free of that? Like going out or staying at home? Like to travel within Australia or the state expensive. Likewise overseas.
While $60,000 may well be the average income it does not go very far although of course doable.
Old Sep 21st 2014, 3:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hanalou2014
I am liking your views on Perth, it sounds like " the Australian adventure" we were looking for but I'm hearing that it is extremely expenisive? Is this true?
I believe it's been rated the eighth most expensive city. Yes I do find it expensive. As do friends coming to stay from Switzerland and Germany.
Wages are higher in certain areas but from all and it greatly depends on your circumstances.

Housing is very over valued, while may suite oldsters who can cash in, hardly fair on first home buyers. Rents have declined a little though and a lot more available than a year or so back.

Perth is perhaps the most suburban city with a sprawl to match in the world. Suites some while not others.
Meanwhile the State of WA has far more to offer in my view. A very large area and hardly cheap to visit but has some magic locations.

It is for the OP to decide if they are more at home in a urban environment then Melbourne, or suburban one then Perth.
A very individual thing and both have pro and cons.
Old Sep 21st 2014, 3:39 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
I was born at St Anne's Hospital, Mt Lawley and lived in WA for the first 30 years of my life - Perth to me is isolated. Living back there with my kids, it seemed that a lot of the things available to us on the East coast are much harder on the West. For example, if I want to take the kids to Sydney for a dance workshop, it's an hour on a plane and only a couple of hundred bucks - you can be home before bed time on the same day. Much harder to do those type of things from Perth.
Isolation is a state of mind
Old Sep 21st 2014, 3:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The level of isolation of Perth is directly linked to the whinginess of the pom
Hardly Pom unique. Aussie kids relocating to East Coast in some number among people we know. Most likely not to return. Three inside eighteen months just to Melbourne.

Even well travelled Aussies find Perth hit and miss.
Old Sep 21st 2014, 3:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No in the case of WA it is a reality.
Old Sep 21st 2014, 4:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Hehe, as you've said before - but the reality is, it's much less isolating for my family and I to do the things we want to do living on the East coast. So many more opportunities for young people in the eastern states. And you know what I really noticed about last time I was living in Perth in 2008, the divide between the people doing well and the not doing so well has become gaping.
Old Sep 21st 2014, 4:40 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Hardly Pom unique. Aussie kids relocating to East Coast in some number among people we know. Most likely not to return. Three inside eighteen months just to Melbourne.

Even well travelled Aussies find Perth hit and miss.
People moving around for work/opportunities/fun, who'd a thunk it?

My neighbour's daughter moved to Melbourne a few years ago for work. She recently moved back to Perth
My other neighbour's children all moved to other parts of the world/Australia. Some stayed there, others moved back to WA

All part of the ebb and flow of life
Old Sep 21st 2014, 4:48 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by the troubadour
No in the case of WA it is a reality.

Isolated from what? WA is closer to SE Asia and flying times to Europe are less. We are going to Singapore on Saturday - flight time of 5hrs. From Sydney it's over 8hrs. In this instance, Sydney is more isolated

As usual, it's whatever you want it to be
Old Sep 21st 2014, 5:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Isolated from what? WA is closer to SE Asia and flying times to Europe are less. We are going to Singapore on Saturday - flight time of 5hrs. From Sydney it's over 8hrs. In this instance, Sydney is more isolated

As usual, it's whatever you want it to be
For instance, kids can go away to study in other states and be home more quickly than the train and bus ride from Perth city to Helena Valley. So they can come home every weekend if they want instead of just on longer holidays.
Old Sep 21st 2014, 5:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I think people are referring to the geographical location though. And it is geographically isolated.
Old Sep 21st 2014, 7:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I think people are referring to the geographical location though. And it is geographically isolated.
Which is why I don't get it. I live in Brisbane and have been to Sydney a few times for work, then back to home. Been to the Sunny coast for a day like x 2 , Goldie a few times, but always back home. So I tend to stick to where I live. I can't see Perth being any different to my lifestyle if I lived there. Is it really that small and isolated!

Maybe I should visit sometime, but it's long flight...
Old Sep 21st 2014, 10:14 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Which is why I don't get it. I live in Brisbane and have been to Sydney a few times for work, then back to home. Been to the Sunny coast for a day like x 2 , Goldie a few times, but always back home. So I tend to stick to where I live. I can't see Perth being any different to my lifestyle if I lived there. Is it really that small and isolated!

Maybe I should visit sometime, but it's long flight...
It's all quite relative In terms of being close to other Oz cities, yes it's isolated here. I suppose that only becomes a problem if you like to visit the cities over east.

I've had long weekends in Melbourne, and long weekends in Bali. The former cost way more than the latter! Busselton, Dunsborough, Margaret River and Eagle Bay are all within comfortable driving distance for a few days break. Well, it's comfortable when I drive because I like the odd pit stop for coffee and stuff. When Scouse drives, it's a thermos, sandwiches and cross your legs, we're going straight through

I do like being relatively close to KL and even Vietnam. Most times though, we travel to the UK and I love the one stop Perth - Dubai - Manchester flight.

I like the Melbourne CBD, Southbank, the direct factory outlets and the variety of restaurants and cafes - I also find eating out in Melbourne cheaper than in Perth. In Perth, I like being on the doorstep of heaps of good wineries, the Mount Lawley café strip, being able to travel down South easily, and the beaches.

Different strokes
Old Sep 21st 2014, 10:52 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

I sooooo agree!! In 16yrs I've never felt isolated nor bored!
Old Sep 21st 2014, 10:53 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
So what? People keep on saying isolated... I ask from what?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.