Melbourne

Old Apr 26th 2011, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

Jason mears is just really niceJason mears is just really niceJason mears is just really niceJason mears is just really niceJason mears is just really niceJason mears is just really niceJason mears is just really niceJason mears is just really nice
Default Re: Melbourne

Sorry Hayley,seen the Melbourne thread and just jumped in x
Melbourne fits the bill for us as there is so much contruction work there and nursing for my wife
Looking at the previous posts though , Im just wondering about the weather, compared to the UK I'm sure it's fine but as I said my kids expect a pool or at least going to an outside pool daily
This may seem like a small requirement in comparison to moving to a fantastic City, but you havent met my kids, sports mad that require things to do 24/7 which I'm glad as they never look at playstations etc
Jas
Old Apr 26th 2011, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jason mears
Sorry Hayley,seen the Melbourne thread and just jumped in x
Melbourne fits the bill for us as there is so much contruction work there and nursing for my wife
Looking at the previous posts though , Im just wondering about the weather, compared to the UK I'm sure it's fine but as I said my kids expect a pool or at least going to an outside pool daily
This may seem like a small requirement in comparison to moving to a fantastic City, but you havent met my kids, sports mad that require things to do 24/7 which I'm glad as they never look at playstations etc
Jas
There is no way you can use an outdoor pool (for fun) all year round in Melbourne, unless you wear a wet suit/are a seal! No problems with other sports as Melbourne is sports mad and AFL is a religion! We now have a rugby union side (the rebels) and two soccer teams, Victory and Heart. We also have rugby league side, Melbourne Storm and it goes on.

In Bayside where I am there are loads of gyms and personal training studios so no problem staying fit.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 8:25 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

We used to use our solar heated pool for 6 months of the year easily, then we just winterized it, however our power bills were pretty big, BUT again we had no mains gas so electricity was expensive.

In the S/E I personally wouldnt live in Cranbourne, Pakenam, Officer, Narre South, Hallam....BUT thats just me. I dont like new builds at all and I dont like unestablished. Pakenam is very dodgy at night (first hand experiences) and I have friends who have recently moved away from Cranbourne (Crimebourne is how the locals refer to it apparently!)) and couldnt leave fast enough! Berwick is ok, as are parts of Narre Warren theres also Harkaway Beaconsfield and Upper Beac that are nice, but again thats what *I* like and may not be to everyones taste. We are on the move for the 3rd time in 8 years to what I believe is my forever home We are moving up north to the hills and have an acre so I can be really antisocial Our nearest town will be Belgrave which is the end of the Met Link to the city and is 50 mins. It is also a "proper" town with a high street cos I'm bloody sick of Westfield souless shopping centres which even my teen daughter has noticed, are becoming really feral!

I'm gonna stop now cos I'm sounding like Badge
Old Apr 26th 2011, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

HayleyDamerell is an unknown quantity at this point

Honestly Jason no problem was just joking any info is great! Ohhhh were liking the look of mornington and surrounding areas! Another area my husband has his eye on is williamstown......any one know what it's like there??
Old Apr 26th 2011, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

Hevs
Am loving the honesty!! Would much prefer that than tinted glasses!!
Were not that set on having a swimming pool.....we've 2 young boys and would constantly worry!! There's always a paddling pool to get out when the sunshines
Were looking for a lovely town (not new builds) with great parks, schools, shops. A good community spirit that will let us join in. Preferably close to beach and within an hour from city. Am I just dreaming or do these places exist in Melbourne?
Old Apr 26th 2011, 1:35 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HayleyDamerell
Hevs
Am loving the honesty!! Would much prefer that than tinted glasses!!
Were not that set on having a swimming pool.....we've 2 young boys and would constantly worry!! There's always a paddling pool to get out when the sunshines
Were looking for a lovely town (not new builds) with great parks, schools, shops. A good community spirit that will let us join in. Preferably close to beach and within an hour from city. Am I just dreaming or do these places exist in Melbourne?
They do Hayley, but you will pay for them. Mornington is nice, but I would think way to far out for a daily commute though.

Pools have to be fenced, ours had an auto gate so was never overly worried, just always checked the gate was clear.

Also a "town" feeling can be difficult to find also. Its taken me 8 years, but got there in the end, but they are harder pin down and tick all of the boxes IMHO.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 1:45 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jason mears
Hi
We to are considering Melbourne , the one thing I have noticed just by scouring the web for the south east suburbs is the properties have no pools
I know most of the houses in the inner eastern suburbs , Brighton , Hampton etc are older houses and now have no room
I can travel 30 min max from the CBD, any suggestions ?
Having a pool is the childrens stipulation , mine is being close to the city and a rugby
My wife wants shopping hence the reason I've searched Brighton etc
Jason
Beach, city commutable and civilised... I'd pick Brighton. It's not cheap but it's a nice neck of the woods. If you want something more affordable and still an easy drive to the beach and to the city you could look at South Caulfield, Oakleigh etc which are nice too. From memory, the Oakleigh area has a lovely public pool. Chadstone is a huge shopping centre nearby and the surrounding suburbs have quality boutiques and restaurants. Stick to these areas just south of the city and you should be happy. I agree with those who say they would avoid Cranbourne. Also, bear in mind that in peak times, travel from anywhere could take more than 30 minutes. Caulfield area to the CBD used to take me 45 mins in peak hour.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

Brissybee
Thanks for the reply......will look more into Brighton. Im sure I read on an old thread that Brighton had a high crime rate and not very good schools.....can't be 100% sure, do I have the wrong impression? (note to self.....must write my research down) haha
Old Apr 26th 2011, 9:27 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Hayley, have a look at our area and the areas surrounding it. We live in Mordialloc / Parkdale - we are 45 mins drive or train from the city, 20 mins walk from the beach and have really good schools. It is a big family area with great community stuff going on. Mentone is also very nice, you could consider Aspendale and Edithvale which are further out but still OK.

BB
Old Apr 26th 2011, 9:29 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Brissybee
Thanks for the reply......will look more into Brighton. Im sure I read on an old thread that Brighton had a high crime rate and not very good schools.....can't be 100% sure, do I have the wrong impression? (note to self.....must write my research down) haha
Bayside, where Brighton is, has very low crime rates.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 11:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissybee
Beach, city commutable and civilised... I'd pick Brighton. It's not cheap but it's a nice neck of the woods.

My FIL lives in Brighton, the house if hardly flash, the land is V small compared to what we have, but it was valued when the MIL died at 2.2 million. Prices round there are nuts. Fairly typical of the inner beach burbs.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

BB......will have a look at those. Thanks

We were having a look on net again last night and quite liked the look of altona meadows and sanctuary lakes. Anyone know about these areas? X
Old Apr 27th 2011, 7:45 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

We were having a look on net again last night and quite liked the look of altona meadows and sanctuary lakes. Anyone know about these areas? X
Altona wasn't much chop in my day. Each to their own though.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 8:01 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Altona meadows borders a very heavy industrial area. I reckon its an area that is "coming up" though. Sanctuary Lakes is a new estate. Looks very flash, but I know people who have moved there from Parkdale and have shifted again within 9 months complaining it was "soul-less and empty". Each to their own though.

BB
Old Apr 27th 2011, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

We liked the look of the houses at sanctuary lakes but that's what we was worried about what with it being new development. I really want a house.....or townhouse as there known in oz like the idea of when kiddies go to bed there up out the way ( oh god that sounds awful!) or perhaps it's me wanting a bit of England
There's so many things to consider!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.