Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Looking back at some of the old threads

Looking back at some of the old threads

Old Feb 9th 2004, 10:56 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of
Default Looking back at some of the old threads!! I'll eat my words!!!

I was looking back last night over some old threads that I'd answered (not sure how to attach them on here!) when I first arrived here. I too was very much in love with 'my new country' and wouldn't hear a bad /negative thing about it, especially when PB wrote something!! Eat my words now eh!! lol

There were lots of names popping up that I remembered from around May 2003 that were coming to Perth that haven't posted for ages. I wonder how these people feel about life here now? Are they loving it, are they hating it? Are they so busy and enjoying their new lives they have no time for this site?

Some people arrive in OZ and still spend lots of time on here, is that because they are so addicted or because they are bored with their new lives or is it because they are at home through not being able to get work (like me!lol)?

It does make you wonder doesn't it? Well it does me anyway!!! lol

Where are you Whiskey - Scoobydooathome - Poohkin - Teresa C ??!! and I'am sure there are loads more.

Last edited by janeyray; Feb 9th 2004 at 11:57 pm.
Old Feb 9th 2004, 11:01 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking back at some of the old threads

I would say silence is consent = they are happily into their new lives.

As for you lot still frequenting these pages - well, you need help of the sort I cannot give!!
Old Feb 9th 2004, 11:05 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Bix

As for you lot still frequenting these pages - well, you need help of the sort I cannot give!!
You may well be right about being happy in their new lives (lets hope they are).

I didn't find this site though till a few weeks after we had arrived here. If I had been posting way before arriving like many of them were I would certainly post my positive thoughts/views about life in their new country to make my point to other people migrating?
Old Feb 9th 2004, 11:06 pm
home again, home again

Originally posted by Bix

Forgto to add......

Will you still post? To let everyone know how much you are enjoying you're new life?
Old Feb 9th 2004, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

BookBear is an unknown quantity at this point

It's quite likely that these people who no longer post are happy with their lives and don't want to waste time posting on a forum such as this.

It is also likely that they are not happy, and are embarrassed that it's not as good as they built it up to be now they're here.

I can say this out of experience. I used to be addicted to a forum about pugs. I don't go back there anymore because, to be honest, I wish I'd never got our dog.

I pushed so hard for my bf to agree to getting a pug, and then used to gush all about how lovely my puppy was on this pug forum. Then when I realised I wasn't ready for the hard work involved in training an animal to live in harmony with you (think new floors covered in excrement, furniture with bite marks, constant playful biting of guests, having to arrange feeding when away etc etc) I stopped posting.

I guess we may never know, because they won't post again.

It's hard to admit you're wrong.

Let's just hope it's the first option.

Last edited by BookBear; Feb 9th 2004 at 11:21 pm.
Old Feb 9th 2004, 11:23 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Nara
It's quite likely that these people who no longer post are happy with their lives and don't want to waste time posting on a forum such as this.

It is also likely that they are not happy, and are embarrassed that it's not as good as they built it up to be now they're here.

I can say this out of experience. I used to be addicted to a forum about pugs. I don't go back there anymore because, to be honest, I wish I'd never got our dog.

I pushed so hard for my bf to agree to getting a pug, and then used to gush all about how lovely my puppy was on this pug forum. Then when I realised I wasn't ready for the hard work involved in training an animal to live in harmony with you (think new floors covered in excrement, furniture with bite marks, constant playful biting of guests, having to arrange feeding when away etc etc).

I guess we may never know, because they won't post again.

It's hard to admit you're wrong.

Let's just hope it's the first option.
Excellent post Nara. It is a reason I fear for those who are listing lots of reasons to leave Britain.

The only pug I have come across was an absolute nut case. At first it would have loads of energy and then run around like crazy. The poor little bugger had a congenital defect due to the purity of its breeding and its lungs could not keep up with it.

I can't imagine one at full throttle all day.
Old Feb 9th 2004, 11:34 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by janeyray
Forgto to add......

