Melbourne

Old Apr 27th 2011, 10:23 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne

Originally Posted by HayleyDamerell
We liked the look of the houses at sanctuary lakes but that's what we was worried about what with it being new development. I really want a house.....or townhouse as there known in oz like the idea of when kiddies go to bed there up out the way ( oh god that sounds awful!) or perhaps it's me wanting a bit of England
There's so many things to consider!!
A think the term you're looking for is probably 'highset'...not townhouse.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 10:42 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
A think the term you're looking for is probably 'highset'...not townhouse.
I've never heard Highset, but know what a town house is...its like a double story only taller and often linked.....
Old Apr 27th 2011, 10:58 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
I've never heard Highset,
High-set homes
Old Apr 27th 2011, 11:05 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
I've never heard Highset, but know what a town house is...its like a double story only taller and often linked.....
Maybe I'm getting confused with Qld...'double storey' then.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 11:10 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe I'm getting confused with Qld...'double storey' then.
Ahhh I forgot your QLD link and when Matt posted that link I was really confused
Old Apr 27th 2011, 11:48 am

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Altona meadows borders a very heavy industrial area. I reckon its an area that is "coming up" though. Sanctuary Lakes is a new estate. Looks very flash, but I know people who have moved there from Parkdale and have shifted again within 9 months complaining it was "soul-less and empty". Each to their own though.

BB
I lived in Altona Meadows for about 12 years.I wouldn't say it's up and coming.It's as up as far as it can go.It' isn't a new estate.
I wouldn't call Sanctuary Lakes a new estate either.
I've worked on about 15 to 20 houses in there over the years.
The first in 1996,there were about 5 houses in there and the rest was salt marsh.60 grand for a block.At the time it had a completion time scale of 15 years.They more or less achieved it.I tend to agree with your soul-less comment but as you say "each to their own"
Old Apr 27th 2011, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

HayleyDamerell is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there. I see your in williamstown....my husband has been looking there, but feels the commute to city could be quite a trek. How do you like it there? And find the travel?
Old Apr 27th 2011, 12:20 pm

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi.We love it here.
If you're in a position to buy here I would recommend that you do.
It has a great community along with Newport.Some people give Newport a bad rap but I'm telling you the community I know there are brill.Like anything else you have to know the right spots.
Nearly forgot.5 minutes and your on the bridge then into the city.Can't really say how long it will take you to get to work as I have no idea where your working.
Best of luck

Last edited by ukecadet; Apr 27th 2011 at 12:28 pm.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

HayleyDamerell is an unknown quantity at this point

Lovely. Will add to my list of research. Thanks for the help
Old Apr 28th 2011, 4:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HayleyDamerell
We liked the look of the houses at sanctuary lakes but that's what we was worried about what with it being new development. I really want a house.....or townhouse as there known in oz like the idea of when kiddies go to bed there up out the way ( oh god that sounds awful!) or perhaps it's me wanting a bit of England
There's so many things to consider!!

Consider when its 42 degrees how hot the bedrooms will be. Hence the popularity of the single story in OZ, till the tiny land came along then suddenly the need to build up.

Seriously, when its hot and melb summers can be VV hot some days, the top of the house obviously gets very hot, especially if your looking at the Mcmansion (fur coat no knickers kind of house ) built cheap like a paper box really. Those display home usually impress the english new arrival but really not the best design in the oz climate at all.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 4:51 am
High in the Dandenongs

I have to concur with Jad on this one Houses with out eves and you're just asking for trouble, power bills to cool it are terrible, even with sun awnings!

We live upstairs in ours and even today (i think its about 23) its sweltering up here, downstairs (the bedrooms) is lovely and cool

But have to admit, when you arrive the show homes are mighty impressive
Old Apr 28th 2011, 6:32 am
Forum Regular

Jason mears is just really niceJason mears is just really niceJason mears is just really niceJason mears is just really niceJason mears is just really niceJason mears is just really niceJason mears is just really niceJason mears is just really nice

That said, even in a bungalow, when renting a property should we look for houses with Air con ?
Old Apr 28th 2011, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jason mears
That said, even in a bungalow, when renting a property should we look for houses with Air con ?
I personally wouldn't put air-con as a high priority for a house in Melbourne. Out of 6 houses we've lived in here (well, 3 units/flats and 3 houses), only one had air-con and it was the ubiquitous townhouse, north-facing with no insulation, brick veneer and a brick hothouse of a courtyard Needless to say the air-con was a godsend for that one, but it was never needed for the others. Melbourne gets hot days, but they are never in a very long stretch so you might have to suffer for 2 or 3 days and then it cools down again.

Last summer was the exception with long stretches of hot humid days, but I reckon it was just them up in FNQld sending us their weather to annoy us

I would take central/ducted heating over air-con any day when choosing a house in Melbourne.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 8:48 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by Jason mears
Bedroom only, and you won't need it much. I don't remember a single uncomfortable night this past summer.

Elice is right, think about heating first...my place is starting to enter it's f-freezing stage now!
Old Apr 28th 2011, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Bedroom only, and you won't need it much. I don't remember a single uncomfortable night this past summer.

Elice is right, think about heating first...my place is starting to enter it's f-freezing stage now!
We've had the heating on in the morning and the evening for about a week now! It was 15°C in the house in the morning the other day!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.