Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne or Brisbane

Melbourne or Brisbane

Old Jul 17th 2010, 4:58 pm
Just Joined

amyrose is just really niceamyrose is just really niceamyrose is just really niceamyrose is just really niceamyrose is just really niceamyrose is just really niceamyrose is just really niceamyrose is just really nice
Question Melbourne or Brisbane

Would really appreciate some advice. Myself (makeup artist) husband (manufacturing mechanical team lead) 2 kids (9 &11) have full visa's for oz and plan to travel in Nov from Ireland.

We have been to Brisbane before and really liked it, however we heard that there is much better job opportunities for husband in Melbourne. Primarily we would like to live outside a city maybe 30 mins from a beach in an area that has good schools and generally a good quality of life.

Research seems to suggest that Melbourne has everything going for it, but I am worried about cost of living and rental prices. There are great reports from Australia but I'm not sure it's as easy to find work as some agencies are making out. Do Australian employers welcome people from overseas or is it a process that takes a long time?

As I said I would really appreciate any guidance on the above.

Thanks in advance
Old Jul 17th 2010, 5:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

James516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Melbourne or Brisbane

It's all about work I'm afraid. Your husband will find more work in Melbourne than in Brisbane - there's more manufacturing/engineering there.

Work will not be easy to find and being foreigners will make it harder. Sorry.

One option that you might not have considered is WA - lots of manufacturing jobs that are mining-related.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 10:29 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Melbourne or Brisbane

You may have read these already but here are the links to my reccie reports on both Melbourne and Brisbane, we chose Melbourne for much the reasons you have mentioned, we wanted to live within a reasonable commute of the city and near a beach, Brisbane doesn't really have beaches, you have to go to the Gold Coast or sunshine coast for those, so Melbourne won easily.

Brisbane reccie - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=412993

Melbourne reccie - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=413388

We have been in Melbourne 3 years and love it.

BB
Old Jul 17th 2010, 10:52 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Melbourne. And thats coming from someone who lives in Brisbane. Comment entirely based on finding Brisbane boring and very small town.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 11:25 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
Melbourne. And thats coming from someone who lives in Brisbane. Comment entirely based on finding Brisbane boring and very small town.
And who comes from possibly the only good beach in Brisbane IMO - Wellington Point. I reckon the beach there must get packed out in summer - would I be right Centurion? It's a lovely spot but very small.

BB
Old Jul 17th 2010, 11:31 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Have lived in both - Melbourne no question!

Brisbane wins on climate for about half the year (Melbourne wins the other half, obviously!)...that's about it.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 12:38 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
And who comes from possibly the only good beach in Brisbane IMO - Wellington Point. I reckon the beach there must get packed out in summer - would I be right Centurion? It's a lovely spot but very small.

BB
Yes, Wellington Point used to be quiet and small. Nowadays at weekends and public holidays you can't get a decent parking space down there.

Although it's a nice place to live, its very suburbia. My wife and I are the odd ones out there. We don't have 2.4 children and don't consider drinking beer as the pinnacle of entertainment. We just find it very country town and whilst some may like that, personally I crave a little more culture and vibrancy.

I'm not sure what the future holds for us. I'm considering all worldwide options in the next couple of years. Back to the UK is a no no, but I will sit on the fence for a year or so and see how the economics of the world play out.

I may try to have a look at Melbourne more closely in the interim, do not fancy Sydney. Maybe I should do my own domestic reccie trip!
Old Jul 18th 2010, 12:47 am

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
Yes, Wellington Point used to be quiet and small. Nowadays at weekends and public holidays you can't get a decent parking space down there.

Although it's a nice place to live, its very suburbia. My wife and I are the odd ones out there. We don't have 2.4 children and don't consider drinking beer as the pinnacle of entertainment. We just find it very country town and whilst some may like that, personally I crave a little more culture and vibrancy.

I'm not sure what the future holds for us. I'm considering all worldwide options in the next couple of years. Back to the UK is a no no, but I will sit on the fence for a year or so and see how the economics of the world play out.

I may try to have a look at Melbourne more closely in the interim, do not fancy Sydney. Maybe I should do my own domestic reccie trip!
Spot on about Wello mate..way too busy now,I can remember being able to park anywhere you wanted a few years ago..now it's chocca

Bit quieter up here at Mount Cotton..but even this is growing quickly
Old Jul 18th 2010, 1:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

BB
Wellington point has a beach? Surely redcliffe beaches are better. Given the OP wants to be 30 minutes drive to a beach they could live on the south side of Brisbane and drive to the gold coast for great beaches etc. Buzzy it is almost the same for most brisbanites to drive to the gold coast than wellington point.....most go to Wellington point once every 10 years.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by fish.01
Wellington point has a beach? Surely redcliffe beaches are better. Given the OP wants to be 30 minutes drive to a beach they could live on the south side of Brisbane and drive to the gold coast for great beaches etc. Buzzy it is almost the same for most brisbanites to drive to the gold coast than wellington point.....most go to Wellington point once every 10 years.
Wellington Point has a spit. Its sandy in a mangrove way and at low tide you can walk to King Island. Weekdays you can have your dog off leash because its submerged at high tide, it counts as marine park rather than local council and they can't do you for dogs off leash until you come to the shoreline again.

Beach may be overstating what it is, however there is sand for the kids and its very picturesque.

That said, your spot on mate - the Gold Coast is a much better bet for proper beaches.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 1:44 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Given the OP wants to be 30 minutes drive to a beach they could live on the south side of Brisbane and drive to the gold coast for great beaches etc.
Where on the southside of Brisbane is 30 mins drive from say Southport?
Old Jul 18th 2010, 1:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Brisbane is fantastic for me. Smaller and cheaper than Melbourne so I can afford to live close to the city. Green, hilly, sunny with lovely outdoor places to eat, markets etc I can enjoy all year round in the sunshine. Surrounded by beautiful places you can enjoy all year. Melbourne had a lot more concrete, chilly, windy feel to me but to those who like a proper winter it would be good. Is great on a sunny day.

Melbourne has great vibrant inner city so would be my choice if pre children and just looking for most activity rather than the balance of things that suits me now. It also has more cultural events if you are a real culture vulture though Brisbane still has a healthy scene.

That's what it comes down to...which things you like most and in what doses as no one city suits everyone better.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 1:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bcworld
Where on the southside of Brisbane is 30 mins drive from say Southport?
Daisy Hill may be 30-45 depending on traffic or greenbank. Eight mile plains to dreamworld takes 20 mins so assuming not long to get from dreamworld to southport.

Last edited by fish.01; Jul 18th 2010 at 2:03 am.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 2:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BB
Come to think of it the best Brisbane beaches are actually on the islands, Bribie, North and South Straddie and Moreton.

Bribie is 30 minutes from many suburbs on the north side.

Melbourne is a good city but I personally wouldn't think of it as a beach place. Just too cold too often. Maybe someone from the British Isles wouldn't think this way as everything is relative I guess. Would much more likely move there for the inner city.

Last edited by fish.01; Jul 18th 2010 at 2:32 am.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 3:00 am
Victorian Evangelist

Come to think of it the best Brisbane beaches are actually on the islands, Bribie, North and South Straddie and Moreton.

Bribie is 30 minutes from many suburbs on the north side.
Yes but I want to walk to a beach. I could drive to a beach in only a little more than that time in the UK!!

Melbourne is a good city but I personally wouldn't think of it as a beach place. Just too cold too often. Maybe someone from the British Isles wouldn't think this way as everything is relative I guess. Would much more likely move there for the inner city.
You haven't lived in Melbourne have you, you've just visited it?

BB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.