Reload this Page >

Melbourne or Perth

Melbourne or Perth

Old Sep 10th 2014, 11:50 am
Just Joined

Hanalou2014 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Melbourne or Perth

Hello,

I have recently been looking at moving my young family to aus, I have been looking at loads of possibilities. I have looked at job opportunity for myself and my husband and there seems to be good job prospects in Melbourne but have not ruled Perth out either as I will be working as a social worker and my husband is in engineering.

I'd like some areas to look at in regards to moving as I'd like a suburb out of the city but no more than an hour. I've been looking west of Melbourne and north but would like some info on areas. We are planning a rec holiday to check bth cities out next year but would like to have ideas on where to start. We will be going to Perth also and would like some suggestions here. We like the idea of having parks nearby, we like weekends that can be full of family activities, we want sun but would like some kind of winter. We would like to be near a beach.

Also... I've been reading about looking into the cost of everyday items and bills ect, I'm wondering how I would get this kind of info? So I can make some kind of budget so we can take the suggested around six months worth of funds?

Any other advice would be so useful.
Old Sep 10th 2014, 9:09 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Melbourne or Perth

You've correctly identified the number one requirement as being a job. Everything else is irrelevant if you haven't got enough income to live somewhere.

Melbourne and Perth are actually very different cities, and there's tons of info on both on this forum if you search.

If you want to be near a beach, Melbourne South East is the place to be. West Melbourne has some beaches, North Melbourne has none. Perth is probably better for beaches but once you live here a while you will realise that you need more in life than a beach close by, and I would subjectively suggest that there's a lot more variety of life in Melbourne, not least because of its size.

The weather in Melbourne is quite varied, but not unpleasant, think Southern England + 10 degrees, here by the bay we don't get frost or snow, we get a lovely spring, autumn and even some winters days can be 20 degrees, summer is often the problem season as it can be too hot to do anything outside on a few days.

Hope that helps a bit.

BB
Old Sep 11th 2014, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne or Perth

Perth and melb are complete opposites. Perth has wide open spaces, beautiful beaches and low population meaning larger houses are available in a sprawling suburbia. However its well known that theres not much action in perth, not that much to do, after a month you will probably have seen everything. Perth is what you have robably imagined in your mind that Australia is like.

Melb is packed with people and reminds me a lot more of england, it rains a hell of a lot, public transport is like the london tube, rammed with people. Its all a lot like london really both good and bad. You will never run out of new restuarants/pubs and things to see and do.
Old Sep 11th 2014, 11:59 pm
Forum Regular

LeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really nice

I've lived in Perth, and visited Melbourne a few times. If your choice is based on location alone (ie not costs of living/job prospects) then I would say Melbourne would be my definite choice.
Old Sep 12th 2014, 8:08 am
Just Joined

Thank you guys, this is all helpful and is giving me some good insight into both areas x
Old Sep 12th 2014, 9:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave99
Perth and melb are complete opposites. Perth has wide open spaces, beautiful beaches and low population meaning larger houses are available in a sprawling suburbia. However its well known that theres not much action in perth, not that much to do, after a month you will probably have seen everything. Perth is what you have robably imagined in your mind that Australia is like.

Melb is packed with people and reminds me a lot more of england, it rains a hell of a lot, public transport is like the london tube, rammed with people. Its all a lot like london really both good and bad. You will never run out of new restuarants/pubs and things to see and do.
Yes, the total rainfall in Melbourne is similar to many parts of the UK from memory.
It actually rains a lot more in the subtropics and tropics (and Sydney and Brisbane) so I would not say there is lots of rain - infact for quite a few years we were in drought.

I think the incidence of rain historically is 'high' - in winter, perhaps 1 day in 3.
Might have changed in recent years.
Old Sep 12th 2014, 9:54 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Yes, the total rainfall in Melbourne is similar to many parts of the UK from memory.
It actually rains a lot more in the subtropics and tropics (and Sydney and Brisbane) so I would not say there is lots of rain - infact for quite a few years we were in drought.