Will you still post? To let everyone know how much you are enjoying you're new life?
I like to think so but the way my visa situation is looking my new life may still be in Cornwall :scared:

Good point Nara makes. I had not really considered that possibility.
Old Feb 9th 2004, 11:39 pm
home again, home again

Originally posted by Bix
I like to think so but the way my visa situation is looking my new life may still be in Cornwall :scared:

Good point Nara makes. I had not really considered that possibility.
Maybe we could just swap houses!!! You have mine, I'll take yours in Cornwall any day compared to Perth!! lol
Old Feb 9th 2004, 11:44 pm
home again, home again

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nara

Thats what I thought, maybe it was the second option? I know I felt embarassed when I was reading my 'positive' posts and then feeling as I do now!!!!

The only pug dog I knew (well not personally!) was the one on East Enders... "Little Willy" Can you remember him!!
Arhhh you must love your dog though!??? I feel sorry for him now, I hope he didn't see you write that you wish you hadn't got him!!!
Old Feb 9th 2004, 11:53 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Maybe we could just swap houses!!! You have mine, I'll take yours in Cornwall any day compared to Perth!! lol
Yeah, it's a newish 4 bed detached with all mod cons just a mile from the town centre but in a quiet lane with no through traffic.
Have i sold it?
Old Feb 9th 2004, 11:56 pm
home again, home again

Originally posted by Bix
Yeah, it's a newish 4 bed detached with all mod cons just a mile from the town centre but in a quiet lane with no through traffic.
Have i sold it?
Yeh, mine is 4 bed detached (but worth far less than yours! ) just a few k's from town or 22k from Perth city!!

No money exchanged just swap!!! lol lol
Old Feb 9th 2004, 11:56 pm
dazuk

[QUOTE]Originally posted by janeyray
Originally posted by Nara

Thats what I thought, maybe it was the second option? I know I felt embarassed when I was reading my 'positive' posts and then feeling as I do now!!!!

The only pug dog I knew (well not personally!) was the one on East Enders... "Little Willy" Can you remember him!!
Arhhh you must love your dog though!??? I feel sorry for him now, I hope he didn't see you write that you wish you hadn't got him!!!

But what has happened to the grandmaster of yesteryear PB????

If only he would grace this now dead and defunct forum, overun by taffy monkeys and let us know of his adventures back in blighty.

Old Feb 9th 2004, 11:59 pm
home again, home again

Originally posted by dazuk
But what has happened to the grandmaster of yesteryear PB????

If only he would grace this now dead and defunct forum, overun by taffy monkeys and let us know of his adventures back in blighty.
Maybe he's enjoying his new life !!

Maybe he's to embaressed to tell us it's not as he thought !!

Taffy monkeys with over 5000 posts!!!!! Will he make it 10,000 with all his 'positive' comments about Oz when he gets here?!!!

Old Feb 10th 2004, 12:02 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Maybe he's enjoying his new life !!

Maybe he's to embaressed to tell us it's not as he thought !!

Taffy monkeys with over 5000 posts!!!!! Will he make it 10,000 with all his 'positive' comments about Oz when he gets here?!!!

I don't think he will get there.
Old Feb 10th 2004, 12:03 am
owieb

I only found this forum after moving out here. I don't post too often but I like to think what I post is a true representation of what it is like out here.

Plus I've been through a rather different migration process to the norm, going through 3 visas, leaving the UK before selling, working from home/for myself etc etc. So it's quite good to be able to share that knowledge and experience.

As for people not posting, I think it's not because they are having too much fun and enjoying themselves (as there are many of us on here that are happy and still post) I think it's more that things haven't worked out and they don't want to admit it. Which is a shame as their mistakes could save some people a lot of expense and heartache.

There have been some really good posts from people who are leaving and all credit to them for posting.

It's fairly easy to spot people who are gettting swept along with the whole immigration process and they are really going to come down to earth with a bump when they arrive. I'm not saying that they will be on the next plane home I just think they will have wished they hadn't dismissed all the advice on this forum.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.