Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

List of Sydney's unsafe suburbs

List of Sydney's unsafe suburbs

Old Dec 7th 2009, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: List of Sydney's unsafe suburbs

I am not very familiar with Sydney, my sis-in-law lives in a suburb (since the past 15 years) called Lindfield (closer to Roseville station though) and it looked pretty safe to me. And I think she mentioned most suburbs close to this one are nice as well.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plantpot
Coogee, Bronte, Bondi, Tamarama?????????

Have you SEEN the price tags there????
It's unsafe for your bank balance...... so still true in that respect
Old Dec 7th 2009, 10:30 pm
Banned

swigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to all

King's Cross is like going for a walk in Paradise Park compared to some areas of the UK. The only areas I would deem a bit dodgy are some SW suburbs if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time
Old Dec 7th 2009, 11:09 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by caliburn
Based on people's feedback on several threads, I have compiled a list of Sydney's not-so-safe suburbs:

Granville, Bankstown, Lakemba, Liverpool, Cabramatta, Fairfield, Mount Druitt, Blacktown, Auburn, Redfern, Campbelltown, Kings Cross, Wooloomooloo, Penrith, Macquarie Fields, Glenfield, Maroubra, Blackett, Whalan, Emerson, Plumpton, Coogee, Bronte, Bondi, Tamarama, Campsie, Wentworthville, Rooty Hill, St Marys, Parramatta, Greenacre, Punchbowl, Matraville, Lewisham, Glebe, Eastlakes.

Anyone wants to add/remove?
I have personal knowledge of: Mount Druitt, Plumpton, Rooty Hill, St Marys, Parramatta and Glebe, I have either lived there or worked there, or very close.

Certain parts of those areas are definitely not desirable, but I would also say they are pretty safe from an average point of view. Although, I do know some sections of Mount Druitt, Parramatta and St Mary's that I would choose to avoid at night time.

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Originally Posted by memewest
what are the 'safe' suburbs then??
All the ones where you can't afford the house prices.
Sounds about right

Originally Posted by ShawnMcCrea
I would take Kings Cross off of the list personally. ... As for a desireable place to live I would say no
I've spent an hour in that area (I used to work near it - in my accounting profession )

Safe or Non-Desirable ? A much bigger question.

Old Dec 7th 2009, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Everywhere can have problems just depends who lives there at the present time. If we are having a few problems in the street we live or lived in we cannot say that the whole suburb is a problem. Just because the area may have a lower socioeconomic demographic will not make it a bad place to live in my view. Personally I hate plastic suburbs with plastic people, like ordinary with ordinary people.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 4:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really nice

Bondi used to be bad then it was Coogee, then Clovelly got bad....then I moved again, this time to Perth!

Daft question; any suburb of a big city has the potential to be unsafe at certain times. Try walking around Chelsea or even Mayfair in London late on a Friday night!
Old Dec 11th 2009, 4:53 am
Account Closed

copa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by swigski
King's Cross is like going for a walk in Paradise Park compared to some areas of the UK. The only areas I would deem a bit dodgy are some SW suburbs if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time
i lived in kings cross a few decades ago ...

it has changed a lot since then ... yuppies and money have moved in .. i rememebr back in the day we'd wish each other goodluck if we went out late at night to buy milk or bread..
Old Dec 11th 2009, 5:45 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by copa
i lived in kings cross a few decades ago ...

it has changed a lot since then ... yuppies and money have moved in .. i rememebr back in the day we'd wish each other goodluck if we went out late at night to buy milk or bread..
Good luck for what though....

Old Dec 11th 2009, 6:56 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IvanM
Disgraceful. OK the Bondi hotel and Coogee Bay Hotel have a lot of assaults but you have to be hanging around there in the early morning to have an issue.
I once went passed the Bondi Hotel about 3 in the morning back in '92. The doors opened and a huge crowd fell out the doors fighting. It was Celtic Vs Rangers night apparently. It was just like those huge punch ups they had in the westerns.
Old Dec 11th 2009, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

michael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud of

If you believe what you read in the tabloids, western Sydney suburbs such as Fairfield and Auburn are 'unsafe'. I've been out there a lot and never felt threatened. The reality is that there is nowhere in Sydney that is 'safe', especially when there are people on the streets who are under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs. Look at the innocent tourists who have been beaten senseless in Coogee and Bondi. I have workmates whose kids have been mugged in relatively affluent north shore suburbs like Lindfield and Killara. Manly is nice during the daytime, but with the pubs at the weekend ... a list of unsafe suburbs is meaningless.
Old Dec 11th 2009, 10:50 am

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by swigski
I lived in Kings Cross for 2 years and wouldnt recommend it - living there is different to just passing through.

