Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Medicare - Reccie/Validation trip?

Medicare - Reccie/Validation trip?

Old May 27th 2008, 5:55 pm
Banned

Sooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really nice
Default Medicare - Reccie/Validation trip?

The scenario, you have gone and recieved your PR Visa, a great big orange sticker in your passport. You decide to validate the visa rather than take it whole and just go and move without even having a look around.

So on your validation trip you stay for say three weeks in Australia, are you covered by Medicare for those three weeks? If you get ill on your validation trip are you covered should you need to use Medicare.

If so, is there anything you need to do on landing in Australia, so you can use medicare on you validation trip should you need to?

Thanks.
Old May 27th 2008, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

denkar101 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Medicare - Reccie/Validation trip?

Originally Posted by Sooty and Sweep
The scenario, you have gone and recieved your PR Visa, a great big orange sticker in your passport. You decide to validate the visa rather than take it whole and just go and move without even having a look around.

So on your validation trip you stay for say three weeks in Australia, are you covered by Medicare for those three weeks? If you get ill on your validation trip are you covered should you need to use Medicare.

If so, is there anything you need to do on landing in Australia, so you can use medicare on you validation trip should you need to?

Thanks.
Australia and the UK have a reciprocal arrangement re Healthcare.
Applies even if you go for a holiday.
Hope this helps.
Dennis
Old May 28th 2008, 12:12 pm
Banned

Sooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really nice

Originally Posted by denkar101
Australia and the UK have a reciprocal arrangement re Healthcare.
Applies even if you go for a holiday.
Hope this helps.
Dennis

If thats the case, regarding my original post, your travel insurance is not required with regards to health cover?

Travel insurance only really required for lost suit cases or delayed departure really?

If you are a PR, then you have Medicare, if you are on hoiliday you are covered by the reciprocal agreement between the UK and Oz?

Sooty
Old May 28th 2008, 12:28 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

You still need travel insurance for medical expenses as far I am aware. The reciprocal agreement may not cover getting you back to the UK with medical assistance etc.
Old May 28th 2008, 12:48 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by moneypen20
You still need travel insurance for medical expenses as far I am aware. The reciprocal agreement may not cover getting you back to the UK with medical assistance etc.
Can someone clarify this for definate?

You are PR, you are on a validation trip, but you are still PR, what is your health cover situation? Are you covered by Medicare, if not why, as you are PR? That was my original question?

Thanks.
Old May 28th 2008, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

Hills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sooty and Sweep
Can someone clarify this for definate?

You are PR, you are on a validation trip, but you are still PR, what is your health cover situation? Are you covered by Medicare, if not why, as you are PR? That was my original question?

Thanks.
Not sure if this helps. You're right: you are here and you have PR, but unless you're in the Medicare system then they won't know about you.

You have to register with Medicare. You turn up (at a Medicare office), show proof of who you are (UK passport for example), evidence of your PR visa and an Australian address. They give you a temporary card/number (can't remember exactly) and then you receive your Medicare card in the post. I seem to remember Medicare advise that you wait at least a week (could be longer) after you arrive before attempting to register for Medicare - their system needs to be able to tally your details up with the Immigration system (which is updated when you validate your visa) to make sure you are who you say you are.
Old May 28th 2008, 1:23 pm
KVR
Just Joined

KVR is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to note also that Medicare covers you for public hospital only and also excludes things like if you need an ambulance to get you to any hospital.
Old May 28th 2008, 1:46 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hills Boy
Not sure if this helps. You're right: you are here and you have PR, but unless you're in the Medicare system then they won't know about you.

You have to register with Medicare. You turn up (at a Medicare office), show proof of who you are (UK passport for example), evidence of your PR visa and an Australian address. They give you a temporary card/number (can't remember exactly) and then you receive your Medicare card in the post. I seem to remember Medicare advise that you wait at least a week (could be longer) after you arrive before attempting to register for Medicare - their system needs to be able to tally your details up with the Immigration system (which is updated when you validate your visa) to make sure you are who you say you are.

You're probably best not registering for Medicare on your validation trip, as that is when the 12 month clock starts ticking in relation to taking up private health insurance. If you register with Medicare on validation, then take more than 12 months to return and take up your residence, you will not be eligible to be treated as a 30 year old when you take up health insurance. If you are older than 30, then you will have to pay a 2% per year over 30 premium if you take up private health insurance after the 12 months.

Does that make sense?

S
Old May 28th 2008, 5:52 pm
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Moneypen is right, travel insurance usually covers medivac - repatriation by air ambulance back to your home country with medical attendence.
Old May 28th 2008, 8:18 pm
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

I'll 3rd what Moneypen says...

You can use the healthcare system (works the same as in Europe on the E111) as Aussie citizens on hols can use the NHS here. However if you're coming back to the UK you NEED to have Travel insurance, because if you have a terrible accident, or a heart attack, or stroke then you need to have 'repatriation' cover to get you back to the UK... A health care professional and a 1st class seat are expensive if you need it... of course it's your money, and you are at liberty to spend it as you see fit, but you wouldn't catch me travelling without that reassurance!

HTH
Ali x
Old May 29th 2008, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

And what if you get ill en route? eg Singapore

Reciprocal cover is for emergencies only, ie not routine visits to GP etc.
Old May 29th 2008, 12:58 pm
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lesleys

Another good point!

Ali x
Old May 30th 2008, 12:36 pm
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lesleys

There have been numerous incidences on flights where people have been taken ill and have not been covered by medical insurance.

If for instance you have a stroke or heart attach and the nearest airport is Dubai you will be responsible for all medical costs. You will not be allowed to leave the country until they are paid. If you cannot pay them you will go to jail until a benefactor comes to your aid and pays all your outstanding bills.
Old May 31st 2008, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

Melchels is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
You're probably best not registering for Medicare on your validation trip, as that is when the 12 month clock starts ticking in relation to taking up private health insurance. If you register with Medicare on validation, then take more than 12 months to return and take up your residence, you will not be eligible to be treated as a 30 year old when you take up health insurance. If you are older than 30, then you will have to pay a 2% per year over 30 premium if you take up private health insurance after the 12 months.

Does that make sense?

S
word of warning! I did a validation trip, did not register for Medicare, when I moved over they took my validation trip as the eligible date! so it was only 12 months from the validation trip arrival that I had the age loading waiver for! Medicare is linked into immigration for your arrival date!
Old May 31st 2008, 3:28 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Melchels
word of warning! I did a validation trip, did not register for Medicare, when I moved over they took my validation trip as the eligible date! so it was only 12 months from the validation trip arrival that I had the age loading waiver for! Medicare is linked into immigration for your arrival date!
Hmmm. Seems to be mixed messages here. I validated in 2003 and arrived in 2006 - Medicare took my registration date in 2006 as my eligible date for the 12 months for private insurance to begin...

S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.