Melbourne

Old Apr 23rd 2011, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

HayleyDamerell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Melbourne

Hi all

We (husband, 2 young children and myself) have just sent off our application for Melbourne after receiving a positive skills test we have had to apply here as our desired state of Perth application is too close to cut off date. We are still very pleased to apply to Melbourne yet all of our research has been on Perth!

Can anyway recommend good areas to live in, which suit a young family, less than an hour from city and preferably close to coast.
I know a lot of threads have been negative about people not getting preferred state.....but I must say we are incredibly happy to be getting in and know how lucky we are. Thanks all.......
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 9:08 pm
Just Joined

saffymouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Melbourne

Hello Hayley,

I can't answer your question but just wanted to say "hi" as we're looking to go to Melbs too. We have a 3yr old and a 9wk old so I'll be watching this thread with interest!

Saff x
Old Apr 24th 2011, 12:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HayleyDamerell
Hi all

We (husband, 2 young children and myself) have just sent off our application for Melbourne after receiving a positive skills test we have had to apply here as our desired state of Perth application is too close to cut off date. We are still very pleased to apply to Melbourne yet all of our research has been on Perth!

Can anyway recommend good areas to live in, which suit a young family, less than an hour from city and preferably close to coast.
I know a lot of threads have been negative about people not getting preferred state.....but I must say we are incredibly happy to be getting in and know how lucky we are. Thanks all.......
just stick melbourne suburbs in the search box. hundreds of posts should come up.

Just be aware some suburbs will get a little 'nudge' due to peoples business interests. Inner melbourne beachside sububurs will not be cheap
Old Apr 24th 2011, 4:44 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not close enough to a beach to "nudge" my business interests but an area that is proving very popular recently with new arrivals is Berwick, Cranbourne and surrounding areas. Also Pakenham is extremely nice.

All on the edge of the city, about 1 hour travel to the CBD. Either very good transport links or in the process of being finished.

About 30 minutes from the beach, with lots of new estates but also plenty of exhisting builds as well.

On the other side of the city another up and coming area is the point cook area. Not sure how it is for decent beaches, but I have heard plenty of positive reports recently now that the infrastructure is falling into place more now.
Old Apr 24th 2011, 7:06 am
Just Joined

JayB is on a distinguished road

I personally think Cranbourne is not pleasant for a family everyone has their opinions but we rented there, can be full of P plate drivers and hoons as they call them in the town centre. Most of the surburbs near the coast under an hour to Melbourne are pricey, we are on the mornington peninsula and I have two young children and mornington, mt martha, mt eliza are very family friendly, full of young families. Best to rent first then look around at areas and check them out and see what feels best, good luck.
Old Apr 24th 2011, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

Hi all. Thanks very much for peoples responses.....we will have a look at areas suggested. Are there any areas we should avoid?
Old Apr 24th 2011, 9:14 am
Just Joined

GeordieGeek will become famous soon enoughGeordieGeek will become famous soon enough

We are staying in Rye and slowly exploring all the areas around here whilst on holiday as we have similar requirements to the OP we want to research before we decide whether to emigrate over this way from the UK.

We initially thought Frankston couldn't be as bad as most people on this forum say but looking around the other day I wouldn't be interested moving across the other side of the World to live there

Only driven through Mornington, Mt Martha and Mt Eliza so far but Hastings and Flinders seemed nice today when we were there.

Will be keeping a watch of this thread too
Old Apr 24th 2011, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

Jason mears is just really niceJason mears is just really niceJason mears is just really niceJason mears is just really niceJason mears is just really niceJason mears is just really niceJason mears is just really niceJason mears is just really nice