I never felt very unsafe late at night etc but lots goes on. My visiting friends had the husbands teeth knocked out when we were letting ourselves into the flat, I came home to people screwing against my doors, I regularly woke up to the lovely sounds of "White CAAAAAUUUUUNNNNNNT, YOU WHITE DAAWG" etc, we witnessed lots of assaults - I witnessed in court in one particularly bad one where the victim had his head absolutely smashed to bits, lots of my neighbours were robbed, my dog got a liking to syringes, I would walk to the train station to work and say hi to all the prostitutes - some pregnant. It was fine but mentally I found it exhausting. Its funny, the heroin addicts can be found in inanimate positions all over the place.

After a while I was worming all the vagrants dogs and was on speaking terms with lots of the street people. Many have mental illness and there are lots of vulnerable groups there. I later moved to rushcutters, then darlinghurst - still lots of roughies around but not quite so on my doorstep (although one transvestite did get stabbed in the neck and killed on my door which wasnt great. You want to see the cars that pick up those doggie old prostitutes - unreal - bmws etc. Obviously after something interesting.

I would live in darlinghurst though, loved drummoyne and five dock for family life. Loved Darlinghurst until I got pregnant

Viv

Vivienne
Old Dec 11th 2009, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by caliburn
Based on people's feedback on several threads, I have compiled a list of Sydney's not-so-safe suburbs:

Granville, Bankstown, Lakemba, Liverpool, Cabramatta, Fairfield, Mount Druitt, Blacktown, Auburn, Redfern, Campbelltown, Kings Cross, Wooloomooloo, Penrith, Macquarie Fields, Glenfield, Maroubra, Blackett, Whalan, Emerson, Plumpton, Coogee, Bronte, Bondi, Tamarama, Campsie, Wentworthville, Rooty Hill, St Marys, Parramatta, Greenacre, Punchbowl, Matraville, Lewisham, Glebe, Eastlakes.

Anyone wants to add/remove?
Would be wrong to say they are all not-so-safe... depends on if you mean not-so-safe or just undesirable to live there

Granville, Bankstown, Lakemba, Fairfield, Blacktown, Auburn, Parramatta, Greenacre, Punchbowl, Hurstville, Basshill, Villawood, Smithfield and Merrylands

Are suburbs mainly populated by immigrants or people of certain minorities, regular shootings between organised crime gangs and a total disregard towards Authorities or Australian/Western Values.

Campsie and Wentworthville are mainly korean/Indian suburbs are although probably safe enough.... wouldn't be the most attractive area to live in.

Campbelltown, Liverpool, Plumpton, Glenfield, Blackett, Whalan, Macquarie Fields and Rootyhill ... Mostly populated by Australian's often referred to as "Westies' would have some Social Economic problems you will find in most cities not necessarily unsafe area but more likely to have higher Unemployment and Social community issues.

Penrith and surrounding area's eg Glenmore PK are not bad places just miles from the city practically the Blue Mountains.

Bondi, Coogee, Bronte and Tamarama... Great Area's with some expensive properties but has High Population of Backpackers, Tourists and idiots etc petty crime like stealing bags from beach/ cars Breakins while at beach.. Drink related fighting etc.... not unsafe but just a hot spot for petty crime.

Eastlakes and Maroubra... Social issues same as some of the suburbs out west.
Old Dec 11th 2009, 12:11 pm

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

I wouldnt turn down a house in Maroubra though, nice and close to a lovely dog beach, easy to the city - would suit me down to the ground. My friend lives there - its fine. Not balmain but fine
Old Dec 11th 2009, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by viviennef
I wouldnt turn down a house in Maroubra though, nice and close to a lovely dog beach, easy to the city - would suit me down to the ground. My friend lives there - its fine. Not balmain but fine
I agree its not bad at all...
Old Dec 11th 2009, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by man_called_Horse
Would be wrong to say they are all not-so-safe... depends on if you mean not-so-safe or just undesirable to live there

Granville, Bankstown, Lakemba, Fairfield, Blacktown, Auburn, Parramatta, Greenacre, Punchbowl, Hurstville, Basshill, Villawood, Smithfield and Merrylands

Are suburbs mainly populated by immigrants or people of certain minorities, regular shootings between organised crime gangs and a total disregard towards Authorities or Australian/Western Values.

Campsie and Wentworthville are mainly korean/Indian suburbs are although probably safe enough.... wouldn't be the most attractive area to live in.

Campbelltown, Liverpool, Plumpton, Glenfield, Blackett, Whalan, Macquarie Fields and Rootyhill ... Mostly populated by Australian's often referred to as "Westies' would have some Social Economic problems you will find in most cities not necessarily unsafe area but more likely to have higher Unemployment and Social community issues.

Penrith and surrounding area's eg Glenmore PK are not bad places just miles from the city practically the Blue Mountains.

Bondi, Coogee, Bronte and Tamarama... Great Area's with some expensive properties but has High Population of Backpackers, Tourists and idiots etc petty crime like stealing bags from beach/ cars Breakins while at beach.. Drink related fighting etc.... not unsafe but just a hot spot for petty crime.

Eastlakes and Maroubra... Social issues same as some of the suburbs out west.
You have summed it up very well, thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.