Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne or Brisbane

Melbourne or Brisbane

Old Jul 18th 2010, 11:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne or Brisbane

Originally Posted by 29palms
Manchester is a great city and thats coming from a geordie!

Its got a mound of culture....
Hey I'm guessing that there is plenty to do in Munich as well, however I bet both dont 1/4 the number of 24/7 venues that Melbourne has.

Hmm by Mound of Culture.... you dont mean that "deposit" they call old Trafford
Old Jul 18th 2010, 11:27 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Hey I'm guessing that there is plenty to do in Munich as well, however I bet both dont 1/4 the number of 24/7 venues that Melbourne has.

I think you will find its known as the Theatre of Dreams... unlike Selhurst which should be known as the Theatre of Broken Dreams.

24/7 venues.. who knows. It's a long time since I was in Manchester so I couldn't realistically comment. I assume you know the pubs don't close at 10:30pm anymore.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

anatolie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Can I hear your opinion on Wollongong mate... it should be brilliant.

Never been to Wollongong, can talk about Proserpine and Mackay in Central - North Queensland
Every single woman was overweight (with no exception I am not kidding), most looked very unhappy and aggressive, it was the weirdest experience ever. Some town near Proserpine has the highest suicide rate in Australia or in the world. It was an eye opener!
Old Jul 18th 2010, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

NELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by anatolie
Never been to Wollongong, can talk about Proserpine and Mackay in Central - North Queensland
Every single woman was overweight (with no exception I am not kidding), most looked very unhappy and aggressive, it was the weirdest experience ever. Some town near Proserpine has the highest suicide rate in Australia or in the world. It was an eye opener!
INCOMING!!!!
Old Jul 18th 2010, 8:54 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Melbourne or Brisbane

Have you got a positive word to say about anywhere?

BB
Old Jul 19th 2010, 8:16 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Have you got a positive word to say about anywhere?

BB
Yes as above.. about Gold Coast and Sydney.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 2:17 pm
Just Joined

He does have the right to an opinion, however it's valueless until he/she gives us a comparison city, that he does find interesting.

London/New York/Tokyo/Shanghai/Melbourne.... Hmm then he may have a point.

Manchester/Munich/Melbourne.... Then he probably wouldnt.

There are 2400 venues listed under City search for Melbourne. http://melbourne.citysearch.com.au/s...venues&x=0&y=0

As opposed to 2100 venues for Sydney.

http://sydney.citysearch.com.au/sear...venues&x=0&y=0

You will find that Munich is way prettier than Melbourne and it is not at the bottom *** of the world like Melboring is. A short train trip or a dirt cheap flight will take you to tens of exciting cities in Europe, Middle East or places like Marrakesh.

I am comparing it with London, Madrid, Istanbul (yes Istanbul!), New York and Buenos Aires. Living in Buenos Aires now temporarily, come and experience it, any Australian city is extremely dull in comparison.. well in my eyes. And people are so beautiful, unlike in British places like England or Australia.

I lived in Melbourne for more than 2 years, not 2 days as some commented, a total of 8 years in Australia. Australia has its advantages too, and each to their own.

I mean, if Australia was the heaven on earth like many Aussies would love you to believe 'oh we have the best country in the world!.. b*** s***', with those fake (friendly but not friendly) Aussies with extremely irritating accents, come on! Clearly way too many 'Kath and Kim's on the streets to talk about culture and sophistication.

Last edited by anatolie; Jul 20th 2010 at 2:28 pm.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 3:42 pm
Just Joined

24/7 , where 24/7? In Australia? Australia is dead after 8pm except for bars and clubs.
Go to Madrid, Buenos Aires, Istanbul , Bangkok if you want 24/7. not Melbourne or Sydney.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 3:51 pm
Banned

danjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nice

Judging on your husbands job I would say Brisbane would suit as its more of a working class city and you'll fit in there more than Melbourne which is more cultural.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 9:10 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

24/7 , where 24/7? In Australia? Australia is dead after 8pm except for bars and clubs.
Go to Madrid, Buenos Aires, Istanbul , Bangkok if you want 24/7. not Melbourne or Sydney.
Are you Mike Stanton in disguise?

BB
Old Jul 20th 2010, 9:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Are you Mike Stanton in disguise?

BB
Haha no, it should be clear in my posts that English isn't my first language. Mike Stanton sounds like a British name.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

At this present moment - I'd choose Brissie! Brrrrrrrr down here.