Hi
We to are considering Melbourne , the one thing I have noticed just by scouring the web for the south east suburbs is the properties have no pools
I know most of the houses in the inner eastern suburbs , Brighton , Hampton etc are older houses and now have no room
I can travel 30 min max from the CBD, any suggestions ?
Having a pool is the childrens stipulation , mine is being close to the city and a rugby
My wife wants shopping hence the reason I've searched Brighton etc
Jason
Old Apr 24th 2011, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jason mears
Hi
We to are considering Melbourne , the one thing I have noticed just by scouring the web for the south east suburbs is the properties have no pools
I know most of the houses in the inner eastern suburbs , Brighton , Hampton etc are older houses and now have no room
Having a pool is the childrens stipulation , mine is being close to the city and a rugby
Jason
You can find rentals with pools, just not many (its too cold!!). You will have to search around. Brighton's ok for shopping but you will find small boutique shops in many of the Bayside subs. Black Rock has a good little shopping area - I go there most days. Black Rock and Beaumaris are also near to two railway stations and to a couple of shopping centres, Southland (Westfield) being the nearest and Chadstone a 15 minute drive.

You won't pay quite as much for rentals in these areas and there are some good schools nearby.
Old Apr 24th 2011, 9:46 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Jason
I assume you mean a rugby club?

If its union, you might have more chance finding a rental with a pool than a rugby club

I played myself for over 25 years & my boys were also loving the game when we moved over. Because for us the nearest club is over 30 minutes drive & away matches would be even further, they now play AFL (not bad either, and i'm now a local assistant coach, but not the same )

here you will find all the victorian rugby union clubs

http://www.vicrugby.com.au/

Heres the League clubs:

http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_p...0-0&sID=196756

Last edited by furkew; Apr 24th 2011 at 9:49 pm.
Old Apr 24th 2011, 11:02 pm
Just Joined

JayB is on a distinguished road

Areas to avoid in my opinion would be Cranbourne, Packenham, they are both rough at night, lots of hoons around and just a town neither are on the coast. Also Hastings is growing but I have heard bad reports on the schools there, we quite like Hastings but because of friends telling me info about the schools then I wouldn't live there. A friend of mine moved there but made sure her children went to schools outside of Hastings! Mornington, Mt Martha and Mt Eliza are beautiful it gets busy in holiday season but that's to be expected as lots of city people come down for a holiday so the roads get busy. If your renting when you get here its a good opportunity to look around. We liked the Hunt Club Estate in Cranbourne but Cranbourne is not pleasant.
Old Apr 24th 2011, 11:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Jason

Pools cool down swiftly if the temps not warm at night, melb is rarely tropical at night. Summer days can be 40 or 20 and to keep a pool warm in my experience you need hot days and warm nights on a constant basis or the pool temp dips. NIghts in summer in melb are often below 20, pools would need to be heated, nobody wants the cost. Even solar costs to set it up and then back up and running of the pool costs. Of course some have pools in melb but its really not the ideal climate for them, occasional use more than regular.

Landlords dont want the liablilty of a pool.

In qld we use the pool from late oct till around april ( only march this year) and usually in that time its warm /hot day and night even if it rains. Thats with no heating, with solar probably all year.

Last edited by jad n rich; Apr 24th 2011 at 11:34 pm.
Old Apr 24th 2011, 11:12 pm
Going for a ride

Originally Posted by JayB
Areas to avoid in my opinion would be Cranbourne, Packenham, .
I'm not a fan of Cranbourne either (too many new builds ) , but there are plenty out there that it appeals to, and I have friends in Pakenham & Packenham upper, and they love it there and have lived there for years.

I agree anything towards the Mornington peninsular is very nice, but you are then going to have longer commutes and the OP had mentioned up to an hour to the CBD.
Old Apr 24th 2011, 11:17 pm
Going for a ride

Originally Posted by jad n rich
In qld we use the pool from late oct till around april ( only march this year) and usually in that time its warm/hot day and night even if it rains.
Melbourne Late Oct/early Nov till March with Solar, but our kids will use it when it gets around 23-25 degrees in the pool.

We probably have 6-8 weeks a year less use than somebody in QLD, but I do agree with the fact that a pool isnt financially interesting to add to a rental property on a long term basis, unless its a higher end rental with pool maintenance/servicing included in the rent.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

Hi all. Thanks again for more info finding all really helpful!! hey mr Jason......have you gatecrashed my thread! only joking....any info is good info in my eyes. Keep it all coming

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.