I think the incidence of rain historically is 'high' - in winter, perhaps 1 day in 3.
Might have changed in recent years.
And interstingly London rainfall is typically less than Perth.
Old Sep 12th 2014, 10:30 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave99
However its well known that theres not much action in perth, not that much to do, after a month you will probably have seen everything.
What a crock. I've been in Perth for 7.5 years - most of it not at my choice - and still finding new things to do and see. It's about the person, not the place.
Old Sep 12th 2014, 12:20 pm
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
What a crock. I've been in Perth for 7.5 years - most of it not at my choice - and still finding new things to do and see. It's about the person, not the place.
Agree with Perth and surrounds, 15 yrs here and plenty to see, I think he's just hell bent to hate Australia...
Old Sep 12th 2014, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

I am liking your views on Perth, it sounds like " the Australian adventure" we were looking for but I'm hearing that it is extremely expenisive? Is this true?
Old Sep 12th 2014, 1:00 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hanalou2014
I am liking your views on Perth, it sounds like " the Australian adventure" we were looking for but I'm hearing that it is extremely expenisive? Is this true?
I don't know that it's true. I'm a single person living on a wage of less than $60k in Perth's northern suburbs and have no problem with my finances. Perth is expensive comparatively, but then wages are also higher.
Old Sep 13th 2014, 3:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hanalou2014
The biggest expense is housing and Melbourne is the second most expensive city, after Sydney. For everything else, I don't think the difference between cities is so big as to actually influence the decision on where to locate.
Old Sep 13th 2014, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

denzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond repute

The best way to choose where to live is to think of the things you like to be able to do for entertainment and travel.

Once you've figured that out then you can investigate those options in both cities.

Housing costs are much higher in Melbourne if that's gonna be an issue.

Melbourne is far more cosmopolitan than Perth but Perth also has a lively cafe/restaurant scene.

A big one to keep in mind is that travel to singapore, thailand, HK etc outta Perth is far cheaper than from Melbourne but European flights not so much. However, Perth is a bit all alone over in WA and internal flights will be far more expensive compared to flying Melb/Sydney/ Adelaide/Hobart.

Just don't consider Brisbane cos IMO it sucks here.
Old Sep 14th 2014, 8:45 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by denzil73
The best way to choose where to live is to think of the things you like to be able to do for entertainment and travel.

Once you've figured that out then you can investigate those options in both cities.

Housing costs are much higher in Melbourne if that's gonna be an issue.

Melbourne is far more cosmopolitan than Perth but Perth also has a lively cafe/restaurant scene.

A big one to keep in mind is that travel to singapore, thailand, HK etc outta Perth is far cheaper than from Melbourne but European flights not so much. However, Perth is a bit all alone over in WA and internal flights will be far more expensive compared to flying Melb/Sydney/ Adelaide/Hobart.

Just don't consider Brisbane cos IMO it sucks here.
Flights to Europe tend to be cheaper from Perth
Flights to North America tend to cost more (sometimes a lot more)
We are very lucky to have a load of budget airline options to Asia: Tiger, Air Asia X, Air Asia Indonesia, Scoot, Virgin, Jetstar. In a few weeks we are going to Singapore: Scoot there and Malaysian Airlines (via KUL) back - $365
Old Sep 14th 2014, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

denzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Flights to Europe tend to be cheaper from Perth
Flights to North America tend to cost more (sometimes a lot more)
We are very lucky to have a load of budget airline options to Asia: Tiger, Air Asia X, Air Asia Indonesia, Scoot, Virgin, Jetstar. In a few weeks we are going to Singapore: Scoot there and Malaysian Airlines (via KUL) back - $365
Holy cod pieces Batman!!! That is frickin cheap compared to Syd/Melb/Bris etc. Easily 4 times that from memory!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.