Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Medicare - Reccie/Validation trip?

Medicare - Reccie/Validation trip?

Old Jun 1st 2008, 7:39 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medicare - Reccie/Validation trip?

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Hmmm. Seems to be mixed messages here. I validated in 2003 and arrived in 2006 - Medicare took my registration date in 2006 as my eligible date for the 12 months for private insurance to begin...

S
Even Medicare isn't playing the same tune: I enquired of them when we did the validation as to the start date and eventually got to speak to a junior minister about it. She spoke for some twenty minutes, confused herself enormously and ended up saying both the validation date and the permanent entry date were correct!
Old Jun 1st 2008, 7:48 am
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
You're probably best not registering for Medicare on your validation trip, as that is when the 12 month clock starts ticking in relation to taking up private health insurance. If you register with Medicare on validation, then take more than 12 months to return and take up your residence, you will not be eligible to be treated as a 30 year old when you take up health insurance. If you are older than 30, then you will have to pay a 2% per year over 30 premium if you take up private health insurance after the 12 months.

Does that make sense?

S
This is interesting. I had no idea about the 2% per year loading thingo. I'm mid 40s and have just registered with Medicare this week, so I have a year from now to take up private health insurance at a cheaper rate?
Old Jun 1st 2008, 9:40 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SillyOldBag
This is interesting. I had no idea about the 2% per year loading thingo. I'm mid 40s and have just registered with Medicare this week, so I have a year from now to take up private health insurance at a cheaper rate?
From your date of entry. If you are 45 it will save 45 - 30 = 15, times 2% : 30% off the premiums.