Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne living??

Melbourne living??

Old Nov 2nd 2007, 9:16 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne living??

Originally Posted by Cool Kat
Happy to comute about 30 mins out of the city, not worried about being near a beach. Would prefer to be in an traditional area rather than new housing estate with nothing but houses. How are you finding it 4 months in?
Loving every minute of it.

(sorry for the late reply, but having some trouble with subscription emails)

We have had ups and downs, but generally more good than bad.

We are still flying all over the place organizing things, but thats due now to renovating our new house, but personally I think we have a big advantage of being in an area outside the hustle & bustle of the city, and the pace here is more laid back.

Im sat here typing with the door open listening to the crickets & frogs, and every now and again I can hear a car drive past.

Also my wife & children are Dutch, and Monbulk is a very big Dutch community, which has made integrating a lot easier.

Our eldest loved the idea of emigrating 2 years ago, but when we finally left, he didnt really want to go any more. He still does miss his mates in Holland, but has made lots of new friends here, and he is settling in really well.

In 4 months, we have moved 3 times, my wife has been back to Holland for 2 weeks because her mother was taken very ill, and we have bought and moved into our new house. Not bad really for such a short spell.

Back to your question, I think the commute is more 50/60 minutes, but you are out of the reaches of the city. We love it here, and there are quite a few other poms in the area that live here, but i'm not too sure about how many locals actually commute.

I work 3km away, so its not too bad really
Old Dec 10th 2007, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

AmandaJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Melbourne living??

Hi

We live in Sunbury and have been here for 2.5 years. Obviously we think it's great but it depends what you're looking for.

It's a 35-40 min journey by train or car to the city (34kms to the CBD). Its still zone 2 on the metcard but its a country train so it only stops twice before you get to the city.

We can travel to the beach in about 30 minutes and to the ski fields in 3 hours. Housing is good value and there are some very good schools around here. We have lots of friends - poms, Irish, Kiwis and Australians and a very hectic social life - there's always someone having a get together every weekend.

Whilst Sunbury is a suburb within the metropolitan area, it is separated by countryside and is very similar to an average size town by UK standards. It has a main street with shops and a village green (rather than the centre being an indoor shopping centre).

Sorry I've only just spotted your post as I don't get to look at the forum too often these days.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you want any more info.

Good Luck
AJ