Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne or Brisbane

Melbourne or Brisbane

Old Jul 18th 2010, 3:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne or Brisbane

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Yes but I want to walk to a beach. I could drive to a beach in only a little more than that time in the UK!!

You haven't lived in Melbourne have you, you've just visited it?

BB
The 30 minute answer was for the OP not you...you've already found your slice of heaven

Just visited...but I have been watching the temps for many decades and it is often freezing down there...was there last summer and could not believe how cold it could get...of course some don't mind but not for me long term...and btw, talking about just visiting, I reread your Brisbane reccie and agree with most of what you say....I wouldn't want to live in most of the parts you visited either...far too many move to the outlying areas surrounding Brisbane where it is very quiet when it doesn't suit them. Inside the Brisbane City Council boundaries would be better for many of them IMO.

Last edited by fish.01; Jul 18th 2010 at 3:55 am.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 4:26 am
Just Joined

anatolie is an unknown quantity at this point

I lived in Melbourne, Sydney, Gold Coast, Brisbane- say roughly 2 years each.
Brisbane is a dump full of racist red necks, but nice weather, green, hilly, close to Gold Coast Sunshine Coast etc. No culture.
Melbourne is like a Europe wanna be, terrible weather. The place reminded me of a morgue. I thought it was awful, never understood how it used to get world's most livable city title at the time.
I liked the Gold Coast lifestyle the most but no jobs or cultural activities.
Sydney is the best city to me, love it, but probably as expensive as London now. And people aren't very nice.
I think Australia overall is a bit dull, quiet and boring, much more so outside Sydney.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 4:30 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Would have to be Melbourne, even if you have to wear a jumper! Brisbane cheaper than Melbourne?? No doubt someone can pitch in on that comment.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 4:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anatolie
Brisbane is a dump full of racist red necks, but nice weather, green, hilly, close to Gold Coast Sunshine Coast etc. No culture.
Melbourne is like a Europe wanna be, terrible weather. The place reminded me of a morgue. I thought it was awful, never understood how it used to get world's most livable city title at the time.
Sydney is the best city to me, love it, but probably as expensive as London now. And people aren't very nice.
I think Australia overall is a bit dull, quiet and boring, much more so outside Sydney.
Congrats, you've won the "generaliser" of the month award...has been many worthy entries and we have all tried hard but nothing can top that.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 4:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
Would have to be Melbourne, even if you have to wear a jumper! Brisbane cheaper than Melbourne?? No doubt someone can pitch in on that comment.
Far cheaper inner city housing so don't have to live in suburbia like I would in Melbourne.

Last edited by fish.01; Jul 18th 2010 at 4:34 am.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 4:48 am
Just Joined

anatolie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fish.01
Congrats, you've won the "generaliser" of the month award...has been many worthy entries and we have all tried hard but nothing can top that.
We are all entitled to our own opinions with experiences we may have had in the past. That is what you will see in hundreds of posts on this forum.
Melbourne has to be one of the most uninteresting cities I have ever been to in my life.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 5:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

We are all entitled to our own opinions with experiences we may have had in the past. That is what you will see in hundreds of posts on this forum.
Melbourne has to be one of the most uninteresting cities I have ever been to in my life.
Stop it...you've already won...
Old Jul 18th 2010, 6:03 am
Brisbane's friendly cop

Scubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond repute

+1 for pretty much everything fish has said......
Old Jul 18th 2010, 6:23 am
BE Forum Addict

NELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by fish.01
Stop it...you've already won...
That was the acceptance speech
Old Jul 18th 2010, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

robertnhelen has a brilliant futurerobertnhelen has a brilliant futurerobertnhelen has a brilliant futurerobertnhelen has a brilliant futurerobertnhelen has a brilliant futurerobertnhelen has a brilliant future

Melbourne uninteresting! bloody hell where do you live, Las Vegas?
Old Jul 18th 2010, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all

Jees you must have high expectations?,
Unintersting in what way? didnt have any theme parks? Didnt have amusment arcades on the sea front?
I guess its just subjective and what your expetations are!
I am all for opinions but i think unless you can back it up in a critical structured way you, have a null hypothesis!
how long did you live in Melbourne for?, was it one or two days?

Terrible weather? compared to what? A tropical island that gets 360 days of sunshine?
Old Jul 18th 2010, 7:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robertnhelen
Melbourne uninteresting! bloody hell where do you live, Las Vegas?
He does have the right to an opinion, however it's valueless until he/she gives us a comparison city, that he does find interesting.

London/New York/Tokyo/Shanghai/Melbourne.... Hmm then he may have a point.

Manchester/Munich/Melbourne.... Then he probably wouldnt.

There are 2400 venues listed under City search for Melbourne. http://melbourne.citysearch.com.au/s...venues&x=0&y=0

As opposed to 2100 venues for Sydney.

http://sydney.citysearch.com.au/sear...venues&x=0&y=0
Old Jul 18th 2010, 7:15 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Can I hear your opinion on Wollongong mate... it should be brilliant.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 7:16 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
He does have the right to an opinion, however it's valueless until he/she gives us a comparison city, that he does find interesting.

London/New York/Tokyo/Shanghai/Melbourne.... Hmm then he may have a point.

Manchester/Munich/Melbourne.... Then he probably wouldnt.

There are 2400 venues listed under City search for Melbourne. http://melbourne.citysearch.com.au/s...venues&x=0&y=0

As opposed to 2100 venues for Sydney.

http://sydney.citysearch.com.au/sear...venues&x=0&y=0
...and what's wrong with Manchester?

Old Jul 18th 2010, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all

Manchester is a great city and thats coming from a geordie!

Its got a mound of culture....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.