Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

logan nice or not ??

logan nice or not ??

Old Apr 28th 2007, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

JosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud of
Default Re: logan nice or not ??

Originally Posted by The S's View Post
I'll second that
Don't like the place, too many poms

I'll second that - no disrespect meant to anyone as each to your own, but why move to a new beaut country to surround yourself with poms? Don't get it! Personally - and it's only personally, but one of the reasons i wanted to move out was due to aussie's being top folk - so would much rather try and integrate than otherwise! Sorry if this offends - only my opinion!
Old Apr 28th 2007, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

JosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sheli0508 View Post
don't shatter my dreams JJ - I'm making the other half look at driving distance to Ikea so that I can have a regular fix when we get over there......

please tell me it's roughly the same as the uk one's....

Shelley

Shelley - you're in luck!!! Not as big as the one in Birmingham (only one i've been to), but huge non the less!!!! There's a few of them about so it shouldn't be that long a drive!!!!
Old Apr 29th 2007, 11:55 am
BE Enthusiast

sheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to all

Cheers josie

how long does it take you to get there from coomera
Old Apr 29th 2007, 12:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

doub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JosieJ View Post
I'll second that - no disrespect meant to anyone as each to your own, but why move to a new beaut country to surround yourself with poms? Don't get it! Personally - and it's only personally, but one of the reasons i wanted to move out was due to aussie's being top folk - so would much rather try and integrate than otherwise! Sorry if this offends - only my opinion!
Don't let 'bandwagon jumpers' cloud your judgement - there are a lot of British in the Bayside and Kiwis and South Africans and Victorians and New South Welsh people and born/bred Queenslanders. This is the lucky country and living here, we are the luckiest (wherever you came from originally).

Believe this stuff about little Britain, frankly I don't care, I wouldn't have a problem if no more people moved here. Go to Logan, I couldn't give a rats ass!

Mark
Old Apr 29th 2007, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

kateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by JackTheLad View Post
I don't know what time you go to Finnegan's Chin. Most of the times we've been there, JTL was the only British person there (but now he's also an Australian!), and most other people were Ozzie tradies. At the end of the day, it's an Irish bar for gawd sake !! You wanna meet Ozzies, try going to Hogan's in Wello point.

That's a first, someone complaining about meeting non-Aussies in an Irish bar.

As for poms going to the Spice Avenue, what's wrong with that? For all you know these poms might be from different areas of Brisbane, not neccesarily all from the bayside. If there was an authentic Chinese restaurant somewhere in the area, you would expect to see a few Chinese too, wouldn't you? But you wouldn't say the area is full of Chinese?!

Mrs JTL

finnegans chin is my local and go there most weekends.

have made loads of friends there with about 90% being aussie, which is why i came to aus in the first place.

a lot of poms just seem to whinge all the time, you've only got to look at this site to realise that.

derek
Old Apr 29th 2007, 11:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kateandderek2 View Post
finnegans chin is my local and go there most weekends.

have made loads of friends there with about 90% being aussie, which is why i came to aus in the first place.

a lot of poms just seem to whinge all the time, you've only got to look at this site to realise that.

derek
So have you got any good recommendations on tradies in the area? Oh, wait a second, do you go to the one on Shore St in Cleveland which is closest to you, or my local on Birkdale Road?

JTL
Old Apr 29th 2007, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

Ding Dong is just really niceDing Dong is just really niceDing Dong is just really niceDing Dong is just really niceDing Dong is just really niceDing Dong is just really niceDing Dong is just really niceDing Dong is just really nice

Is Logan the same area as Loganholme ? Have been talking to a friend of a friend that lives in Shailer Park / Loganholme area that says the area is really nice, quite reasonable to rent or buy in , close to parks, shopping mall and Ikea. Are we being misinformed ?
Old Apr 30th 2007, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

s-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissie-here-we-come View Post
Thanks everyone for your very truthful comments,having considered wot you have all said think we'll have to look else where ?? dont fancy going to somewhere that, how do i put it nobody has a good word to say about ??

if you have any suggestions of areas to fit us any greatfully recieved,need to be pretty much near my sis at thornlands though as we both may need each other for babysitting etc,and get on with my sis great so would be nice to be near,having said that we are going to be staying with them for the first few weeks we hit oz anyway.

on the electrical side ,brother inlaw (a sparky too)has said there is an easier way now to get your licence (he did the going back to college way). by apparently doing something like a test that only last say three saturdays ,but he's gonna try and find out more for us ,think his mate who's just landed is gonna do it that way ? gonna try to find something on sparky thread ?

again thankyou for helping us out everyone !!