Things also to consider Brissie is very humid in the summer, although I haven't experienced this because the few days I spent in Brissie one Feb it was cold, we had a day trip to Noosa and it rained so the humidity factor may be a myth! Anyway, although it can get very hot down here it is a dry heat which is easier to cope with and the real hot days never last more than a couple of days.

It does get cold in winter because houses have useless heating (unless you build new and address the problem that way or you have a woodburner), no double glazing and little insulation.

Can't comment on your hubbys job but if you are a make-up artist then there will be quite a lot of opportunity for you, weddings, film/tv industry, fashion and department stores etc.

I like both cities, that's the problem really with Aussie cities they are all so different so really it is hard to compare them. I think if it was me I'd be heading to the Sunshine Coast and then commuting into Brissie if need be - if that is possible with traffic etc.

Melbourne is a place you have to discover as it doesn't have that initial wow factor impact but if you like the arts etc there are loads of museums, gallieries etc etc and there is lots to do for the kids.

Melbourne is okay, the city beaches are fine but for something a bit more dramatic then you need to head down to the Peninsula or the Great Ocean Road. There is lots of countryside, wineries etc around the city within an hours drive - nothing is very far away here and it does have a big town feel rather than a sprawling city like Sydney.

Having said that if I had the money then I'd still head for the Northern Beaches of Sydney but I haven't. Although I'm seriously considering decamping to QLD for winter next year!

Good luck with whatever you decide, it is a tricky one!
Old Jul 21st 2010, 2:58 am
Forum Regular

littda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nice

You will find that Munich is way prettier than Melbourne and it is not at the bottom *** of the world like Melboring is. A short train trip or a dirt cheap flight will take you to tens of exciting cities in Europe, Middle East or places like Marrakesh.

I am comparing it with London, Madrid, Istanbul (yes Istanbul!), New York and Buenos Aires. Living in Buenos Aires now temporarily, come and experience it, any Australian city is extremely dull in comparison.. well in my eyes. And people are so beautiful, unlike in British places like England or Australia.

I lived in Melbourne for more than 2 years, not 2 days as some commented, a total of 8 years in Australia. Australia has its advantages too, and each to their own.

I mean, if Australia was the heaven on earth like many Aussies would love you to believe 'oh we have the best country in the world!.. b*** s***', with those fake (friendly but not friendly) Aussies with extremely irritating accents, come on! Clearly way too many 'Kath and Kim's on the streets to talk about culture and sophistication.
I am pretty well-travelled, have just moved to Melbourne and would say its one of the best cities I've ever been to (up there with San Francisco, Cape Town, Montreal). But obviously everyone looks for different things.

For me its main deal is that it offers the feel of a big city with the feel of small towns and open space. Good nightlife, but if you like sports theres plenty to do.

London is a dive. It may be interesting at times, but its a really shit place to live. And its nightlife is well worse than Melbournes, as a rule (unless you're a cokehead that has the money and attitude to hang out in celeb bars and clubs).

New York is a great city (I lived close to it for 7 years), but if you live there you can forget about any sport or outdoor activities as theres next to none on the island.

Madrid is a nice city, but most Spaniards consider it quite boring so not sure how you got that one on there.

BA is supposed to be beautiful but even Brazilians consider it dangerous so maybe a fun place to spend a few months but not a great place to live.

Munich is pretty but pretty dead.

Istanbul - no experience there.

Anyway, you seem to just be trolling so I probably shouldnt have gone for the bait :-)
Old Jul 21st 2010, 3:07 am
Victorian Evangelist

Originally Posted by littda01
I am pretty well-travelled, have just moved to Melbourne and would say its one of the best cities I've ever been to (up there with San Francisco, Cape Town, Montreal).
Agreed, I compare Melbourne well with parts of California, it even has aspects of coastal LA and San Diego in it, the Beach Road for instance shares much with places like La Jolla.

For me its main deal is that it offers the feel of a big city with the feel of small towns and open space.
Yep, the single storey houses, lack of high-rises outside the CBD and the tree-lined streets definitely help with this.

London is a dive. It may be interesting at times, but its a really shit place to live.
Disagree. I lived there for 20 years and loved it. London's a great city to live in, although right now Melbourne fits me better.

Anyway, you seem to just be trolling so I probably shouldnt have gone for the bait :-)
Yes, they don't seem to have much constructive to say.

BB
Old Jul 21st 2010, 3:22 am
Forum Regular

littda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nice

London has its moments, I enjoyed some of the 6 yrs or so I was there. But its such a bloody hassle to get from A to B, and everywhere is so crowded, it just tortures your soul. Maybe its just very fresh in my memory as I've just left there (and I was living in a posh area in Surrey, still couldn't get over the hassles :-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.