Making Friends?

Old Mar 31st 2012, 1:59 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Making Friends?

Originally Posted by DanSolihull
Does anyone ever go to pubs / bars on their own over here? Tempted to go somewhere for a few drinks but don't want to look weird haha.
Take a book with you, then you can sit and survey the scene while ostensibly reading and without looking like a billy-no-mates - I do that when I go drinking in either country on my own
Old Apr 1st 2012, 2:54 am
Forum Regular

DanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Take a book with you, then you can sit and survey the scene while ostensibly reading and without looking like a billy-no-mates - I do that when I go drinking in either country on my own
Might be an idea there, a book or a magazine..even if it's just not to look awkward
Old Apr 1st 2012, 11:28 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DanSolihull
Might be an idea there, a book or a magazine..even if it's just not to look awkward
Works for me You can then just melt into the background, or join in if you like the feel of the place
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 9:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
In the first instance you will probably make friends with other emigrants as you all have something in common to talk about. We have met some great friends through this site. Then as you get out and about you will get to meet some locals and build your own history with them.

The most important thing is to get out there. Unless you have extremely friendly neighbours (and we did - but not everyone does) then no-one is going to ring your bell and say "come out and play". You have to make the effort at least to start with.

BB
I agree - leave no stone unturned initially. I reckon you have to be careful about expats, and even going to meets though - I find the incessant chitchat about houses, cars, prices, wildlife, and how you got there, and money a bit tedious. Certainly, being an expat does not gurantee you will have anything in common.

Originally Posted by chris955
Making friends here is no different here than it is anywhere else, Australians are as friendly as Brits and once you get to meet a few you will start to strike up friendships.
:-)

Originally Posted by chris955
They tend to be called pubs but are definitely just bars.
I'm not sure what this means, Chris. Lots of people here correctly define the place they are talking about. There are pubs and bars, both are places to buy and consume... To me, one is based on a traditional 'hostelry' model, one is based on a city/urban shop front model. Maybe the clientele is different.

And in a pub/hotel in Australia, there is often accomodation too.

There's often a lot of chat about the lack of pubs in Australia...there are loads! You would have to be blind to miss them. Or live in suburbia!