Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

List of Sydney's unsafe suburbs

List of Sydney's unsafe suburbs

Old May 4th 2009, 6:57 am
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: List of Sydney's unsafe suburbs

Originally Posted by Seasider
Everywhere is unsafe to some degree. I live in one of the more expensive areas and in the last few months we have had the SWAT team raiding a sleepy little cafe via the windows (to arrest a couple of rather nasty men), an ATM blown up, and drunk kids fighting and puking just up the hill almost every weekend.

Successful crims don't live in rough areas, so you can move to Kirribilli and have a gang leader for a neighbour (and I don't mean Kev).

Of course some areas are more safe than others, and you have them included in your list but as PPot says, some of those you included are des res areas. They also get rough because they are at the beach and people go, have a good time, drink too much, get leery. If that's why you've included them, put Manly on there too
Areas near beaches are considered unsafe by some, especially during weekends, due to the reasons you have mentioned. This list is not a reflection of my personal opinion as I have not been to all these suburbs, its merely a compilation of people's views from several previous threads on the topic.
Old May 4th 2009, 7:21 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: List of Sydney's unsafe suburbs

I've heard the local mothers' meeting at Darling Point can get quite nasty if there's not enough cooking sherry to go around. Might want to stay clear of that place.
Old May 4th 2009, 7:33 am
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I've heard the local mothers' meeting at Darling Point can get quite nasty if there's not enough cooking sherry to go around. Might want to stay clear of that place.
Good find mate!!!
Old May 4th 2009, 10:15 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I'll send the Mrs round to sort em out. Its those armed with rackets down at the Tennis club that scare me.
Old May 4th 2009, 7:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of

Some of them I never experienced problems in and there are lots more I could list. It is a big city so you will have problems in all areas (or not as the case may be)

Originally Posted by caliburn
Based on people's feedback on several threads, I have compiled a list of Sydney's not-so-safe suburbs:

Granville, Bankstown, Lakemba, Liverpool, Cabramatta, Fairfield, Mount Druitt, Blacktown, Auburn, Redfern, Campbelltown, Kings Cross, Wooloomooloo, Penrith, Macquarie Fields, Glenfield, Maroubra, Blackett, Whalan, Emerson, Plumpton, Coogee, Bronte, Bondi, Tamarama, Campsie, Wentworthville, Rooty Hill, St Marys, Parramatta, Greenacre, Punchbowl, Matraville, Lewisham, Glebe, Eastlakes.

Anyone wants to add/remove?
Old May 5th 2009, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

Conrad242 is a glorious beacon of lightConrad242 is a glorious beacon of lightConrad242 is a glorious beacon of lightConrad242 is a glorious beacon of lightConrad242 is a glorious beacon of lightConrad242 is a glorious beacon of lightConrad242 is a glorious beacon of lightConrad242 is a glorious beacon of lightConrad242 is a glorious beacon of lightConrad242 is a glorious beacon of lightConrad242 is a glorious beacon of light

in Sydney there are also very famous suburbs called Guildford and Hurstville.. famous for being gang and drug ridden places, also Rockdale has high number of robberies
Old May 6th 2009, 11:12 am
mjj
Forum Regular

mjj has a spectacular aura aboutmjj has a spectacular aura aboutmjj has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by IvanM
Disgraceful. OK the Bondi hotel and Coogee Bay Hotel have a lot of assaults but you have to be hanging around there in the early morning to have an issue.
And you could always have a chocolate ice cream at the Coogee Bay Hotel whilst you are waiting!!
Old May 6th 2009, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mjj
And you could always have a chocolate ice cream at the Coogee Bay Hotel whilst you are waiting!!
This could also possibly be the easiest way to be a millionnaire!!! Yep, thats how much Coogee Bay Hotel paid someone for trying their gourmet ice cream.
Old May 6th 2009, 11:27 am
mjj
Forum Regular

mjj has a spectacular aura aboutmjj has a spectacular aura aboutmjj has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by caliburn
This could also possibly be the easiest way to be a millionnaire!!! Yep, thats how much Coogee Bay Hotel paid someone for trying their gourmet ice cream.
Sounds like a load of crap to me!!
Old May 6th 2009, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mjj
Sounds like a load of crap to me!!
I thought we both were talking about the same story..

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574...7-1242,00.html

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...001021,00.html

I heard this was settled out of court for $million+.
Old May 6th 2009, 12:27 pm
mjj
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=caliburn;7545638]I thought we both were talking about the same story..

We were. My statement was just a very poor excuse for a pun!
Old Dec 5th 2009, 12:55 pm
Just Joined

ally7 is an unknown quantity at this point

"in Sydney there are also very famous suburbs called Guildford and Hurstville.. famous for being gang and drug ridden places, also Rockdale has high number of robberies"

hahahahaha this made me laugh.....famous? LOL famous for what? these suburbs are in NO way famous, i have lived in Sydney for 17 years and nothing bad has ever happened to me, Sydney is one of the worlds safest cities it is also one of the top 10 most livable cities in the world and it is probably the safest larger city in the world. Of course like in any city you should be more careful if you're out at night but there are no suburbs in Sydney apart from Kings Cross and Redfern which are particularly unsafe. Hurstville? What a joke i have been to Hurstville numerous times and live close to Hurstville, it's an extremely safe suburb "famous for being gang and drug ridden places" hahaha thats just ridiculous, there are really no major gangs in Sydney this is not America or the UK, and i have never seen any gang violence or drug dealing in Hurstville. Australia is an extremely safe country, i would feel safe walking outside at any time of day or night in most if not all Sydney suburbs with the exception of Kings Cross and Redfern. Having said this Sydney is an extremely safe city compared to it's size, remember that Sydney is a large city so of course there will be some crime, i would feel much safer in the Northern suburbs then the Western suburbs, but i wouldn't feel extremely unsafe anywhere in Sydney. Most of the violence that happens on the streets of Sydney is on the weekends when people have had a bit too much to drink and get violent.

Last edited by ally7; Dec 5th 2009 at 1:03 pm.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

ShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really nice

I would take Kings Cross off of the list personally. The 2 weeks I stayed there I walked around at all hours of the night by myself without a problem.

As for a desireable place to live I would say no, its kind of dirty, lots of sex shops, street workers, drugies, etc. It definately does have its problems and maybe more so than other areas of Sydney. But depending on what your used to back home I wouldnt consider this a no go zone.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 9:26 pm

Hurstville is famous for nothing. Rockdale is infamous for the council being convicted of corruption.
Originally Posted by Conrad242
in Sydney there are also very famous suburbs called Guildford and Hurstville.. famous for being gang and drug ridden places, also Rockdale has high number of robberies
Old Dec 7th 2009, 9:27 pm

You do have to watch your back there but it is always busy 24/7 and you just need to be streetwise. The X also has the shooting gallery which is a place where addicts can shoot up. If they overdose medical help is at hand. Keeps them off the street.
Originally Posted by ShawnMcCrea
I would take Kings Cross off of the list personally. The 2 weeks I stayed there I walked around at all hours of the night by myself without a problem.

As for a desireable place to live I would say no, its kind of dirty, lots of sex shops, street workers, drugies, etc. It definately does have its problems and maybe more so than other areas of Sydney. But depending on what your used to back home I wouldnt consider this a no go zone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.