I here the Gold Coast is nice (see you there!!) We'll set up a babysitting circle with Sam and Stu too!!!! xx
Old Apr 30th 2007, 2:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JosieJ View Post
Someone told me once - when you decide to buy a house go to the nearest shopping centres, pubs etc and see what sort of people are milling around in them. If you don't like the look of the people/shopping centre etc - don't move there. It is so true!!!!!!
This is true but I would add the caveats for larger *lifestyle* malls.

Unless you live in a *really* swanky area, and/or frequent the malls which have catchment areas which only the swanky go to - most shopping malls attract people who have nothing better to do the world over.

Fountain Gate in Melbourne SE attracts all the suburban sprawl fringe, Chaddy attracts the inner suburban sprawl and the people bored/fustrated with FG.

Knox seems to attract a less bogan crowd and the likes of old Bordy. No need to thank me mate. You know because they have a decent bookstore there.

Socio-demographics - you cannot get away from them! Aussie suburbs, an ad man's dream.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 2:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sheli0508 View Post
Cheers josie

how long does it take you to get there from coomera
Hi Shelley - from us it takes about 20 mins tops to get to ikea at springwood i think it is
Old Apr 30th 2007, 2:37 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

we are thinking of looking at renting in logan,thing is we dont know much about the place,hubby is an electrician ,we have 2 kids aged 8 years and 2 years,and my sis lives in thornlands ,how far to drive to ,would like affordable housing,any info appreciated
Not!
Old Apr 30th 2007, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

kateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to all

So have you got any good recommendations on tradies in the area? Oh, wait a second, do you go to the one on Shore St in Cleveland which is closest to you, or my local on Birkdale Road?

JTL
hi jtl

we go to both but mainly the one in birkdale as we lived there in first 6 months. just bought a house in ormiston but think birkdale road will still be our local cos of the friends we've made there.

we sit with all the tradies and others in the smoking area. they are all good guys. a lot of movers, a pest man(who we haven't seen for a while now i come to think of it) a boilermaker, a painter(me) and i'm sure there must be others but can't for the life of me think. oh wait, a bus driver. they always come in handy.

as regards the curry house i agree with your wife jtl, we go there cos the curry is good, not cos they wear english tops. we also go to the thai place and the pizza place cos the food is good. and the bangers and mash is not bad in the chin.

derek
Old May 1st 2007, 12:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kateandderek2 View Post
hi jtl

we go to both but mainly the one in birkdale as we lived there in first 6 months. just bought a house in ormiston but think birkdale road will still be our local cos of the friends we've made there.

we sit with all the tradies and others in the smoking area. they are all good guys. a lot of movers, a pest man(who we haven't seen for a while now i come to think of it) a boilermaker, a painter(me) and i'm sure there must be others but can't for the life of me think. oh wait, a bus driver. they always come in handy.

as regards the curry house i agree with your wife jtl, we go there cos the curry is good, not cos they wear english tops. we also go to the thai place and the pizza place cos the food is good. and the bangers and mash is not bad in the chin.

derek
Well I'll keep an eye out for you, I frequent the smoking area occasionally (just to enjoy the magnificent view of the car park you understand ).

So if you hear a bloke with an irish accent standing in the smoking area it might be me... then again its an irish bar, so chances are its not me .

Cheers,
JTL
Old May 2nd 2007, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

Well I'll keep an eye out for you, I frequent the smoking area occasionally (just to enjoy the magnificent view of the car park you understand ).

So if you hear a bloke with an irish accent standing in the smoking area it might be me... then again its an irish bar, so chances are its not me .

Cheers,
JTL

it's an irish bar in name only.

the only irish person i've ever heard in there is my OH kate.

i'm surprised you've never heard her, she gets quite loud on a weekend with a few sherberts down her neck.

derek
Old May 2nd 2007, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

Thanks everyone for your very truthful comments,having considered wot you have all said think we'll have to look else where ?? dont fancy going to somewhere that, how do i put it nobody has a good word to say about ??

if you have any suggestions of areas to fit us any greatfully recieved,need to be pretty much near my sis at thornlands though as we both may need each other for babysitting etc,and get on with my sis great so would be nice to be near,having said that we are going to be staying with them for the first few weeks we hit oz anyway.

on the electrical side ,brother inlaw (a sparky too)has said there is an easier way now to get your licence (he did the going back to college way). by apparently doing something like a test that only last say three saturdays ,but he's gonna try and find out more for us ,think his mate who's just landed is gonna do it that way ? gonna try to find something on sparky thread ?

again thankyou for helping us out everyone !!
Baysid eis a good choice , although you may find it hard to find somewere to rent as places seem to be going as soon as they as are put on with an agent i have also heard that there are bidding wars over some place for rent

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.